Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:17:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Motor woes, still

Started by 1javelin, May 20, 2012, 07:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1javelin

So my motor is still acting funny.  Its a 2000 Johnson 200, been rebuilt, last year I was having some problems and eventually it quit running.  Took it to a well known shop in Kalamazoo, figured that with a name like Van Dam they would know what they're doing.  Told me the whole electrical system was fried, asked if it had been near a lightning storm recently.  Some may remember TCook and I got hit by lightning on Magician a few weeks before that.  All got fixed, but the problems persisted.  Anyways, I moved, no chance of making it back there, and no money anyways. 

Here's the problem; when starting up it idles really rough, shakes and sometimes spits water from the exhaust.  Looked online and the water is normal I guess.  Then, it will randomly stop, like maybe the timing is off and a cylinder is missing its firing.  Sometimes it bogs down and cuts out as I'm putting the hammer down, again like it bogs out.  Seems to idle low and sometimes rough if I don't lightly press the gas.  Can this be an easy fix, since I know as much about working on engines as I do working on a space station?  I'm thinking its the timing, plugs, hoses, or carbs.  Hoping it is not the carbs, as those seem to be big money.  Anyone have these problems and have a cheap fix that works?

1jav
Live to fish, Fish to live.

Lightningboy

Well, to start with, let's have a little info.

Carbs, or EFI?  Also, what exactly was replaced?  That way we can know what has been eliminated as a problem.

Without that info, it could be anything from a simple TPS replacement, to an ECU.

So give us some detail about how it acted after you were hit by Lightning, what was replaced, and how it acted after the fix.

That Lightning is a b*tch ain't it?  Sorry, just couldn't pass up the joke... :D

Waterfoul

The easiest fix would be to sell it and get a Mercury powered boat.

Not sure where you live, but I have a guy here in the GR area that can work wonders with just about any boat motor.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

champion_206

I would first start with the ign system, check the output of your  stator  you will need a voltmeter with at dva,then check the output of your power pack, then check the output at each coil, does this motor act up when warm ? cold ? so many things it could be, I take it its a carb motor, so then the carbs should be checked, do you have the plastic bowls on the carbs ? those warp,did you check your sync n link ? oh isn't it fun owning a boat 
(Certified Evinrude Mechanic) Anglers Marine, Evinrude, Champion Boats,Crooked Creek Pro Staff

djkimmel

He's at college in Virginia right now.

Hopefully, it is something simple. I always start with simple and work my way up.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

1javelin

Quote from: djkimmel on May 21, 2012, 11:03:39 AM
He's at college in Virginia right now.

Now Dan, we made fun of the ESPN crew when they called us the other team from Virginia.  It's WEST Virginia, and it is it's own state.  Just razzing you, a bit.

Carb engine, no clue what was replaced, I'm not engine inclined so I don't remember that stuff. Does it hot or cold and both.  Not even going to attempt a voltmeter thing myself.  Sure I could, but I don't know what it means or why.Currently in Southern Illinois doing an internship studying largemouth bass.  Anybody this way with a bit of know how that works cheap?  College is more expensive than a boat, and with a baby on the way this winter, My boat may have to sit a few years before it gets taken care of.

1jav

Cy

Herman,

To start simple.

Check this first, I had this issue on my motor:  http://www.bbcboards.net/evinrude-johnson-motors/11790-throttle-roller-timing-arm-adjustment-60%2A-motors.html

De-carbon the engine.  If you have recently do it again.

Check the spark plugs for wear and replace if needed.

If it is missing, it could be a coil or the power pack.  If you have a cylinder that isn't fireing the boat will hardly get on plane and run 10 or 15 mph slower.   You can follow the spark plug wire to the coil there will be two wires on one coil.  The coils are on top of the power pack.  Coils are $60 or $80 and power pack is $300.

Not to take away from GLB, but I would also post the issues on the Evinrude/Johnson forum on BBC.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

1javelin

Thanks Cy, I actually saw that post on BBC and was going to at least look at it next chance I get.  Maybe tomorrow,we"ll see!  I'll probably ask a few guys there before too long if I don't figure it out before then.  Was kind of waiting to see if I even had the spare money to fix it first.

1jav

champion_206

go to BBC and ask championman about your motor, hes good, I am also certified for Evinrude motors as well,I work as a marine mechanic for a living and would give anyone on here the best advice I know Iwas just trying to help ya, but I would also get a 2nd opinion, Its hard to diagnois when you don't have the motor in front of you, good luck
(Certified Evinrude Mechanic) Anglers Marine, Evinrude, Champion Boats,Crooked Creek Pro Staff

1javelin

where are you located Champ206? I'll be in Southwest Michigan beginning of July for a few days, if I have the funds I would much rather someone I feel I could rely on get my money.

1jav

champion_206

I am in SE michigan, Belleville

djkimmel

Whoops! I forgot to add the West part in there. I was probably just typing too fast.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.