Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:50:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Grand River

Started by Duke, September 24, 2006, 09:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke

I'm heading up to the Grand River October 19. I'm planning on fishing it all day. Can any of you give me any advice? I've never been to this body of water before and am hoping to fish the river and Lake Michigan. I would appreciate any advice. Also, any navigational tips would be greatly appreciated.

If you're free that day, I'm looking for a partner.

Duke
Duke

canvsbk

Navigational tip: watch out for things that will rip your lower unit off. ;)

(sorry guys - private joke)

Spring Lake will appeal to the pier fisherman within you. However, neither it nor the Grand are what they once where. My guess would be the smallies will be off the pier heads by then - maybe not too - and will be chasing shad. The drill at that time is spinnerbaits and rattle traps. Of all the places to be in late October how did you ever come up with this one? ::)

Where you launching from? How far do you want to run? Do you insist on smallies?
Look past what they want you to see.

Duke

I heard the Grand River has been on fire all year!  ;)

I do not insist on smallies unless I'm on the big lake. Its my understanding that while on the river, LM are actually better? I'm willing to run as far as necessary w/o sacrificing my lower unit in the process.
Duke

LUMBERLEO

The river could be tough if we get a bunch of rain.? I would go to Mona or Muskegon.? Either of those to lakes can be super in the fall.? Mona is a small lake north of the river.? It will be on your graph.? The fish are easy to find and you can really get some quaility fish if you hit it on the right day.? If you go to one of them let me know I will give you a couple spots to try...? ? ? ? ? ? ? Scott

Duke

Yesterday I made the 2 hour jaunt out to the river and was humbled and fell in love at the same time. I didn't catch many fish, but I loved the challenge and fishing something with some size.

I launched at Mill Point Park. Nice facilities and free of charge. It is literally 1 minute off of 31. Anyhow, I idled out to Lake Michigan which took quite a while. I wanted to fish Muskegon. As I went under the 31 bridge I looked at the railroad bridge and got scared. I called Rufus to see if its safe; he didn't answer so I sucked it up and went through. I realized I was a paranoid wimp. No problems! It just looks intimidating. Anyhow, as I began getting close to the South Channel I noticed waves coming at me. I wondered if they were coming from the big Lake or a boat I didn't see. As I continued the waves got bigger and bigger. When I got to the riprap, the waves were 2'-3' and at the mouth of the pierheads they were between 4'-5'. They were bouncing around and coming from both sides; bumpy. Now, I was once in a 22' Champion that sank on Lake Charlevoix years ago, so I'm a scaredy-cat and it made me a bit nervous. I went out on the Lake and was in 5'-6' waves instantly. My little 19' Triton handled them just fine, but the wind was coming directly out of the west and it wasn't supposed to change. Thus, I was afraid after getting to Muskegon, those waves would be much bigger. Hence, I wimped out and went back into the Grand.

After idling back in I fished the riprap in front of North Shore Marina; those rocks looked too good to be left alone. Well, they should have been left alone. I threw a tube, dropshot, and jerkbait: nothing. Not that I would know, but it appeared that the waves were rougher than the spot is used to; 2'-3' waves were coming onto them. Next spot was the South Channel. This spot also looked good. I fished all the way to the first bridge and caught nothing. I did see a shore angler catch a decent coho...

On I went to the railroad bridge and 31 bridge. I fished both spots thoroughly with a tube, dropshot, silver buddy, crankbait, senko, spinnerbait, and jerkbait. Nothing. Next, I move to the 104 Bridge going into Spring Lake. Same results with the same baits.

Then I moved into Spring Lake and went looking for a shipwreck on the lake map. I don't know how I didn't go over it, but after searching for nearly 60 minutes, I gave up. I fished that area thoroughly and found some weeds but no fish. The shad were busting everywhere though. I was hoping to find some predators lurking nearby, but nope!

After 5.5 hours I have zero fish to speak of. I knew the conditions were going to be tough, but give me a break! I put my boat on a dock and ran across the street to a Mobil station to buy some oil; I didn't want to run out.

I then ran to an area in the second no wake zone and fished some shoreline on the west side. The map shows rock, but I didn't find toomuch. I got bit off by a walleye (I think). It might be good to pitch into during the warmer months with some green cattails, but no fish today.

Next, I idled into Millhouse Bayou and am I ever glad I did. Immediately I catch a fat keeper on a spinnerbait. On my next cast, same thing. I circle the entire bayou (not very big) and lost track of how many fish I caught; probably a dozen?? I didn't have a limit, but 4 keepers will be suffice today. That was a good way to finish. Caught the first few fish on spinnerbait then they stopped biting it, I switched to a wacky senko and they liked that much better.

I fished 10 hours and spent a great deal of time idling around and learning the river. Its tough, but awesome. Thats OK, I'm not afraid of challenges. Give me 2 more years and I'll be tough out there. ;) I have a new love in my life. I can't wait to get back. A big thanks to Angolajones & Rufus for some help out there. Lumberleo: thanks for the offer! Someday I'll take you up on that.

Duke
Duke

canvsbk

You school teachers have all the fun! ::)
Wish I had been here to go along, I could have been nervous with you in those 5 footers. ;D
Look past what they want you to see.

Duke

Something tells me you wouldn't have nervous in the least with your experiences in GT Bay etc.  ;). We'll have to hook up sometime this fall.

Duke
Duke

djkimmel

You don't want to run Lake Michigan if the waves are already breaking if you don't have to... especially with a westerly winds. One of my worst rides ever started that way. Not too bad when we left the Grand. Big rollers. But part way to the Muskegon, they started to break and kept building. Just in that short time they became the biggest waves I've ever been in. It was more than just rough. It was nuts!

We should have known better. On the way out the river, ALL of the tuna boats were coming back in already. One captain leaned over to us from his bridge and said, "you're gonna die out there." He smiled why he said it. I smiled back. Duh!

The bayous around the Grand can pretty good in the fall. Shad move into many of the pockets, especially off of Spring Lake. Been many years since I've done it, but I had some fun times just flipping to docks and water pumps... things like that, in the fall.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.