Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:50:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

St Clair is on FIRE!

Started by TCook, May 07, 2011, 11:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TCook

Myself and FooFighterJeff hooked up earlier this week for a 4 day trip to st clair. With the reports on water clarity and temps our expectations were low. Actually Jeff was contemplating calling it off but I was dead set on going.

5-3 We finally got to the lake from the west side around 10:30 launching out of crocker and was the only ones there. We were greeted with cold, wet, and windy conditions that lasted throughout the day. There was a muddy strip in the mid depths of the lake and a clear strip of water in the 8-9ft zone to shore water temps were 51-52 degrees. On Jeff's first stop along the mile roads we instantly got into fish my second cast and Jeff's first I believe on XR50s. We caught them nonstop for a couple hours until we decided to try other areas with similar results. Almost all our fish came on rattle baits and tubes. I think we saw a total of 6 boats all day along the mile roads and we fished till 8pm until we called it a day. We ended up with 111 smallies best five went 24 pounds and Jeff had big fish at 5-14. We thought no possible way it can get better than this in the coming days. WRONG!

5-4 We got on the water at about 7:30 with cloudy conditions which eventually became sunny water temps were slowly climbing up to 53 degrees. For the most part we did most of our damage in differend areas than the day before likely due to that clear strip of water now was stained and the fish moved on us. Although the stained water with about 3ft of visibility didn't hurt the bite in fact our catch rates doubled from the day before with better quality. We had a 20 pound sack in the first 20 minutes. Mid day the bite slowed but we kept moving until we found pods of fish and the whackfest would commence. Again 3/4s of our fish came on xr50s and the rest on tubes but the tube caught most our bigger fish.Totals for the day a whopping 219 smallies best five went 27 pounds and I got big fish at 6-1. Surprisingly we only Seen a handfull of boats along the roads again.

5-5 We are worn out and don't get on the water till 8 or so and are greeted with bluebird skies and high pressure. The water is getting close to 54 degrees but the bite has slowed around our areas along the mile roads so we move to a new area where we did well last year and found clear water. Got on the same hump and found a pod of 3-5 1/2 pound fish and caught them consistently for a couple hours. The baits that produced best this day were deep cranks and tubes. Totals ended up being 107 smallies best five at 24 pounds I got big bass with a 5-10.

5-6 Got out there about 7:30 with cloudy conditions and a front passing through, water is still stained but clearing up and temps are still slowly rising. All the areas that produced before was not anymore and we had to search again. Finally at about 1230 we got on em again and did the damage on jerkbaits, xr50s, and tubes. Had to take off at 3 so we couldn't hit that century mark for a 4th straight day and ended with 90.

This trip ended up being the best fishing we both have ever experienced and I cant imagine it ever being topped. Thats a total of 527 SM in 3 1/2 days most going 3-5 poundsI highly recommend the members of this site to fish the dk open next sat it should be a good one. My thumbs were so tore up I had to ware bandaids in the middle of the 2nd day. Ill post some pics when Jeff gets them to me.

FISH HARD!!!

Firefighter Jeff

Very nice job on the fishing report Tim.  You should have the pics by now.  Hey you forgot to mention that I had big bass the last day.  Eventhough it only went 4.13.  I also had a smallie double on a X-rap the same day.  I had them to the side of the boat and was contemplating how to land them and the smaller one worked off.  The one I landed was close to 3lbs. Tim of course had to "remind" me that if I carried a net in the boat, I'd have gotten both of them. lolol

Tim's right, I was considering calling off the trip.  I was worried it was going to be mud, similar to last years DK Open.  I figured I might be able to change things around and make it up there next week for three days.  Boy, I'm glad I didn't.  Thanks to reports from Bassfan586 and remembering that last year even in stained water, TCook got the 7.4 , I decided to give it a go.

At times it was just stupid out there.  I was as giddy as a little kid when we were catching them left and right. I'm not sure if the number is exact, but I remember saying to Tim on the day we got 219, that we had like 70 fish and it wasn't even 10 am yet, and to just think about that statement !!!!  LOLOL

Tim's a great fisherman.  We get along real well and had a blast fishing together.  He's a diehard and we put a lot of time on the water.  My back was reminding me most of Thursday and Friday of that.  lolol  Thank goodness for Advil.  :)  Oh and Dan, I would like half credit for the fishing report.  lololol

What a fishery !!!!  If it didn't take 4 hours and a bunch of money, I'd be up there all the time.  You members that live fairly close have me jealous with envy !!!!  I make it up once or twice a year, and am so thankful the planets were all in the right alignment and the weather and fish cooperated  !!!  It was truly the best fishing trip ever and one I'll never forget.  :)

Jeff

TCook

Jeff, Im sure I forgot to add a bunch stuff I am extreemly tired from 7 days of getting up really early with little sleep. There was just so many great moments its hard to recall them all. I want to say I really have the best fishing trips with you, its a true pleasure and I am fortunate you invite me along. I cant wait to do it again...

T
FISH HARD!!!

Firefighter Jeff

I teased Tim earlier about having to learn how to take better pictures.  I think he moves the camera a little when pressing the button.  It happens.  Some of the pics he posted are from a camera phone, since I forgot the camera the first day.  Here is another example of Tim's picture taking prowess. LMAOOOOOO

Ok, Ok, sometimes things happen when I am the one taking the picture also.  lolol

That's the rag hanging from the back butt seat blowing in the wind.  lol

motocross269

Great Report and nice pics....Your day on Thursday was definetly way better than mine...I will be back out next week to give it a go again...

From what I read on other reports it was a tad slow for alot of people this week(Including a guide that I know) so you guys did great finding those fish...Awesome job...

billy8878

Great looking fish, can't wait to get there in a couple weeks.

Eric

I'll be there Thrusday through Sunday.  That'll shut it down, guaranteed!!!!  Fire out.
www.ReelResponseSolutions.com
www.BassinWithEric.com

Mike S.

WOW!!!  That is awesome.  I hope it is crazy like that Saturday.  Eric, stay home.  No fire out.  If I don't catch fish, the black cloud rides home with you! ;D

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: motocross269 on May 08, 2011, 06:13:39 AM
Great Report and nice pics....Your day on Thursday was definetly way better than mine...I will be back out next week to give it a go again...

From what I read on other reports it was a tad slow for alot of people this week(Including a guide that I know) so you guys did great finding those fish...Awesome job...

I am kinda surprised at the other reports.  I know for a fact a lot of other fish were being caught on Friday just south of 11 mile.  And I mean a lot.  Maybe they didn't post.  The places we found fish seemed to almost change each day until we found them.  Tuesday and Wednesday we found them early.  :)

Cy

Quote from: Eric on May 08, 2011, 12:10:07 PM
I'll be there Thrusday through Sunday.  That'll shut it down, guaranteed!!!!  Fire out.

It better not!!!!  I NEED 3 good days of fishing Friday, Saturday and Sunday!  Eric if you screw it up I will have to kill you.

Hey, Cook and French Fry Jeff nice fish and nice report.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Mike S.

Yeah, Eric! >:(  Nobody catches fish, you get swirlies in the bathroom!!! ;D

djkimmel

Sounds like you both are the incoming leaders for the 2011 MadWags Memorial members tournament...

I received multiple texts from someone else who says they caught 87 yesterday with a 28+ pound best 5. They also rubbed it in with about 15 pictures. Why anyone would be vacillating at this point about Saturday is beyond me...??

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Revtro

Great report guys.  Now I know who to follow at the MWMT...  LOL  Nice job.  See ya'll out there Saturday.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]