Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:01:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Favorite Bib's /Jacket

Started by StarBoard7, August 09, 2011, 06:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StarBoard7

Hello all,

In your opinion who makes the best rain gear?

Looking for something comfortable to fish in..... not to bulky.

Something I can wear year round when needed even in the summer months with out being to hot?

Mostly fish erie.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

fiker

I have the Bass Pro - Pro Qualifier coat and bibs.  They keep me very dry and warm in the colder months. 

When it's 90 degrees they do not keep me cool.  I'm not sure they make rain gear that does.  But if they do, it'll be on my Christmas list next year.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

djkimmel

Hard to find rain gear that does both. I haven't found them either but up here going for the warm seems like a safe bet. If you do that, make sure you get bibs. I have never found a pair of rain pants that really works when the chips are down. At least for me.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

YpsiBass

My boss does a lot of fishing up north and when I needed rain gear he recommended Grundens to me.  Price seems ok at half a dozen internet shops online.  At some point I'm going to pick this up:

http://www.tackledirect.com/grundens-weather-watch-hooded-jacket.html

Dan

Bass Pro Shop 100 mph gear for spring, early summer, and  fall. Get yourself some frog toggs for the heat of the summer. My 100 mph suit is the best rainsuit I've ever worn. Top notch. Frog Toggs are cheap and work great for a hot summer rainsuit. Plus with both pair you have an extra suit to let your brother-in-law or some other once in a great while partner who goes out fishing with you and doesn't have or doesn't bring a rainsuit. You have a backup.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Redbone

Gill makes some of the best rainsuits. IMO.

bigjc

I have two pair of Gander Mtn. brand (H2O) bibs and jacket.  I am happy with both.

fiker

I have the Frogg Toggs also.  They work pretty good if you don't sit down on a wet seat.  Then it comes right through.

The other other thing I don't like about them is that I feel like I'm wearing a paper suit when I have them on. 

But, they do work fairly well, they are light, and they won't break the bank getting a set.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

cameraguy

My favorite bibs & jacket? The new Cabelas Guidewear I just bought after being featured here on Greatlakesbass.com. This sturdy set is Gore-Tex and should last for years. If big water is the destination then the weight shouldn't matter as much. If it seems too heavy while ashore you will change your mind once your boat ride gets underway. Either the air flow or water will cool you off even on a hot day.
     In addition, the price for this set was a crazy deal. $100 for the parka. $90 for the bibs. When I received the items the price tags were $220 & $210, which was about the price I paid for a similar set about fifteen years ago. Plus, an outstanding heavy duty duffel bag was included free!
     It can really pay to keep an eye on the ads here!

LAPORTE

I like the Ice Armour gear. It's very warm in the early spring and great in the fall. During the summer time it's shorts and a t-shirt..
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

dartag

BPS pro qualifier for me.    Just got them out of the boat for tomorrows fishing trip.  Guess if you have some and want to test them go outside today.   must be 20-25 mph winds with showers now.  Although is looks to be clearing a bit.   

bigmojet

Anyone tried the new Frabill extreme suit?

Very expensive.

bigjc

Quote from: LAPORTE on October 15, 2011, 10:21:09 AM
I like the Ice Armour gear. It's very warm in the early spring and great in the fall. During the summer time it's shorts and a t-shirt..
I have been eyeing the Ice Armour gear...it looks like great stuff for early/late season action, not to mention the Hardwater season.

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: cameraguy on October 15, 2011, 08:33:14 AM
     My favorite bibs & jacket? The new Cabelas Guidewear I just bought after being featured here on Greatlakesbass.com. This sturdy set is Gore-Tex and should last for years. If big water is the destination then the weight shouldn't matter as much. If it seems too heavy while ashore you will change your mind once your boat ride gets underway. Either the air flow or water will cool you off even on a hot day.
     In addition, the price for this set was a crazy deal. $100 for the parka. $90 for the bibs. When I received the items the price tags were $220 & $210, which was about the price I paid for a similar set about fifteen years ago. Plus, an outstanding heavy duty duffel bag was included free!
     It can really pay to keep an eye on the ads here!

I agree Cameraguy, especially with your last line.  I too noticed the post Dan made about the Cabela's on-line 50th anniversary sale.  I had $400 saved up for some nice raingear and took advantage of the sale.  I ordered Tall sizes but I still got it all for $250.  Now I still have $150 to purchase a lake map chip.  :)  Thanks Dan !!!

Waterfoul

I have the BPS Pro-Qualifer bibs and jacket.  Very happy with both.  Not for warm summer days though. 
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Bass Ninja

I have the 100 mph ones from BPS.  I love it.  I use it all year long and even for snowmobiling. Keeps me dry and warm.

Bass Ninja

Manxfishing

I have been eyeing the Ice Armour gear...it looks like great stuff for early/late season action, not to mention the Hardwater season.
[/quote]

I have the Ice Amour for the Early/late season it's good stuff and priced right

In the summer it's the Cabelas gortex and I have a pair of the Gill bibs

Mike S.

I have to say that after fishing these last couple of colder months, I am totally happy with my BPS 100mph Gore Tex suit.  It definitely keeps you warm and dry.  A little too warm for summer, but it is really worth the money.  I heard complaints of no fly in the front of the bibs, and apparently so did BPS, because my dad bought a pair, and he has an extra fly for those emergency moments.  Wish mine had that.

djkimmel

Just don't forget and leave it down this time of year... a little nippy!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Mike S.

No joke!  That would not be fun.

To add to this topic, we had Christmas at my mom and dad's house tonight. Dad got me the windstopper jacket for my 100mph suit. It makes the coat feel like a winter coat. It's great. Zips in real nice and stays in place. Warm, warm, warm.