Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 04:48:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Post- MWM open report

Started by thedude, May 14, 2011, 10:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedude

Tcook, cy, khefner and I went back out after the open. After spending the day on the mile roads, we ran up into anchor bay to try a spot Eric gave us. Pulled on and got onto a couple sporadic fish, but good ones - 3 - 5lbers. It was pretty slow so we moved in near shore and setup with a good drift and  managed quite a few more bites in the last 2hrs in the same small area. A handful of 4s and Cy and keith pulled a another pushing 5 as well. Lost a lot of fish, but think i narrowed down the issue. Muskegon goby and brown craw seemed to be the colors of the day.

TCook also pulled a beat up 4lber with a lip tag which was pretty cool.

As for tomorrow.... where can i launch and get to some canals without having to deal with a 25mph NNE wind?
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

markgoetsch

Metro beach or decker's on the north channel would be the place to launch.

VinceR

Good job,

Justin. You can launch at the Metro Beach launch, and never have to see the main lake.

Take Metropolitan Parkway, past where you turn on Jefferson (to go to Harley Ensign), to the park entrance. Once you pass through the park entrance (toll booths) follow the signs to the ramp.

Once you launch, you'll see the first channel (across from the ramp, to the right). That channel goes for about a mile, with a couple that branch off from it. Or, you can continue to your right, and fish the main channel out to the lake. There are a couple of shorter channels that branch off from it, too.

Oops. I see Mark posted while I was typing (slowly).

Eric

I caught a 3-10 today that had a lip tag up there, too.  Hmmm, I wonder.

Assuming you aren't going out too early in the morning call me and I'll tell you some largehead stuff to go to.
www.ReelResponseSolutions.com
www.BassinWithEric.com

motocross269

I wish we would have started out in Anchor Bay....
I ran up in there as time was running out.....That area you guys were working was a favorite of Madwags and Jaywags...Jay took me in there a few years ago when I drew him for the open..So it is pretty cool that you guys caught fish in there this year... ;D

thedude

well, Tim and I decided we didn't drive all this way to catch LM. I can go out this time of the year and be miserable in the cold, wind and rain catching LM 5 minute from my house.... so we launched at selfridge and tried drifting our fish from saturday night.

HOLY CRAP was it cold, wet and windy! the bay turned real dirty (expected) and the waves were manageable around 3'. But the howling wind just drove the rain right into you and it was not at all warm! 

Right off the bat tim hooked up and lost one. I switched to a st. clair crayfish tube and brought in a 4.6 and Tim came back with another over 4 shortly thereafter. Made 2 more drifts, had 1 more bite and called it a day as we were both thoroughly soaked and freezing. It will be june before my boat dries out i'm sure.
Palehorse Custom Rods

joshimoto son

Don't feel bad!

I had a club tournament there going out of Crocker. My draw found fish in Anchor Bay and we took the waves head on, and was soaking wet before we even made our first cast. After one drift in the chocolate milk, we decided that the mile roads would be a better bet. So back down we went. Of course we were quartering the waves, so I was taking all the water.
Even though I was buttoned up really good, the water was coming through the vents in my helmet, running down my face and soking me from the inside out. We made it to the mile roads to make one drift and caught one LM and two SM.
Frozen to the bone and with a bilge pump that quit working we decided to go back to Crocker and put the boat on the trailer to drain and us in the truck to warm up for a bit, then head back out to fish the canals.
After about 45 minutes as we were just about ready to back the boat in, we got a call from the tournament director to say that the tournament was being cut short.
Amazingly, not one person complained and was more than happy to call it a day. We were all back at the launch by 11:20.

I don't think I warmed up until about 5:00.

joshimotoson ;D

thedude

the fun part was getting home after that beating and a 3hr drive and taking every tackle tray, bag, box, life jacket etc out of the boat and making sure everything gets dried out. i have a table in my garage with about 200 tubes laying on paper towels that got soaked... glad i looked or they would be swollen salt-balls by now.
Palehorse Custom Rods

joshimoto son

The only thing I took went I got home was a nap!!!! :D

joshimotoson  ;D

djkimmel

Tuesday was pretty cold too. Strong Northerly winds. Cold. Cold. Cold. Water had dropped over 8 degrees since Saturday.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

thedude

water temp was crazy all weekend. 58 friday morning 68 on friday afternoon 63ish all day sat and 58 again on sunday!
Palehorse Custom Rods

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: motocross269 on May 15, 2011, 08:26:00 AM
I wish we would have started out in Anchor Bay....
I ran up in there as time was running out.....That area you guys were working was a favorite of Madwags and Jaywags...Jay took me in there a few years ago when I drew him for the open..So it is pretty cool that you guys caught fish in there this year... ;D

Oh sure Brian, don't take me to any new spots you know.  lolololol  I still had fun though.  Thanks for taking me out !!!!  Pikemaster  !!!!