Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 15, 2024, 07:02:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Do you think fish have calanders ?

Started by LAPORTE, June 06, 2011, 10:26:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LAPORTE

I seems that maybe the fish are in Summer Patterns already. Is this something maybe you have seen fishing already ?

Or maybe its post spawn I'm not sure. I thru a crank most of the night Thursday in deeper water and did really well on the walleye.

My partner was attacking laydowns with a spinnerbait. We still managed only one fish. I can't seem to get on any constant pattern.

If they were post spawn one would think they would be crushing the Trap/ Crank just off the ledges/dropoffs.  Or they could be guarding fry.....  ???

Don't mind me I'm just thinking out loud.

What are you thoughts other than Don is hopeless.... lol

Some additional info I met up with (Ellipsis) at the ramp Thursday he is nice young guy that is really passionate about fishing. If you guys have a open seat be sure to give him a shout.  Ill be doing the same

DL
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

matt

I don't know,But I did see bass Making beds 2 weeks ago on a small lake around here. Wouldn't surprise me if they are in post spawn already.  I'm doing really well catching Smallmouths on one river system,but can't seem to find them on another river system.

Skulley

Not all fish bed/spawn at the same time. I have read and seen video that shows that they bed/spawn in waves usually around full moons and dark or new moons. During these times crayfish are molting too. That means they are shedding their shell making them easier for bass to eat and digest. On LSC I have learned that the bass will start to spawn around the early part of May and not be done until the end part of June just as the mayfly hatch is starting. I have documented over the years up to 5 waves of spawning fish during that time frame. I believe that Thursday and Friday of last week (June 2 & 3) the second wave was in full cycle. I also believe that Mother's Day weekend was the beginning of the first wave this year. I believe this because of where the water temps were during these two periods. I don't believe water temp dictates when smallies are going to spawn as much as when largemouth are going to. On LSC I think it has more to do with how long it is light out as the days grow longer towards the summer solstice. I think we are in for some more great pre-spawn fishing especially as the spawning season moves south to the Detroit River and along the LSC south shore. Remember not all fish in a lake spawn at the same time.....especially on LSC and Erie.

BD.                       ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Dan

I have heard KVD say that he feels the full moon has more effect on when the spawn occurs than water temp.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

YpsiBass

Thanks for the props Don.  I've decided my boat is too small to hang around on Belleville this summer, but weekends I'll be heading over to Independence (no motors bigger than 6hp) if anyone wants to head over for some unreal small lake action.  Been fishing there for the last 4 or 5 years and it just keeps getting better.

Manxfishing

I myself think were in post spawn
Surface temps were 70 to mid 70's this week end
And the thermokline was at 20'

Plus I haven't seen a fish on a bed in weeks
And the bluegills aren't even on the beds, and they spawn after the bass

fiker

There were Blue gills on beds two weeks ago on Kent Lake.

I've fished two lakes in the past week.  On both lakes the bigger fish were caught in 1' or so of water, on fast moving swim jigs.

Now I don't know whether that means post spawn, or guarding fry or what.  That's just what I observed. 

We caught very few fish in deeper water.  But, it is true that on the lake where the water was pretty clear, the weeds were out and growing in 12fow or more already.

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

tigar

On the west side, bed fishing round TWO yesterday (sunday) at Hardy.

djkimmel

Quote from: Dan on June 06, 2011, 04:03:12 PM
I have heard KVD say that he feels the full moon has more effect on when the spawn occurs than water temp.

He seems to be a pretty smart guy when it comes to bass...?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.