Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:00:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Fixing my own rod tips and guides

Started by kgr624, July 24, 2011, 08:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kgr624

I have spent way to much money having other people fix my guides and rod tips. Time to get with the program. Where can I find rod guide and tip material to fix most of my rods? Thanks

Your either getting better or worse you never just stay the same

thedude

mudhole.com has everything you might want. Cabelas or Jann's netcraft will also carry many brands/types of guides.

The 2 things you need to know about sizing a tip is the ring size and tube size. The tube size is the ID of the tube on the guide/tip. It should match the O.D. of the tip of the rod. These are measured in 64ths of an inch. You can buy a tip-top sizing guage (plastic sheet with a bunch of holes marked by size) or you can measure the tip of the rod with calipers in inches. This will give you for ex 0.078125" inches. Take that number and multiply it by 64 = 5/64ths of an inch - therefore it will require a size 5 tip. They come in increments of .5 - (4.5, 5, 5.5, 6, 6.5 etc) so pic the one that is closest but slightly larger.

The ring size is dependent on brand - it is technically supposed to be the OD of the ceramic ring insert. This is hard to measure and different for almost every brand. Rule of thumb - the vast majority of tips used on bass rods are a size 6 ring. A size 7 is often used as well. Some rods with micro guides might use a size 4 or 5.  The good news is  it really doesn't matter what size tip you put on. If it had a 7 and you use a 6 or vice versa - there is no effect on performance whatsoever.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

5poundhooker

Well said, thedude. Wrapping them you would need an array of items to do. Either a power or hand wrapper, thread, rod finish, burnishing tool to tighten wraps, masking tape, brushes, etc.... You can learn how by watching You-Tube or other online videos. It takes a while to do a good job and oh yeah a drying motor or turn it every five minutes or so. Don't use Flex Coat especially on colored blanks it will yellow after exposed to the sun no matter what they say about improved UV protection. I use either Prokote or Thread Master rod finish now.

fiker

I've never done this but I wonder if an old rotisserie motor for the back yard grill couldn't be rigged up to spin a rod until it dries.

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

bassfan586

I have a couple rods that I have used flex coat on.  After 4 summers on the front deck I dont have yellowing.  I would like to try prokote though.
I have
Got one!

5poundhooker

The reason the yellowing is not apparent is probably the blank color. Flex-coat always yellows. You can't do anything to make it stop except buy another brand. It is fine for black or dark colored blanks, because you can't tell. Wrap a white blank and give it half a season and it will yellow or tan up like the 1st gen. Micro Magics did, but if you ever have to repair one it will match the rest of the guides later. It does go on clear, but even the new formula turns. Pro-kote is great and Thread master is ok also. In order to fix your own stuff you don't necessarily have to have a dryer, you just have to turn it over every five minutes or so. I wouldn't recommend this for multiple guides or full builds, but it will work in a pinch. Everything that you need to build your own rods could cost a hundred to thousands depending on how technical you wish to get. Good luck with it and use You Tube kgr624.