Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:51:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Greatful

Started by McCarter, January 04, 2006, 07:58:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McCarter

I was just on LSCN reading all the garbage about the southern boat dealerships and then the newly spawned posts about advertising and sponsors and all that junk.  It made me realize how greatful i am that Lieutenant Dan started this forum for the rest of us who just want to talk fishing and leave the politics out of it.

When i first started reading and posting on LSCN, it was a great site.  It was full of information, almost everyone seemed eager to help others out, and it was a great place to learn and share bits and pieces of fishing knowledge.  Dont get me wrong, once in a while something would happen and things would get a little hairy.  I was involved in a few of them, but you learn quick the proper ediquette on these forums. 

These days it seems like every other post there is some other non sense going on in which everyone is bashing each other, pointing fingers, name calling, accusing, he said/she said, etc.  It is a bunch of bull honkey ( there, ive said it ).  It reminds me of the bass fishing home page.  BFHP used to be another one of those sites where you could sneak on and read an assortment of fishing related posts and really learn a lot.  It quickly went down hill in a hurry and turned into a highschool hallway with the 'popular' guys ripping on new comers and ganging up on less popular members.  It was so bad that reputations were being ruined over rumors that were started for no apparant reason other than to make someone else look stupid.  I know because a friend of mine was one of the victims.  My friend did nothing other than have a falling out with another member over god knows what, and the other guy started spreading rumors that my friend was a cheat and a liar.  He went as far as to give details on how my friend cheated in a tournament and won.  It was all lies but now my friends reputation is mud.  Even guys in other parts of the country know my friends name now and think he is a cheat.

This site is so different from the others and i know why.  The group of guys on this site all have the same thing in common.  We all love fishing.  Nothing else matters.  Save the drama for your mama.  Leave the politics to the politicians.  Lets talk fishing.  I love it.  So i just want to say THANK YOU to Lt. Dan and all the members who make this forum my favorite place to hang out (online).

Keep up the good work!

PoorBoy himself :-\'

Cheetam

Jeff

dartag

LSCN has turned in to the Jerry Springer show.  i am sure they will get it cleaned up..  i think Dan needs a striped shirt since he has been refereeing a lot..   i bet a day of sunshine would help all..

ss

MBell

I saw that stuff and thought the same thing, you would think someone sposoring the site and representing a company would handle their issues with the site in a less public manor.  It looks unprofessional and childish. 
-Matt

MBell

Oh yeah, thanks for the board Dan!
-Matt

dhuff

Right now this is the only fishing board I pay much attention too.  This board gives you a good place to chat and find out whats going on not only in your area but around the state.  Everyone seems to be pretty nice on here as well, I am not into all of that name calling BS.  Thanks Dan for continuly upgrading the site and putting your time into making it as good as it is.

joshimoto son

My Federation partner has been fishing tournaments much longer than I have. Message boards used to be for him...what this site is for us now. He was witness to a lot of the plague that started on "other" sites. He is a wonderful source of information and would be someone that would really benefit this site as a member. Dan knows who he is. But since then he, has vowed not to even use a message board... for the same reasons that PoorBoy talked about.
I've been on the Bassmaster's message board recently trying to find a boater to link up with to lock in a place for the Santee Cooper Open in April.
Those guys are some bashing mother... (shut yo mouth).

I am on this site everyday, and hope that I get to make a lot of friends.
I really do enjoy it, and hopefully, if this site continues the way it's going, maybe I can talk my buddy into joining.

Thanks Dan!!! 

Nice Post PB

Josh

blakstr1

yeah, thanks a ton Dan...  i just can't believe that "other" forum..sometimes I am in complete aww... :o
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

djkimmel

I know it has given me a headache or two over there lately...

But I agree to all of the above and the important thing is I can't be on here all day and night, so it?s the fantastic behavior and ethics of all of you I want to point out the most. THANK YOU!!!!!

I see the value of having a large number of people who can come and share, read and learn and it really bothers me to know good people ? anglers and businesspersons ? who won?t participate in Internet forums because of a few bad apples. Some probably won?t come back, but I intend to grow this forum as best I can through advertising and publicity? and of course all of your word of mouth is HUGE! Thanks for that too.

But this is my forum and I have complete control, so I will not let it go bad. Won?t happen. A bad apple or two might slip in now and then, but they?ll be gone fast. I promise! I don?t need everyone to like me, just all the like-minded people who share and behave like adults. Debate is fine if done impersonally. I want you guys and gals to all know I actually get email and calls consistently from people who are amazed about the quality, honesty and detail of fishing reports they find on here. Those kinds of things are golden. And I do my best to encourage all of those people to join and pitch in.

I would rather have 50 or a 100 quality members than 1,000 with a bunch of worms.

As much as we work together to keep it quality though, I think that is the best way by far to attract more quality people. There may come a point when I beg some of you to help moderate if we get a LOT of quality members. But, we?ll cross that river when we get to the ramp?

In the meantime, I have already recently bought one bit of advertising as a test. I don?t have the budget to do that a lot, but as a test, I see a respectable increase in visitors already. Hopefully, we snag a few more members. Right now, there are a lot more readers than members, but that is pretty normal. They?ll come on board as they see something that really interests them, so the posts of you existing members are very much appreciated by me.

