Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-07-11, 08:07:55
220+  boats in the Bassmaster Open on St. Clair!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 20, 2024, 09:00:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Friday 8/12

Started by Revtro, August 12, 2011, 06:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revtro

In my continuing quest to thumb my nose at Canada and find good fish in US water, we ended up having a great day today.  We rocked 'em good.  Tried a new main lake area and a new river wreck that I knew about but never fished.  Both of these areas produced very well.  The first area was near the shipping channel out in the middle of the dang lake.  All of our fish today came in 21 FOW or more.  The first area wasn't all that weedy but had lots of rock.  The action was steady from the outset here.  I pulled up on the area, threw out a tube and on the first cast got a 3 lber.  Over the next hour, I got 10 more that looked just like her.  I switched to a deep crank and got a few decent fish on it as well.  My partner dropshotted and never got bit.  He switched to a tube and BANG, nice smallie.  The smallmouth actually weren't the highlight.  This is gonna sound crazy, but I caught an 9+ sheephead and he put up an amazing fight.  For a minute I thought it was the smallie of my life.  But actually I wasn't all that disappointed.  It was a big fish and put up a good fight.  I know a lot of guys turn up their nose at sheeps, but I wasn't in a tourney, so a good fight is a good fight.  Lots of fun.

By 9 we headed up the channels.  We pulled up on a wreck I was vaguely familiar with and decided to give it a go for the heck of it.  We were plenty satisfied with our outing thus far, so I wasn't all that concerned if we caught any here or not.  So we fished the wreck which is pretty shallow and didn't get much.  Then I chose to make a drift down the dropoff and when I hit about 25 FOW I got a nice healthy 2.5.  It wasn't a giant, but a good keeper.  That was enough to make us stay a while and over the next hour and half we boated another dozen smallmouth, all of them keepers with the best probably going 3 lbs.

Had we stayed we'd have kept catching them in both areas.  Both areas had good schools going and a 3 lb average isn't bad for a day of fun fishing.  The 4s and 5s still elude me at the moment, but I'll take a day like this anytime.  We ended up our day at noon with 25 or so smallmouth, only 2 of which didn't measure.  Not too shabby for 6 hours.  It was a great day for this time of year. 

Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Firefighter Jeff

Looks like fun to me !!!!!!  Nice job  !!!!!

bigjc

Better than a sharp stick in the eye...and all under the "Stars and Bars," gotta love it.  If if weren't for fishin tourneys I would not by canadian either.  Although sonethimes in the spring, the river walleye bite is better on the canadian side.