Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:50:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Hey, nice beaver!

Started by Savage, January 08, 2006, 03:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savage

Get your minds out of the gutter! ::)
I am thinking about picking up some of the new "sweet beaver" style baits and giving them a try this year.? I was wondering if anyone else out there has already tried them, and how they did.? I'm guessing the best way to rig one is with a pegged bullet weight, and then flip or pitch it to cover?

I fish the Kinami Norie Bugs a ton, so I am sure the beavers work in about the same way, but they have a bigger profile, so might get a few bigger bass to hit.? Any color advice?? I would guess green pumpkin and black w/blue flake would do most of the work.

Thanks.

-Brandon
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

djmaclf

I started using them on Lake St. Clair and the Detroit & St. Clair river.  Worked real well in the State Fish-off this year.  Got me a limit the first day.

I plan on giving them more of a chance on the inland lakes during club tournaments.

Cy

I used them last summer in green pumpkin and a blue and brown color.  The only time I caught fish on it was in the spring.  The bass were feeding on craw fish and they look a lot like a craw.  I will certainly get more and try them again this year.  I know a lot of other anglers do very well with them.

Cfruel
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

McCarter

Whatever you do, dont try them on Kent Lake and dont bother using them instead of a tube on St Clair near the mile roads in early June.  And if you feel the need to do so, just dont waste your time with any of these colors: Dirty Sanchez ( can i say that here?  it is the name of the color ) Watermelon\'Green Pumpkin, or White trash.

If these suggestions i have made are ignored you are putting yourself at risk of catching fish.  I cant be held responsible for any largemouth over 4 lbs or smallmouths in the 5 lb range that you catch.  You have been warned.

On a similar note, i lost the biggest largemouth bass i have ever seen in front of me on a Kinami Nories bug while fishing Wixom Lake.  I was way back in Davids drain pre fishing for an ABA tourney.  I hooked into a nice 3lber, landed it and released it and on my very next cast hooked into the mother of all green fish.  I only got to fight it for a few seconds but it jumped 3 times and it was close to the boat so i got a real good look at her.  I estimate the fish was 7+ lbs.  But she ended up taking my under a lay down and breaking my 8 lb Sufix line and my heart simultaneously.   

Beavers are awesome.  Norie Bugs are awesome.  7+ lb green fish, priceless.

PoorBoy himself :-\'

djkimmel

Quote from: PoorBoy on January 09, 2006, 09:56:31 AM
Dirty Sanchez ( can i say that here? it is the name of the color ) Watermelon\'Green Pumpkin, or White trash.

I was more worried about 'White trash' - those southern boys do get creative with names at times. As far as Mr. Sanchez, if he doesn't mind being called dirty, I don't have a problem with it.

Quote from: PoorBoy on January 09, 2006, 09:56:31 AM
I estimate the fish was 7+ lbs. But she ended up taking my under a lay down and breaking my 8 lb Sufix line and my heart simultaneously.

WHAT the heck would you be doing using only 8 lb test line while throwing something called Dirty Sanchez or White trash???? Do you think Denny Brauer would be caught dead throwing 8 lb test around wood and big green hogs??? No!

If you want to go light line - 17 lb is the bottom limit I think when you are after green bass up the creek around the wood. I'm sure Denny would back me up on that!!! (If he'd return my calls or email) ;D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Revtro

This has nothing to do with the Beav, but PB I feel your pain.? I was experimenting with a "precision wound mono" all last season and lost more fish than I ever have before.? More baits too.? I loved the way it casts, but won't be using it this year.? It seemed to have a TON of stretch and I got tired of breaking off.? I fished anything from 10 to 17.? At the end of the season I lost a good jerkbait on 17lb test.? Grrr.

On a different note... Dan, at a BMU a couple of years ago Denny said his idea of light line is 20lb at the bottom end.? I wonder what he'd use on St. Clair in mid-summer.? He basically swore to all of us at the seminar that he'd never be caught dead fishing less than 20lb test.? Is this why guys like VanDam tend to do better in clear water situations?? Makes you wonder.? ha ha

Now, back to the Beav.? Is there a local dealer (East Side) for RI baits?? Or do you guys mostly order them online?
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

djkimmel

I've seen RI lures at BPS. Not too familiar with them otherwise. I'm going to be trying the Super Hogs from Zoom this year. They look really good to me.

I should have known Denny wouldn't go below 20. Curiously, there was a good writeup a while ago on Michigan's own Kevin Vida (I think on Bassfan) where he said his success improved markedly on the national scene after he went to heavier line and equipment.

I wonder how often we could get away with heavier line here than we think we can? I know a number of the really good Erie guys use heavier line than I normally do. I've been trying heavier line on the clear water that past few seasons off and on. I'll keep working on it.

I usually use line that meets the needs of the presentation anyway, so when I use light line, it is more because I think it will give the lure I'm using better action or sensitivity.

