Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 02:33:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Best boat ramp suggestion for October 6 2013 MadWags Manistee Lake

Started by djkimmel, July 28, 2013, 01:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

Since I haven't been to Manistee Lake in so many years I can't remember what year it even was, I'm looking for a few of you 'locals' to suggest what boat ramp you think would be the best for the October 6, 2013 Fall West MadWags Memorial Members Tournament?

The last time I was there I fished a tournament that launched at Insta Launch. I can't really remember how many boats or what event it was?

For this event, we will probably have less than 20 boats so size shouldn't be a challenge. I see some ramps may be fee-based and some ramps are free? I also wonder if the ramps closer to Lake Michigan might be full of salmon/trout anglers?

I see 3 MDNR-related ramps at least besides the private Insta Launch:

Access Site Name:Stronach
2nd Ave
Manistee, MI 49660
http://www.mcgi.state.mi.us/MRBIS/BASDetail.aspx?basid=A-51-023
Access Site Administration:Orchard Beach S.P.
Contact Number:(231) 723-7422
Ramp Description: A hard-surface ramp with sufficient water depth and lake or impoundment size to accommodate all trailerable watercraft (minimum of 2.5 - 3 feet deep at a distance of 20 feet from shore). The site is signed.
Coordinates: Lat: 44.214354, Long: -86.279064
Available Parking : This site has 161 parking spaces available.
Public Restroom : This site is equipped with a public toilet.
Skid Piers : This site has 1 skid pier(s)
Site Fees : There is a user fee for this site.
Paving : This site has paving.

Access Site Name:East Lake Village Park
Gillispie St
Manistee, MI 49660
http://www.mcgi.state.mi.us/MRBIS/BASDetail.aspx?basid=A-51-026
Access Site Administration:Harrietta Field Office
Contact Number:(231) 723-7422
Ramp Description: A hard-surface ramp with sufficient water depth and lake or impoundment size to accommodate all trailerable watercraft (minimum of 2.5 - 3 feet deep at a distance of 20 feet from shore). The site is signed.
Coordinates: Lat: 44.252358, Long: -86.299056
Available Parking : This site has 50 parking spaces available.

Access Site Name:Arthur Street Ramp
Waterbody:Manistee Lake
25-155 U.S. 31
Manistee, MI 49660
http://www.mcgi.state.mi.us/MRBIS/BASDetail.aspx?basid=A-51-028
Access Site Administration:Manistee
Contact Number:(231) 723-4051
Coordinates: Lat: 44.256667, Long: -86.317329
Available Parking : This site has 40 parking spaces available.
Water Craft Controls : This site has water craft controls.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Waterfoul

Dan, I'm not sure of the address but the DNR ramp on the north end of the lake, just over the draw bridge is a really good ramp.  Parking for at least 30 rigs.  It's also the closest one to where I think most people will be fishing.  The one on the south end is pretty much in the no-fishing zone.

I'll see if I can find the address for the one we use.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Waterfoul

It's the Arthur street ramp, right on US 31.  Very easy to find.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

djkimmel

I was wondering if that one would be full of salmon / trout boats that time of year?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

bob o

from what i hear the trout run will be over by then. so not so many trout fishermen to drive around. but with the way our weather has been who knows.

MSURoss

Waterfoul

Dan, as you know I'm up there now and then, and have never seen more than 2 or 3 other boats in that ramp.  There is also a parking lot right across the street (in front of a decent bait shop) that can be used (the shop owner has no issue with it, talked to him several times).

Not a fan of the stronarch ramp... harder to find for one, plus it's a pretty long run up the lake to where most people will probably be fishing (though there are some great spots down on that end as well).

thedude

Arthur st. is the place to be. peak salmon will be well over with by the time we are there
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

JBASS

djkimmel

Quote from: JBASS on July 31, 2013, 12:37:14 PM
Quote from: MSURoss on July 30, 2013, 09:47:16 AM
Stonarch ramp
X2 Dan but as said the big lake fish guys may be a little >:(...Just my 2 Jay

Lake Michigan is closed but I'm guessing maybe the reference was to the channel?

djkimmel

Quote from: Waterfoul on July 30, 2013, 10:48:33 AM
Dan, as you know I'm up there now and then, and have never seen more than 2 or 3 other boats in that ramp.  There is also a parking lot right across the street (in front of a decent bait shop) that can be used (the shop owner has no issue with it, talked to him several times).

Not a fan of the stronarch ramp... harder to find for one, plus it's a pretty long run up the lake to where most people will probably be fishing (though there are some great spots down on that end as well).

As long as there's plenty of parking and a place we can gather to do weigh in and hand out prizes I'm fine with whatever is the easiest to find and launch at.

Where will most people probably want to be fishing?

bob o

looking at this insta-launch place it looks to me like they have plents of docking space and a launch site, one quick call is all it takes. set up a grill and bingo the party is on

Waterfoul

Quote from: djkimmel on August 01, 2013, 04:18:39 PM
Quote from: Waterfoul on July 30, 2013, 10:48:33 AM

As long as there's plenty of parking and a place we can gather to do weigh in and hand out prizes I'm fine with whatever is the easiest to find and launch at.

Where will most people probably want to be fishing?

Dan, most guys will probably be fishing the northern 2/3 of the lake.  Lots of good structure spots, lots of fishable shoreline, sea walls, the channel, etc....  There are fish to be caught on the south end too though.  It's a great lake!

bob o

just back from staying there for a week and launched at Arthur street (m31) ramp and there is plenty of room and even an overflow lot the next lot over. little riverside motel and marina is a 1/4 mile north, super 8 not much more than that, very easy in and out. one dock and two ramps and a restroom

djkimmel

Okay. That's where everyone says to launch so that is where we will launch.

Waterfoul

You will like this ramp.  Easy to find, easy to use.

Really looking forward to this!  Michigan homecoming game on Saturday, Manistee Lake on Sunday!  What could be better?!?!?!?!
(Sure am glad my dad drives us to the game and back though!).

djkimmel

Sounds like I might be missing that game. Guess I will find out.