Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:39:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Houghton Lake

Started by Langer, July 29, 2006, 10:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langer

I have a Club Bass Tournament on Houghton Lake Aug13th. Does anyone have any helpful info on some good spots to target this time of year. I have never fished it and dont have time to make the trip up to pre-fish it.  PM me if you dont want to disclose any spots out in the open.

Also does anyone know if there are any other tournaments on that Lake between now and then, just wondering on how much pressure it gets.

Thanks and Tight Lines!!
Wayne County Bass Anglers
-2008 President

Bulletproof

IMO, probably one of the toughest lakes in MI late in the summer.

I've beat myself up trying to figure out a good pattern for a decent sack, with really no avail.

Advice-- middle grounds will have largemouth, which can be had.  Problem is many will be small.  Might be worth fishing for an hour as one early morning spot.  I'd look to topwater for most early bites.

Next you could try many of the cuts around the lake.  They have some depth to them and should hold bass year around.  We took one good bass from under a dock in one of the bigger cuts, probably a 3 pounder, which is a great fish for Houghton.

Smallmouth are almost impossible to find in the late summer, but if you do you could really put together a winning sack.  I spent many hours fishing breaks, holes etc...Couldn't hook a smallie..  It seems like if you can get on a shoreline early, with a nice breakwall and flat you may get lucky and possibly get into an early topwater bite for brownies, if you could put together 2-3 fish between 2-3 pounds on an early bite you would be sitting pretty.

Weeds are all over, and should have fish, but they will be small.

I hate Houghton after the summer gets going, wouldn't fish it unless somebody paid me too.
I am haunted by waters.

DennisB.

My mother in law has a house on the south shore, and I fished it many times over the past 12 years. If you find fish let me know, I avoid it untill late fall if I can. I caught smallies on the south shore point that seperates east bay from the rest of the lake, draging a tube on the drop. also some one was nice enough to sink 48 cinder blocks right out in front of the cottage in about 12-14 fow. they are scattered and invisable on the graph but they will hold the ocasionall walleye and smallie.