I?ve also added advertising to my website as I?m sure everyone has noticed ? just a way to cover some costs and actually develop a budget for advertising, promotion and expansion ? even member benefits someday. It?s the beginning of a plan for controlled growth, but it is moving forward (I?ve had a number of interesting offers lately too). There will probably be products for sale eventually, but participation in the forum and all regular web pages will remain free to anyone who follows all of your lead.

There will be no obligation to purchase anything or use the advertising. It will just be there in case you see something that does interest you.

Of course, I?ll plug my personal sponsors too, but all I will ever ask is that you consider them when you are looking. No obligation or expectation to buy. No resentment if you choose something else you feel is better for your situation. I won?t keep track. I don?t work that way. I do have to protect my sponsors? (existing and potential) reputations and promote them, but that does not exclude anyone from mentioning other brands or models when they have something to say of interest to the other members and readers. It does not exclude disagreement or debate.

Outright promotion of a direct competitor to one of my sponsors? Just please read the rules and contact me first if you aren?t sure. Several people have done that in the past, handling it I think, like perfect gentlemen. (If I haven?t contacted you, then what you are doing now is fine with me just to be clear?)

I prefer to see no brands trashed whether I represent them or not. It is a tight market where a burned bridge can haunt you forever. And it is getting to be a tighter and tighter market all the time with mergers, and acquisitions, and losses. I truly believe if you have a good product you should be too busy saying good things about that product to be saying bad things about a competing product. That doesn?t mean comparisons can?t be made ? just honest comparisons that are thought out and helpful to other members.

Just keep doing it like you all have been. You all have been great about it. Thank you again! And anytime any of you has an idea or wonders about something to improve the site, please don?t hesitate to contact me. That is a huge help. Anything that can?t be done now, might be perfect later on down the road.

I?ll do my personal best to keep things fair and enjoyable for everyone so you want to keep coming back.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

cwinsiii

I  was on LSCN last night and thought Dan was going to burn up his computer with all the editing. It seems like some of those guy's think they have something to prove to someone, I don't know what they have to prove.

Thanks

Dan

djkimmel

My wife has been telling me for years that there's just too much testosterone in the world...;)

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Revtro

I have to agree.? This is the only site I've ever participated in where what you see is what you get...a bunch of regular, nice guys who are all about the fishing.? I've had the pleasure of meeting many of you and hope to meet more of you soon.?

I can't seem to enjoy myself on other forums which says alot about the character of the folks who hang out here.? But it's more than that...if Dan were like a lot of the guys out there in the industry, this place would attract more bad seeds.? But Dan, you're the real deal.? I think your personality is largely responsible for attracting like-minded people.?

Your wife is right though...there is too much testosterone in the world these days.? Why is it so laughable to just be a good guy these days?? There is no virtue in being a "bad boy", bashing sponsers, bashing other fisherman, and generally being a pain in the hind end.? Yes, she's right, too much testosterone and not enough grey matter to offset it.? Present company excluded of course.? ?:P
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

fishon1219

Hooray to all the members of this forum. I am generally a lurker and usualy dont chime in on any threads unless I have something constructive to add, but I find my self just posting away on this forum. GREATLAKESBASS.com Rules!!!!!!
Nemesis Baits Pro-Staff
www.nemesisbaits.com

Jmcfarland

You guys are all a good bunch. It is nice to have a good group like this. I ask lots of questions and everyone seems to help me out. Thanks everyone.

djkimmel

It is nice to see how things can be. No doubt.

Rev - I'll get on that site you sent me this weekend and check things out. We'll work out what seems best.

Post away fishon1219!

Jmcfarland - If all goes as planned, I'll be in your neighborhood this June for the first BFL. Maybe we can meet then since you live up in the nort' country.

As far as proving anything, I think we should prove that we can all catch more fish if we keep talking fishing...

Jmcfarland

DK- I probably wont be fishing the BFL up here because i will have to save my pennies from buying a new boat. Have fun and good luck.

spinninbug

I have only recently started these forum things,  my pal emeryj told me about this site,  I don't normally say anything but I enjoy reading all the posts.  It seems to me that most you guys are just as hooked on fishing as I am and it's easy to talk about things that we all enjoy,  esspecially with hard water, this gives us all something to do.  It's really nice to be able to go somewhere and get info and share ideas.  Thanks Dan.
Wendy

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.

djkimmel

spinninbug (and emeryj) thanks for joining in. I really do appreciate it.

Jmcfarland - figured you might not be able to fish the BFL itself, but I may need a practice partner for a day - if the day works out and you end up interested - just throwing it out there in case it works out.

Bronzeback5LBER

Like many of you have said already I appriciate what Dan has done with this site and I really enjoy coming to it and seeing what info I can get from you guys,lots of knowledgeable fishermen here.Thanks to all.And I have to add I really enjoy jcheetam and poorboys rousing each other you guys have a good sense of humor.
I ain't as good as I once was, but I was good once as I ever was

yukonjack2

Guys -
Ditto - not much else to say that hasn't already been said - I don't post much, but am not a lurker either.   I think the site has the success it does not only from Dan and the excellent moderation job, but all the guys and their participate as well.  I really enjoy the info exchange - as well as the occasional ribbing, and look forward to meeting everyone throughout the upcoming season.

Anyone going down to Ky/Barley for the NBAA championship?

Jack
Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them