Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 16, 2024, 04:31:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Burt/Mullet report.

Started by Firefighter Jeff, November 04, 2011, 12:47:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firefighter Jeff

It didn't take much prodding to get my brother Larry to go with me on a trip back up to Indian River.  Why is it, that a week or two after having a great, satisfying trip up there with my wife, I can't stop thinking about BIG smallmouth????  Larry had fished the Lakedrive Tourney in October.  Between the two practice days and the two tournament days they really only caught fish the first day of the tournament. As a matter of fact he didn't even boat a bass on one practice day. I think he was wanting to exact some revenge on the bass.  :)

We headed up Sunday morning (Oct 30th) at 6 am.  The temperature was 27 degrees a couple hours out from Indian River with freezing fog.  It's a good 5 plus hour trip.  After getting a room and running into a few minor mechanical issues we got out that afternoon for about 4 hours or so on Burt lake.  The lake looked great !!

A couple weeks earlier, my wife and I caught some really big fish, so I knew right where to go. Well, ummmmmmm  that didn't work out so well.  The well was dry.  We could only scare up two 3 pound fish.  Water temp was 49 degrees. We saw very few if any fish at the 4 to 5 spots we fished.  We were beginning to wonder if spending all the money on gas and lodging was going to be worth it.  We'll try Mullet tomorrow.  Larry has more waypoints there.  :)

We got out on Mullet about 9-9:30  We fished the bay near needle Point.  I picked up a couple fish.  Nothing real big. 2-3 pounders.  One on a Spinnerbait and another on a xr50 rattlebait.  We decided to move out to deeper water.  We ended up fishing water from 8 to 18 feet deep.  To be honest I didn't think the fish would be there.  Seems most of the stuff I have read about fall smallies, are that they tend to be in shallower.  Either sunning themselves or feeding on bait that was looking for warmer water.  Well, I was incorrect. 

We slowly but surely started catching fish on deep diving crankbaits. It was by no means fast and furious but just enough to keep you at that area.  The fish were just stupid looking.  What I mean, is that they were like me, chubby  !!!!  I thought a couple of them were gonna burst open. They had such fat bellies !!!  The fish ran from 2 to 4 pounds.  I was using a Strike King Series 5xd, custom painted by GLB member Bassfan586 in a pumpkinseed pattern.  Larry was using a DD22 crank.

I caught a bonus fish at this spot. A personal best Northern Pike.  13 pounds 4 ounces.  I'm not a pike fan.... stinky things anyway.  But this one was a blast to catch.  :)

The catching slowed up, so we decided to try some other spots.  We headed to the Northeast end of Mullet.  We started fishing around a few weeds and I got a really nice smallie.  It went 5.9 on a White/chartreuse spinnerbait. Hope I made Dan proud  !!  lolololol

A short time later Larry hooks into a fish that just goes crazy after being hooked.  It takes a minute but we realize he has on a trout.  Or was it a steelhead????  Not sure if both are in these lakes.  It looked a little slim to be a Michigan steelhead I thought, and I doubted they had summer run up there. Either way, he had fun catching it and it was a nice bonus fish.  :)

We tried a few spots East of Aloha and don't see or catch any fish.  We decide to spend the last hour or so of light back at the Needle Point area.  We catch a few more fish on cranks.  Here is one of them.  A 5.7 caught close to sunset.

For the day we ended up with 36 fish.  I think we figured the best 5 went near 24 pounds.  I think Larry had one at 4.15.  Oh and we did get a couple fish on plastics.  Yamamoto, and me on a Extreme Bass Tackle St. Clair Goby NFT 4in tube.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out we went back to the same area on Mullet to fish on Tuesday before we headed home.  Same techniques, but different results.  At least for me anyway.  We ended up catching 26 fish in about 5 hours of fishing.  However, I think Larry caught 18 of them if not more AND he was getting the bigger ones !!!!!  Must have been holding my mouth wrong or something.  He was in the zone. I think I made him mad the day before and he was putting it on me !!  :)  I think our 5 best this day went around 21 pounds.  Here is a 5.6 that Larry caught.

I think I spent $250 plus on this short trip and it was well worth every penny.  Four years ago was the last time Larry and I had gone on a fishing trip, and I had a such a great time.  Even if we did have to wait a little on the battery charger.  ;)   

bigmojet

Nice report. I bet that trip memory will help when the snow starts flying.

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: bigmojet on November 04, 2011, 10:07:05 AM
Nice report. I bet that trip memory will help when the snow starts flying.

I sure hope so !!  :)

bassfan586

I need to get up there next fall.  I have had horrible luck the last 3 years.  Its rained or been extremly windy.  Thats awesome the crankbait bite was decent.  Still jealous.
Got one!

1javelin

One of these days we will get out together and I'll explain the secret to holding your mouth right. I can only do it while fishing though, can't swing it when I'm in the woods I guess.

1jav
Live to fish, Fish to live.

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: 1javelin on November 04, 2011, 10:49:34 PM
One of these days we will get out together and I'll explain the secret to holding your mouth right. I can only do it while fishing though, can't swing it when I'm in the woods I guess.

1jav

LMAO Herman........ deal  !!!!!!

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: bassfan586 on November 04, 2011, 09:58:48 PM
I need to get up there next fall.  I have had horrible luck the last 3 years.  Its rained or been extremly windy.  Thats awesome the crankbait bite was decent.  Still jealous.

Thanks Brad.  Yeah, they liked your pumpkinseed.  At least on Monday anyway.  lololol