Next time I see Kevin somewhere, I'll have to ask him if he has changed how he fishes in Michigan too.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Savage

Poorboy, I feel your pain.? I think I lost that same bass at Wixom on the Norie Bug, but he was only about 6 pounds back then.? Blakstr1 was with me that day and can testify, she was a toad.? I ended up with 2nd place by a pound or two, with only 3 fish for the day.? DANG!? I still got the "bigfish" for the tournament, with the Norie bug, of course.? Nories are good to throw at Wixom, that's for dang sure.

Is anybody rigging these beavers on a jighead?? Any tricks I should use to make the presentation better?? Super glue, trimming, etc?

Thanks, guys

P.S.? I throw the nories on 14 lb mono if the waters clear, and stick with Fireline if I can get away with it in stained water.? Don't know about that 8 lb. test.....
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

McCarter

It was a tough bite and i was 'finesse' fishing for those stuborn jerks.  I wasnt flipping i was just working the outside weedline that runs along the channel edge.

But there happened to be a big laydown coming off shore and that big girl knew exactly where it was, and she didnt hesitate to use it to her advantage.

Denny wont answer my calls either.  However, i do have in my possesion one Shaw Grigsbys cel number if anyone wants it.  Lets say we start the bidding at $20.00 and go from there, do i hear $25???  25 25 25 can i hear 30?  30 we got 30, 30 going once, no theres 35.......

PoorBoy himself :-\'

P.S.  Incase Mr Sanchez is lurking, i meant no offense 8)

Savage

I think I know the laydown you are talking about.....

I'm sure "Mr. Sanchez" will not mind.  I laughed till I puked when I found out what they named that color, we were justy talking about that "color" the other day at work.  What will they come up with next, a walk the dog topwater named "Doggie Style?"  (Can I say that?)

I'm still trying to get someone to tell me how to rig this thing, I want something that will get it up under a dock....

I see there are plenty of knockoffs of the Beavers already, Gander has a pretty good one for a good price, and Case Plastics has their version out already.  Hard to beat that Norie bug, though!
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

dartag

talked to my bro in florida this morning.  he fished ABA this weekend.  the guy he fished with used Smallie Beavers with a 1 oz weight and 65 pound line.  he caught 3 out of thick mats..   my bro had his michigan tackle and didn't do so well.  he was on his way to BPS in orlando to re-tackle... he said the Beaver Baits are very popular now in florida...
i told him  " shirley he will do better with heavy tackle "   he said  " please don't call me shirley "   

love that movie...

Cheetam

Quote from: Savage on January 09, 2006, 05:37:26 PM

I'm still trying to get someone to tell me how to rig this thing, I want something that will get it up under a dock....

There's a certain guy on this forum that is "fiscally challenged" who rigs it with a light jig head and wire weedguard.  I've rigged them texas style, on a ball head and on a stand-up jig.  I also have used them as a jig trailer.  If you're looking to skip 'em, I'd say a ball head or similar jig style or maybe Florida rigged.
Jeff

Savage

Thanks, I'll try that.  If I come up with anything that works, I'll let you guys know.
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

huston

Hey fellas, thanks for the laughs about the beavers. I saw the bait last year and picked up a few of the smallie beavers. I've since then picked up some of the larger size in the green goby color. At the show, Mike's RX baits has them and some nice thick tubes. Although it's hard to beat bite right tubes, I bought a few anyway. The beaver catches fish but it's not that durable, like the senko. Gambler, BPS and a few others make them? also. I want to know which is the toughes?

Savage

I picked up a couple bags at the show, they were made by Case, and called Sweet P's.  I like the size, not sure about the durability though.  I'll give them a good shot when I go pitching to docks and breakwalls.
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

Savage

I took a look at the Reaction Innovations website to get some rigging ideas, they look pretty versatile.  Check it out at

http://reactioninnovations.com/smallie_sweet_beaver.html

That's a link to the smallie beavers, which are a bit smaller, obviously.  They show a dropshot rig that has me a biut interested.  I also got quite a kick out of reading their color chart. :D

Another rigging option they list is using their "screwed up" jighead.  It has a corkscrew style keeper molded into the head of the jig.  Looks good, but dang pricey for my taste.  I was looking in the BPS catalog and saw that they have something similar, in a football head style.  Anyone else know where I can p[ick up some of this style jighead a bit cheaper?

Wonder if they need someone on their pro staff so I can get a discount??? :-\'
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

dhuff

Savage

Where id you get the mold?  I didn't know they had that mold out yet, or did you make one yourself?
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

Cheetam

Bob's Tackle Shack had an aluminum beaver mold for sale, but it looks like his site is having problems today.
www.bobstackleshack.com
Jeff

dhuff

The beavers I make are really durable.  Never had an issue.  I like them best as jig trailers.