Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:24:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

St. Clair Canadian waters

Started by JB, February 12, 2023, 02:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB

Is catch and release legal now on Canadian St. Clair waters
?
Thx JB

djkimmel

Not that I've heard. Did you hear something new? Where/who from?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

This is on page 11 of the 2023 Ontario Recreational Fishing Guide:
Quote"Open Seasons – Fishing season opening and closing dates vary depending on the species and the area. Dates are inclusive: all dates including the first and last dates stated in the summary are open or closed. It is illegal to attempt to catch fish for which the season is closed, even if you are going to release them. Fish accidentally caught during the closed season must be immediately released back to the water. Unless stated otherwise, species that are not listed (e.g. Rock Bass) have a year-round open season for angling."

I didn't see any exceptions spelled out anywhere about bass particularly checking Zone 19 (includes Lake St. Clair) and Zone 16 - the main part of Ontario along the St. Clair and Lake Erie waters. A few years ago I believe they 'liberalized' bass fishing season in one of the northern zones of the province. Don't recall which off the top of my head, but it was just a longer season, not year-round I believe.

When you ask some Ontario biologists they say they are 'protecting the spawn' though there's easy arguments that can't be very productive considering the Michigan season, seasons for other gamefish that overlap, and their own regulations in zones that open during the bass spawn. This idea of 'protecting the bass spawn' has been beaten to death considering only 3 states still have a 'closed season' but allow catch and release, and/or open before the majority of their bass spawn.

In Michigan, 70% of the bass spawn statewide happens AFTER the Memorial weekend bass 'harvest' opener. That's been true for 52 seasons. That's not me saying that. The MDNR handed out a statewide bass spawn map during the last bass season change stating 70% of the bass spawn happens AFTER Memorial weekend including almost all of the Northern smallmouth bass spawn that gets people so worked up about 'protecting the spawn.'

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.