Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:40:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Under Water Camera

Started by LAPORTE, November 18, 2011, 12:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LAPORTE

I'm thinking about buying the wife a underwater camera. She and my kids like going out on the pontoon boat up at the cabin and looking for fish. What is everyone using out there ??? Screen Size. model and make ?

Thanks Don L
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

blakstr1

AquaVu's are great, i bought mine off eBay as there were a bunch of factory refurbished for sale on there, might be worth checking out.  repaired at the factory, small warranty included, at a great savings
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

LennyB

Hi Don,
I've had an Aqua View, Atlantis and now one I was given for free and cannot remember the brand but they all work basically the same. You have to have fairly clear water to see any distance. I was on Orchard Lake which has really clear water and I was idling around the island along the drop and could schools of crappie with a pair of big smallies off to the side. Another time I was in the Detroit River walleye fishing and dropped it down to were I was catching them one after another and the screen was blacked out with fish. The next morning I returned and after not getting a bite I dropped the camera down and confirmed they were not there anymore. They are good for confirming whether fish are on a known spot but you can waste a lot of time idling around looking for fish.

MSURoss

Look around in the Black-Friday adds... My dad got me one at Menards for only $65 a couple years back!!!

djkimmel

I'll have some Black Friday ads up as soon as I can get through them - making sure I don't report anything before I'm allowed to. Lots of rules. Probably because of the madness that happens on the ground! Not sure about any cameras.

I use the best one available - SeaViewer Cameras. They are more expensive than most of the small cameras but they are built to last years or a lifetime, not a season or two. I did this after going through one of the common brands in less than 2 seasons and watching Wayne go through 3 or so in a short time.

We use them a lot and it doesn't really take that long at $100 to $300 a pop breaking the other ones to equal one seaviewer. I've had it for years. Wayne has had is, and uses them much more than I do. The cable is heavy-duty kevlar-reinforced 1,000 pounds pull strength - confidence to use it anywhere!

Most anglers don't want to spend a lot on a camera, but I enjoyed watching what was going on and checking out areas so much, and plan to use more of the video in websites videos too, so I decided to quit wasting money on temporary cameras.

I only mention it because I think it helps to compare options and features, and decide if you end up really enjoying using it, do you want one that has a great, big picture and lasts verses spending less and possibly having the cable or camera break in a season or two. I would hope the small cameras are better now, but I moved on. ;D

Plus, I was getting headaches looking at the video feed from the small cameras for very long. They shake and wobble a lot at time because of their size and less stability. The picture from the Seaviewer is much more solid and clean. I use a small DVR they have available to record underwater video when I want to. Sometimes, I enjoy watching what is going on down there so much, I don't fish for a while.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: djkimmel on November 19, 2011, 10:27:15 PM
I'll have some Black Friday ads up as soon as I can get through them - making sure I don't report anything before I'm allowed to. Lots of rules. Probably because of the madness that happens on the ground! Not sure about any cameras.

I use the best one available - SeaViewer Cameras. They are more expensive than most of the small cameras but they are built to last years or a lifetime, not a season or two. I did this after going through one of the common brands in less than 2 seasons and watching Wayne go through 3 or so in a short time.

We use them a lot and it doesn't really take that long at $100 to $300 a pop breaking the other ones to equal one seaviewer. I've had it for years. Wayne has had is, and uses them much more than I do. The cable is heavy-duty kevlar-reinforced 1,000 pounds pull strength - confidence to use it anywhere!

Most anglers don't want to spend a lot on a camera, but I enjoyed watching what was going on and checking out areas so much, and plan to use more of the video in websites videos too, so I decided to quit wasting money on temporary cameras.

I only mention it because I think it helps to compare options and features, and decide if you end up really enjoying using it, do you want one that has a great, big picture and lasts verses spending less and possibly having the cable or camera break in a season or two. I would hope the small cameras are better now, but I moved on. ;D

Plus, I was getting headaches looking at the video feed from the small cameras for very long. They shake and wobble a lot at time because of their size and less stability. The picture from the Seaviewer is much more solid and clean. I use a small DVR they have available to record underwater video when I want to. Sometimes, I enjoy watching what is going on down there so much, I don't fish for a while.

That doesn't surprise me  !!!!!  lolol  You know, I'd prolly do the same.  :)

Redbone

Quote from: CMURoss on November 19, 2011, 03:11:25 AM
Look around in the Black-Friday adds... My dad got me one at Menards for only $65 a couple years back!!!

I stood in line for an hour for that camera.  Was time well spent.  It is a knock off aquaview and has worked great.  I wish I would of bought a bunch for my buddies.  I looked again this year in the Menards add but no cameras.  :-[

If anyone sees some in the adds like the one that was at Menards let me know.  I will buy a couple more.

Redbone

My theory is dont spend alot of money.  Those cords are long and are prone for shorts. 

djkimmel

For the small brands - that seems to be a common problem. Not for the Seaviewer. Thick, heavy-duy Kevlar reinforced 1,000 lbs pull. Which is why I bought it. Myself and too many others were having problems with shorts and bad lens on the other various brands. Don't know if they fixed that since I haven't looked at others after getting my Seaviewer a few years ago. I hate to feel anything I buy that cost more than $50 is 'disposable.'

I know sometimes others get to feeling that way too so I throw out one way I fixed the problem with underwater cameras. I wanted to buy 1 and have it last. So far, so good.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

cameraguy

Seaviewer is the best I have seen. You get what you pay for in most cases. The cable is very sturdy.
I need to point out though that you need a separate monitor. I use a small camcorder so I can record at times. But if one wanted to have a group watch then you could bring an inexpensive small TV, and a power inverter. That way you wouldn't have to crowd around a small monitor like those found on inexpensive underwater cameras.

bigjc

I have had an orifinal Aquaview for over 12 years, although, I really don't use it very often.  I probably only use it a handful of times per season.  Part of the reason for that is that it is so bulky, that I don't have room to keep it in the boat.  I usually take it out when I am scouting new water.  I use it most when I am ice fishing.  It is great for use in the shanty!