Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:51:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Lake Superior SM fishing

Started by bigmojet, November 18, 2011, 08:52:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmojet

Does anyone fish the southern shores of Lake Superior for SM. I go up to Grand Marais and Munising fish camping every year on inland lakes and every year say I am going to try it but never do. Locals don't offer much info and DNR hasn't helped much either.

I've read some things that once you get  over to Wisconsin waters on the big lake fishing can be fantastic. Can you imagine hooking some big Smallies along the Pictured Rocks  National lakeshore?

djkimmel

I would think there has to be some in the right pockets or bays. They probably rarely get fished!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

scot21x

Hey There,

That is a great question.  I have wondered the same thing.  Every summer I visit my inlaws in Houghton/Hancock area.  I have not made it out to Superior yet.

I would have to agree with Dan, they are probably out there, you just have to find them.

I emailed some guides up that way and they had no info for me on smallies in superior.

djkimmel

I'm sure I have heard there are big smallies along the peninsula. What is the channel that cuts through there? That's where I would fish.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

smbassman

Portage canal has smallies, some big ones too.  I think most of the Superior shore drops off deep too fast to maintain a smallie population.  If you were around shallower bays then I think you would find smallies like they have in Wisconsin & Minn. 

skeeter6217

I drove through the UP at the beginning of June 2010 and spent the night at a hotel. The next morning when I woke up I saw a bunch of bass boats. I asked one of the guys where they were fishing and they said the big lake. They told me the smallmouth fishing in Superior is some of the best in the world at the beginning of June. They also said once the spawn is over it's really hard to find a single fish.

djkimmel

Portage canal - that's the place I've heard is good for big smallies. I have to think there are small populations in certain places that don't get fished often.

djkimmel

Quote from: skeeter6217 on November 25, 2011, 08:39:46 PM
I drove through the UP at the beginning of June 2010 and spent the night at a hotel. The next morning when I woke up I saw a bunch of bass boats. I asked one of the guys where they were fishing and they said the big lake. They told me the smallmouth fishing in Superior is some of the best in the world at the beginning of June. They also said once the spawn is over it's really hard to find a single fish.

That sounds about right. Thanks for joining.

Bender

I drive across the UP every winter and always wonder about fishing up there. I have a personal list of lakes that I want to fish and after doing some research I am adding Chaquamegan Bay and the Apostle Islands to that short list. If the fishing isn't great at least it looks like some incredible sights to see at the islands. I think that I will plan a trip to go there next June/July, maybe stop by Lake Gogebic since I've always wanted to check that out too.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

djkimmel

Sounds like a good plan. I'm betting a few people will enjoy fishing reports from that trip!

bigmojet

East of Gogebic near Watersmeet look for Marion Lake. Been a couple years but topwater SM fishing is fantastic early and late in day with loons and bald eagles keeping you company.

I am definitely gonna try the  bay around Grand Marais and the island off Munising this year.