Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 09, 2024, 12:17:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

crankbait diving depth

Started by dashaver63, August 20, 2010, 09:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dashaver63

When a crankbait is rated to dive to certain depth, what pound test line is that based on? I know smaller diameter lines make a bait dive deeper and bigger lines shallower, I'm just curious as to how baits are tested to dive to 22' for a DD22 for example.

play for keeps

im not exactly sure, but i believe as a standard they are tested with 8lb mono
nemesis baits

palehorse custom rods

thedude

may vary by manufacturer, but most ratings are done on 10lb mono.

using 10lb floro will get a little better depth.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Cheetam

A DD22 only dives to 17ft.  Most ratings (like Justin said) are based on 10 lb line.
Jeff

dashaver63

Manxfishing

Like others have posted most dive curves are based on 10# mono
or .0134 dia line.

As a genral rule
Fluorocarbon or copolymer line in the same test is one line size smaller then mono.
(So 12# Fluo or copolymer is the same dia. as 10# mono)

Other genral rule is
Going up or down one line size will add or subtract 1 to 1.5 feet to the dive curve.

Skulley

Being an avid crankbait fisherman, I have done extensive research on this subject.  Most crankbaits are tested for depth on 10lb mono with a .0134 diameter.  So essentially Manxfishing is correct in his post.  He is also correct when he said that going up or down one line size changes the dive curve.  However, it is said that the addition of subtraction of a foot to a foot and a half is not conclusive.  But I would say that is a pretty educated guess.  Rapala years ago put out a card with a matrix of crankbait diving depths when trolling the bait.  They were pretty accurate however casting is different.  A DD22 will go about 17 to 19 feet on a cast when cranking with 10lb test.  The DD22 will actually run deeper than 22 feet when trolling with 10lb test.  The other side of this is that a very long cast must be made for the bait to get to its maximum.

This is another one of those subjects that has many different answers to it.  In other words, if you ask 10 people you will get 10 different answers.

BD                     ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

fiker

What is meant by going up or down one line size?

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Manxfishing

One line size would be
Going from 10# to 12#
Or going from 10# down to 8#
Going from 10# to 17# would be 3 line sizes

Line sizes would be
6,8,10,12,14,17 or 20#

UAWBigDog,
If your after a Line conversion chart these days
You can find one in a Precision Trolling book
You look up your target depth and it will tell you what to add or subtract
for the differnet line size.

djkimmel

http://www.precisiontrolling.net/

He used to sell a casting version but I didn't see it in a quick site check.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

bassassasin88

The best set-up I have found for reaching maximum depths is a 7'10" cranking rod, 10# flouro, and your reel must be on free spool (be careful on free spool, one good backlash and you will be re-spooling your entire reel). With this set-up you can throw your crankbait a mile! If your getting too deep, and fouling the bait in the weeds, you can make a shorter cast, and or raise the rod tip. I know this is pretty common knowledge. I'm thinking about trying some 8# flouro on an extra reel, to get even deeper.

Bender

I have one of the Rapala books that shows their diving depths. It's a little old and doesn't show all of the baits but it is pretty good. If I can dig it up I'll look at it again but in my few tests it seemed pretty accurate.

I don't know if it helps or not but as soon as it hits the water I make a couple quick sweeps with the rod. I was told this helps get it down by making it dive faster. Then I start a normal retrieve. Anybody else do this? Do you think it helps keep the lure in the zone longer?
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

play for keeps

bender i give my cranks a big sweep when im really trying to get them deep, but other that that i just reel fast!!
nemesis baits

palehorse custom rods

bassassasin88

There's a good article in Bass Times (august2010) called "Ultradeep crankbaits". According to Pete Ponds a fast retrieve in the beginning, followed by a slower, steady retrieve, helps a lure achieve it's maximum depth.

Manxfishing

As a walleye guy that loves to troll
I can tell you
Speed has nothing to do with the depth of a lure  (Mark Romanack would be the first to point that out)
On a dive curve it's how far back (or how far you cast) that will determine the depth that the lure will achieve.
The other variable would be the line size. With .0134 dia. being the standard or norm

Reading into what  "Pete Ponds" has to say would be
The fast cranking get's the lure into the zone faster
After that you adjust the speed for your presentation

t-bone

The speed early is just to get the bait down to its depth as quickly as possible, then slow it down while it is at its maximum depth.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250