Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 04:26:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Croton Pond Tournament

Started by fasttrack, May 26, 2008, 03:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fasttrack

The first Kellogsville Sportspersons Club tournament is in the books. There were 36 boats. Here is the brief story for my partner and me.

Took Friday off to practice. Got on the water at 6am and were surprised to see 48 degree water temps. Started cruising and looking for beds in areas we found them last year but didn't find much. The occasional bed we did find was either empty or just a small buck near it. We did manage a few jerkbait fish here-and-there. My buddy had to leave for a while and go to a funeral visitation in Spring Lake, leaving me to go explore. I found a few smaller largemouth on beds but nothing great. After a while I went back to the launch to eat lunch and chill out for a while before he came back at 2pm. Upon his return, we went back out and checked out some other breaklines, catching a few more decent smallies. Decided to check one last area before calling it a day - glad we did! Caught a couple fish really quick and saw a few more. That's all we needed to know so we left it alone.

Day of tourney: Started on that last practice spot. Jeff caught back to back fish within 10 minutes. We turned around and made another pass and I caught back to back fish. Minutes later we had a limit. Sure is great to be culling less than an hour into the season! We found that the fish backed off a little and were not as agressive as the day before. My partner worked a pearl jerkbait quite slowly while I was dead-sticking a 4" X-worm by Wayne Carpenter (Xtreme Tackle). I think I ended up with a few more fish than my partner, but it was faily even action overall.  We did not see many fish on beds, but heard later than some people did find some bedded fish in other areas - mostly smaller males though. By about 9:30 we had culled through 3 limits of fish but then our action basically stopped. Didn't catch another keeper after that. We ended up placing 3rd with 14.6 lbs. Second place had 15.1 lb and the winning team had 17 lbs.

It was interesting to hear guys at the weigh in talking. Some caught their fish in the last hour or two (ours all came early). Some didn't see a fish on a bed all day, some fished nothing but bedded fish all day. Sure is strange how so many things can be going on within one relatively small body of water! If anyone out there was at this tournament, I would love to hear from you.

Best Fishes,
Marc (a.k.a. fasttrack)
Interstate Batteries      Rocket Marketing
Fast Track Appraisals   West Marine
Nemesis Baits              Kustom Kicker Jigs
CD's Engine Service     J&H Oil