Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:59:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Best inland Largemouth bass lake to fish this weekend?

Started by Anthony Adams, September 01, 2011, 05:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony Adams

I just found out I have a 3 day weekend and I want to go fishing somewhere.

I am either going to fish a tournament or go fun fishing.

If I go fun fishing I was thinking I wanted to go for some Largemouth bass. I feel like some dock or trash fishing.

I was trying to think of some place I have never been fishing and boy is that hard to do.

I live in Genessee County and I would like something that can be a one day trip so it cant be more than 1.5 - 2 hours away max.

I was curious what you all thought was the best Largemouth bass fishery.

Also note if the lake has a healthy smallmouth population to go with it.

What lake has a great trash fishery.

Some lakes that come to mind for me are

Fletcher, Martiny, Wixom
Anthony Adams - As your director I believe in promoting the enjoyment of fishing to all. I encourage good sportsmanship and preserving of natural resources. I strongly encourage all individuals regardless of age, race, or gender to be more involved in the world of fishing

Skulley

I may try Tipsico or White Lake in Oakland County.  I always get the largies pretty good on both those.  White Lake does have a decent population of smallies too.  I have never been on the Martiny Chain.  If I went there, I would have to camp.  Been on Wixom several times.  The Dad of a co-worker of mine lives on Wixom up near Albright Shores.  Good fishing up that arm of the lake.  Got some pads up there in some deeper water.  Hold good largemouth.  More than likely though I will be going to Erie or St. Clair. 

BD                       ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Dan

Add a little more distance to that "Willing to travel" range and go to Hamlin Lake. Great largemouth fishing and it has smallies to boot. You hook a 12 incher on Hamlin and they fight so dang hard you'll be thinking its a 3 pounder. I don't know why some lakes have fish that seem to fight harder than others. Maybe it's the overall condition of the fish??? Can't go wrong on Hamlin, and if you get hungry on the water, go to Barnharts and dock your boat and get a pretty darn good burger. Decent fishing is important, but good burgers, now that's a make it or break it selling point.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Anthony Adams

I know Hamlin very well. At one time I would have said it's one of the best bass fisheries in the state. I've won my fair share of tournaments on it but it's been over 10 years since I've last fished it.

I have a good friend that lives near Hamlin and he tells me it's been down for some time. Looking at the tournament results I believe him. I don't think it's the fishery it once was.
Anthony Adams - As your director I believe in promoting the enjoyment of fishing to all. I encourage good sportsmanship and preserving of natural resources. I strongly encourage all individuals regardless of age, race, or gender to be more involved in the world of fishing

Dan

There haven't been many "big fish" caught there lately. However, there are an abundance of 14 to 16 inch fish that look very fat and healthy. The bigger fish weighed in many of the recent tourneys have been smallmouth which in years past would not have been the case.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Anthony Adams

I've had some big largemouth and smallmouth bags on Hamlin and it was once known for some excellent largemouth fishing. I've always liked Hamlin  I will definately consider. Besides I probably have a place to stay and a fishing buddy to fish with if I head that way.

What I am really looking for is a lake I've never fished before. Something new. I haven't done much frog and trash fishing this year so I wanted something that fit that category.

Dan

BIGSHOW

hamlin is awesome.I've stayed at Barnharts cottages on the upper part of the lake.They aren't to bad.For 70 bucks a day or so.Plus a place to put your boat right on the water.Always did good there for largemouth and pike.

Durand Dan

How about Maceday Lake? Large and Smallmouth. There are some giants!!

McCarter

Portage chain in pickney is another option.  Literally has everything you are looking for.  And there is a open tournament there saturday that dave wilson is putting on. 

McCarter himself :-\'