Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:12:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Walleye Fry

Started by Big dreams, March 28, 2012, 07:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big dreams

I just purchased a house that joins a few thousand acres of state land.  This past week with the warm weather, I began running through the trails.  About 2 miles back, I came across flowing water over the trail that seemed to have no rhyme or reason.  The stream which was betwen 1 and 2 feet wide and 1 to 2 inches deep ran over the trail and through the forest.  There was no river bed or banks as it flowed over the leaves and bounced off trees and what not.  The thing that really caught my attention was the fish swimming in this water.  I put my hand in to see what they were and one came up to my hand.  I pulled him out and it was a 2 inch walleye fry.  I put him back obviously but there were hundreds in the five minutes that I stayed and watched.  My concern is that stream is going to dry up and A LOT of walleye could die.  I haven't seen this before and was wondering if I am over reacting.  Should I try to contact the DNR.  That is a battle in itself as they never answer the phone or return phone calls.

Let me know
thanks

djkimmel

Nature usually needs to take its course. That may be normal for that area. Walleye often spawn upriver on bars. Those fry may be coming from where they were hatched? Or it could be an abnormal occurrence.

It wouldn't hurt to contact the MDNR and find out. It might take some effort this time of year for sure. You could always call Lansing and see if they have anything to say though they may just refer you to your closest field office. Unless there is a rearing pond nearby that broke open, I expect they will also take the nature take its course option.

But I could be wrong and it would be a shame if there is a rearing pond nearby that has failed. Lansing might be able to at least answer that question 517-373-1280.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

fishstick

Big Dreams,

I've done some work on larval walleyes in the past (2 years on the muskegon riv). It's doubtful that they are actually walleyes based on the time it takes the eggs to incubate, hatch, and the larvae to grow to that size. I wouldn't worry about it too much but it has been a weird spring so who knows. If you have trouble getting a hold of the DNR and want to know if they are actually walleyes I'd be happy to take a look at one if you wanted to send me one.

Big dreams

I have been wrong before I guess.  I would be extremely surprised if these were not walleye though.  I will take the camera back with me next time I head out there and get a picture of one.  I will post it here when I do that. 

djkimmel

I'm not discounting anything this spring! It would be cool if you could get a picture. It is probably an aberration... though you never know? I sure don't know everything. fishstick would be a good person to show a picture too. He gets to play with larval stuff a lot!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

fishstick

Cool looking forward to the picture! What part of the state is this in?

Big dreams

Central Michigan area.  I live in Midland now.  I just found out a girl I work with is married to a guy that works for the DNR Fisheries Division.  I have not had the chance to show him yet but hope to soon.  Long story but I am healing from the last run out there.  Should be able to head back out tomorrow.  Stay tuned...

Big dreams

I went back there this morning and the fish were gone.  The stream was still there and flowing however, I assume the water temps dipped since I was out there.  I there swimming down stream toward the bay area so I assume they made it just fine.

fishstick

djkimmel

Still an interesting story to share. It would be something to know where they went and where they came from.

Got Fish??

That is a great story. But I am a little bummed out . When I read walleye fry, I thought, you know. We were being invited to come and eat fish!

Big dreams

Where there are small ones, there must be big ones right? 

djkimmel

Somewhere. Now, I feel like a fish sandwich too!?! I don't even eat fish very much.

motocross269

Quote from: Got Fish?? on April 03, 2012, 05:33:29 PM
That is a great story. But I am a little bummed out . When I read walleye fry, I thought, you know. We were being invited to come and eat fish!

That's kind of what I was thinking....I was looking for the time and place...I would have even brought the Hush puppies... ;D

djkimmel

I love hush puppies. Corn meal, pepper and onions. Yum. I like hush puppies better than fish.

blakstr1

Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

Big dreams

I did catch a 30 + inch walley last year on Chippewa Lake.  I didn't have my own boat at the time so the guy I was riding with made me throw it back.  Took 3-5 minutes to pull her in using 15 lb flourocarbon on my Quantum TE reel.  The guy I was with estimated it 10 lbs.  That was a tough day.  I didn't have much luck catching keeper bass, just short ones and then I had to throw back a walleye of a lifetime :(  sad sad day

djkimmel

Did you at least get to take a picture?!?

Big dreams

No I didn't get a picture :(  I actually did have a camera in my box but totally forgot about it.  All I can say is that is one lucky walleye.  Probably how he became so large in the first place.