Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 06:10:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Long Lake - ever fish it?

Started by Savage, January 14, 2006, 09:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savage

Hey anybody ever fished on Long Lake?  I should hope so, there are 80-some-odd Long Lakes in Michigan.

Where is everybody's favorite version of Long Lake? 

I'd have to say mine is in Presque Isle county, the biggest of the bunch.  It is the site of the Alpena Bass Club's annual spring open.  They have one there opening weekend every year, and man, is it a good time.  Sorting through 30-40 bass to get a limit of 7 is my kind of fun.  43 boats boats last year, and I don't remember anyone not bringing in a limit.

We had a club event there the next weekend, and we all brought in limits again.  Phenominal fishery.
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

djkimmel

That would be my favorite too! Only been there twice and whacked 'em pretty good both times. The first time was the day after one of the Alpena opens and I caught over 30 bass that day despite all the bass that were caught the day before (I guess everyone but one team limited).

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

blakstr1

SAVAGE -  so where is your other favorite Long Lake?  At the Alpena LL, do you catch more fish in the PI county end or the Alpena couty end, or doesn't it matter? :P

Long Lake Alpena is awesome..'nough said
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

Savage

Blakstr1-  I think we both know where the other favorite is, but if you spill the beans on THAT one, you are going to get keel hauled!

I'd have to lean towards the Alpena county end, at least last year.
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

McCarter

We do an annual trip to a Long Lake in Hillman, MI.  Its not far from Alpena but im pretty sure we are talking about a different long lake.

But we do well most years going up there in may to catch rock bass, but we always seem to do better on the smallmouth.  There are some real hogs up there.

PoorBoy himself :-\'

Savage

Poorboy, I think I know the one you are talking about, gets really skinny in the middle?  I'm sure that is a different one than the one I had mentioned earlier.  They all seem to have a good ammount of fish in them. . .
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

djkimmel

I never have been sure what 'keel-hauled' means, but it does sound painful!!! :D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Skulley

Keel hauled means that you tie one end of a rope to the victims foot and the other end of the rope to the bow cleat of the boat or in the case of a bass boat the bow ring.  The victim is then dragged behind the boat as the boat moves forward.  It does sound painful.  Never been keel hauled myself.  Use to hear about it watching old pirate movies.   :o
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Savage

Pirate History 101-

When you made a grevious offense back in those days (like naming a great fishing hole on the net) they would tie a rope to you and drag you completely under the bottom of the boat, across the entire keel.  Over one side, under the boat, and back up the other side.  If you lived, all was forgiven.  Of course, if they were really mad, they would just pull slowly on the rope. :(

There you go, now you can properly keel haul your bass buddy when he knocks off one of your fish with the net. ;D
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

djkimmel

Sounds like one of my partners and his 'hatchet' net technique... I told him to hold bottom end of the anchor line a couple times...

dhuff

I have heard a lot of good things about that lake.  I should try to get up there sometime.  It is only a few hours I believe from my cottage.

Revtro

The only Long Lake I've ever fished is the one in Oakland County.  It fishes pretty small and there aren't a ton of giant bass in it, but it has lots of shallow cover and was a fun little lake to fish.  Didn't care for the ramp much though.  A truck came off one side of it and had to get towed out while I was there.  It's a decent little lake for small club tourneys, but I wouldn't imagine it would be very good for 20 or more boats.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Skulley

How many Long Lakes are in Michigan?????

BD    ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Savage

Someone told me once there are 83. :o
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

blakstr1

it would seem like there are 283, you can't go too far without one popping up...  same reason there are a lot of Round Lakes, named in a simpler time...  does make more sense than naming a lake Macatowa!!  just kidding west siders.  I remember the first time I heard about Lake Mac...I responded Lake Mac-a-what-a?? I knew a guy that used to spend alot of time in the winter out on the ice with a corvette he built...everybody has a hobby! ::)
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

Bronzeback5LBER

I've fish Long Lake in Oakland county I caught a 5lb largemouth out of there that was a few years ago,it is a fun lake to fish,I also fish a long lake in Iosco county that is pretty good fishing both large and smallmouth I heard a guy I know caught a smallie almost 6 lbs,I caught a smallie 4lb 15oz (lets just say 5 lbs.)and that fish had just spawned out? I assume,the belly was a little saggy and thefish looked pretty skinny.
I ain't as good as I once was, but I was good once as I ever was

Skulley

Which Long Lake in Oakland County???  There is more than one.  Is it the one just west of Union Laike???  I have caught a few in the 4 to 5lb range there.  I have also caught some nice smallies there too.  That lake does have some smallies.  Mostly known for largemouth.  Caught some nice NFL size football size smallies there.  Fragile lake.  Catch and Release is the definite ticket there.

BD    ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

speybass

Quote from: blakstr1 on February 13, 2006, 01:41:16 PM
it would seem like there are 283, you can't go too far without one popping up...? same reason there are a lot of Round Lakes, named in a simpler time...? does make more sense than naming a lake Macatowa!!? just kidding west siders.? I remember the first time I heard about Lake Mac...I responded Lake Mac-a-what-a?? I knew a guy that used to spend alot of time in the winter out on the ice with a corvette he built...everybody has a hobby! ::)

Hey hey Bro, no need to be knocking the westsiders ;). And its Lake Macatawa, no "o's" in it. But then again what do you expect from an eastsider ;D ;D ;D.

My favorite Long Lake has to be the one northwest of Hale, only because I spent every summer of my youth up there, and have a roof over my head when I go back.

Sent a link to a few friends, we'll keep the board up-to-date on the Grand smally-on-a-fly reports come summer.

Cheers,

Jamey McLeod