Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:38:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Alabama Rig

Started by StarBoard7, January 22, 2012, 02:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StarBoard7

Hey guys,

Does anyone know the regulations for the Canadian/ONT side of lake erie concerning the Alabama Rig or line's to hook ratio?

Also how about Detroit River and St.Clair?
If I read correctly they are legal in Mich waters is this correct?

I also believe Ohio waters is 3 hooks per line is this still correct?

Thanks for any info guys

Manxfishing

I'm not sure about Canada

In Michigan there legal
Dan asked the DNR and he's waiting for something in writing
But were allowed 6 hooks in this fine state

I do know Ohio is 3 hooks
So you'll need a 3 wire rig or run 2 teasers on a 5 wire rig

2bassinbob

I thought mi. was three poles. no more then three hooks per pole. I think I herd that from Randy Vandam. but hell I'm wrong half the time anyways ;D I used one on lake Bellaire in nov. Rely thought it would do good. All I got was a sore arm. :o
Live in Bellaire. favorite lake is Torch. favorite fish is the small mouth. my best is 8lb6oz. out of torch.

djkimmel

An MDNR fisheries staff from the Lake Erie area said in an email that the Michigan Law division said up to 6 hooks was legal. I've asked the Law Division directly hoping I'll get something writing myself because I don't want to post third-hand knowledge and have anyone go by it. I also always try to make sure I'm getting these types of things from Lansing.

There are a number of people who think Michigan is 3 hooks. Kind of typical when you ask various local or regional people about something new that you'll get confusing answers. Which is why I'm hoping for an answer from Lansing.

Not sure about Ohio. I can do a search and see what pops up. I have been told the limit is 3 in Ontario but I should probably confirm that too before I spread it. There are rigs that put a willow leaf spinner blade on 2 of the arms and minnow baits on the other 3. I can't see why that wouldn't be legal in a 3-hook state?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Manxfishing

No ideal were anyone would think it was 3 hooks in Michigan?

Hook and Line Fishing: Fish so taken must be hooked in the mouth. Fish not hooked in the mouth must be returned to the water immediately. No more than three lines per person (including tip-ups) nor more than six hooks or lures may be used. All hooks attached to an artificial bait or "night crawler harness" are counted as one hook. Hooks must be baited or attached to an artificial bait. You may use any number of hooks on one line for taking smelt in recognized smelt waters. Tip-ups and similar devices used for ice fishing must show the angler's name and address. All lines must be under immediate control. Hook size regulations exist on certain streams (see Exceptions to General Regulations by County, p. 16-18).

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10364_52261-211448--,00.html

Manxfishing

Dan,

Ohio is 3 hooks per rod and 2 rods per person

djkimmel

Do you by any chance have a link for that too?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Manxfishing

Dan,

Here's the reg's for Ohio

FISHING LINES- Anglers may not use more than two fishing lines, whether fastened to a pole, a rod and reel, or hand held. Anglers may use up to three hooks on each line, except as provided in the Ohio Administrative Code.

http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/dow/regulations/fishing_general.aspx

On other note
For anyone fishing Ohio waters
You might what to double check your safety Equipment
there a little different then Michigan, you do need a anchor and line aboard the boat

http://ohiodnr.com/watercraft/equipment/tabid/2727/Default.aspx

2k JIGS

From what I have been told from my Customers in Canada is they have a wire max. I have no idea if that is true, but I know I have sold a lot of four wire rigs up there.... Per land big fish

djkimmel

It would not surprise me if the Canucks took it a little farther / more specific. I will check into it and try to get some type of official response if I can.

Manxfishing

I myself don't fish Canadian waters

But like 2KJigs posted it's 4 hooks

"A fishing line must not have more than four hooks attached. A hook includes a single-pointed or multiple-pointed hook on a common shaft but does not include a snagger or spring gaff. The number of hooks includes any single-pointed or multiple-pointed hooks that are part of a lure. "

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsFish/2ColumnSubPage/STEL02_165347.html

These days. It's all online