Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:57:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Trailer wiring and Water Seperators

Started by Big dreams, April 22, 2012, 08:36:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big dreams

I am finalizing some things with the rig for season opener next weekend.  I noticed my passenger side blinker did not work.  The running lights work fine however, the blinker portion wouldn't blink.  I disconnected the wire and noticed it had three wires (Black, Green, and White).  Black is the hot, white is the ground...What does the Green wire do?  I am assuming this is the issue with the blinker as the amps to the light are the same as the left side which works fine.  Plus it is a new light that worked last year.  Anyone have any ideas?  I think it is a lose connection on the Green wire side but want to check before I cut and do a water tight splice.

Also, I am not seeing a water seperator on my '99 Triton.  Would that be hidden or after market for that year?  Is it really needed if it doesn't have one? 

customfishn

As far as the trailer If the running light works the blinker should work it sounds like it could possibly just be a bad bulb maybe,  Is it a 2 element bulb?  What motor is on the Triton?  Merc efi had the screw on filter seperator the Opti has the aluminum system on the side of the motor which has 2 small drain valves at the bottom which should have a rubber hose going from one valve to the other.   

djkimmel

Usually (occam's razor) the turn signal not working is the bulb if all wires are connected. Try the light from the other side and see if it works or not over there for a check before you delve into wires. I always keep a spare and the first thing I do if I don't see a broken wire is try the spare light.

I'm only guessing based on your information - the green wire is probably the wire that powers the turn/brake filaments of the bulb. Green is fairly standard for the right side blinker/brake light function on many trailers.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

motocross269

Big dreams

Quote from: customfishn on April 22, 2012, 10:42:21 PM
As far as the trailer If the running light works the blinker should work it sounds like it could possibly just be a bad bulb maybe,  Is it a 2 element bulb?  What motor is on the Triton?  Merc efi had the screw on filter seperator the Opti has the aluminum system on the side of the motor which has 2 small drain valves at the bottom which should have a rubber hose going from one valve to the other.   

It is a Merc. EFI.  So this one should be inside the utility compartment on the boat right?

Lightningboy

If it's a 3 Liter Merc, (225 hp up) it's under the cowling toward the front of the powerhead on the starboard side.

Big dreams

customfishn

It still should be under the motor cowl, its a spin on filter.

Big dreams

I have been messing with the right blinker on my trailer for weeks now with no success.  I have checked the voltage and it is the same as the left blinker.  I switched lights and that is not the problem.  I re-grounded the lights on the right side and ensured each connection was sprayed and greased.  I am beginning to think it is in the connection from the boat to the truck.  I would like to check the power output from the truck but it has 7 metal outputs.  Which output does what? 

The light comes on with no problem, it just doesn't blink.  If I look real close, I can see it trying to blink.  The blink is so faint that you can't see it unless your eyeball is on the lense.

Thanks Guys!

Redbone

Check your fuses under the hood.  Mine were acting up like that last year.  I ended up switching to LED's this year to make sure that was not a problem.  Long story short I ended up having a blown fuse under the hood.  I really think this was the culprit from last years trouble.  They have been working like a champ ever since.

stackenem

check the hookup between the truck and trailer if any of the connectors are corroded it will not give a good connection. Just take a piece of emery board and clean them up. Had the same problem this spring and that took care of it. Look for green and make it clean
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

Big dreams

I had the neighbor bring his truck over and I had the same issue.  I checked all of the connections again and looked at the 7 prong connector and did not see any green corrosion.  How much for a new trailer wiring kit?

Redbone

I purchased the two LED brake lights from Gander for a little over $60.

I would get something to test your connections first.  For around 15 bucks at pep boys you can get something that will work just fine. Start at your truck and work back.  I would not work from the back forward.  You could end up buying new lights and still have the same problem.

thedude

i've rewired my boats many times, however, since i switched the wiring to use outdoor extension chords, i haven't had any trouble. Get 2 20' outdoor chords at menards and cut the ends off. You'll need to splice the front into a new wiring harness, but they last forever and the mice or sharp spots on your trailer won't wear through them. Sounds like you might have a short on the one side if the fuse is good and the other side works.

Do you get full driving, blinker and break lights on the other side? also check voltage to ground on the truck at the harness:

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Big dreams

I appreciate all of the feedback on this wiring issue.  I was able to locate the problem late last night.  After dissassembling the plug on the boat, I found two wires that had come loose.  One was green and the other was blue.  I don't know what the blue does as every light works on the trailer besides the right blinker.  After hooking them back up, all of the lights work like they are suppose to!  Simple fix that took more time than it should have to fix.  I always thought about the plug but I couldn't see how the wires would be bad as no water gets on the plug.  I figured it was directly related to the light some how.  Now I can stop stressing about the lights and start fishing!  Thanks again to all that replied.

Lightningboy

The blue wire connects your back up lights on the truck to a reverse lockout solenoid.  Backing up a trailer with surge brakes will activate the brakes.  The solenoid is powered when the truck's reverse lights come on, shutting off the trailer brakes.

Even if you don't have trailer brakes, most wiring harnesses come wired for it.

BTW- in one of my rare strokes of genius, I put two amber clearance lights on the back of my trailer, wired to the reverse lockout mechanism.  That way I can tell if it's my trailer comming down the ramp in the dark after an evening Tx.  Of course I did that the week after I almost drove onto another guy's trailer in the dark because he had a black Avalanche too... ::)

djkimmel

That would have been pretty funny! That's something I would do!!! I don't feel so old now!! Good tip.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.