Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:36:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

rear view camera

Started by StarBoard7, December 25, 2011, 04:17:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StarBoard7

Hello all,

I was thinking about purchasing one of those rear view back up cameras to assist when I am launching and hooking up by myself.

Anyone have any tips or experience with these and any good certain brands.
They seem to range from about 50 to 250$ so any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hoping for something that is decent price around 100$ and pretty easy to install.
I was kinda leaning towards a monitor instead of replacing my mirror?

Thanks guys.

LAPORTE

I was thinking the same thing .... We'll see who post ?
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

djkimmel

I have one but haven't hooked it up yet. I think I will before spring. It takes me a little longer to back up just right than it used to. I've been in a couple new vehicles that had them built in now. It will take a little getting used to.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

t-bone

I've had them built into my Ford truck for a couple years and you can't beat them for hooking up or for seeing how deep your bunks are in the water BUT I don't use them much for backing the trailer up. I think you still want to use the mirrors to get a fuller field of view and I want to keep that skill for when I hop in someone else truck that doesn't have it.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

Genie

That was going to be my question - how well does it work for lining up the trailer to the hitch?  Backing up is for the mirrors.  I just want to save my bumper and tailgate on the truck and thought about one of these to help hooking up the trailer by myself.
Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

smbassman

I've got one of the add-on cameras that hook up to the license plate screws.  I wired both the camera and monitor power to the reverse lights so it comes on automatic.  The video signal is wireless, so nothing to worry about there. 

Mine is perfect for lining up since I can just see the top of the ball, then I back up until the trailer tongue covers it and it is there the first time 100% of the time.  The only problem I have is ignoring the people standing back there waving left, right...a little more ....STOP!  But they always feel like they did a good job.

I would get a bigger screen the next time, mine is only 2.5" but it was cheap and I wasn't sure if it would work well when I bought it.

blakstr1

looking to get one over the offseason, starting to research for best bang for buck
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

t-bone

You can't beat these for hooking up. The Ford systems have nice guide lines that make it easy to get on the right path and to tell how far away you are. I put it on top of the ball every time. No waking the wife up in the morning with hooking up in the dark, early mornings. Happy wife, happy life!
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

Genie

Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

djkimmel

I don't think so. At least not online. Cabelas doesn't appear to either.

But Camping World has the Magellan Wireless Back-up Camera icon license plate bracket type that hooks into an existing Magellan GPS that is inexpensive - on sale right now ~$140. They more high end cameras and whole systems with small to larger monitors, many on sale right now under their Backup Systems icon category.

Walmart has a number of them including some really inexpensive models like the Pyle License Plate Rearview Night Vision Backup Camera icon for about $132 for this license plate model with monitor that includes night vision! Who doesn't love night vision? They have a number of night vision and regular models. Just click the link and then you should see a list of suggested products or search for 'rear view camera'. I saw a few from ~ $70 to $110.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Bender

I put one on my truck late last summer. It has a 7" screen which makes it easy to see, but a little hard to stash the screen anywhere. It works perfectly for putting the ball in exactly the right spot every time. The one I have is wireless, and if I had my choice I'd go for wired. I ran the transmitter right up in the cab anyway so hardwiring would be just as easy. My buddy had a few extras last I knew, if anybody is interested I think he is selling them for $100. If you are interested send me a message and I'll ask him when he gets back from Italy next week.

I found a video I made of me using it here. Not sure how to get the video to post here.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

SethV

I won't have a truck without one!  My wife's Suburban and my Escalade both have the factory system - makes hooking up the boat a "1 stop" operation.  Can't really move the dual axle Z21 around by hand, but with the camera you can stop right in the exact spot and crank it right down.

The wife has also hit a lot less stuff when she has the camera!   :D

djkimmel

a lot less... that's funny. To us anyway.