Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:55:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Electronics question

Started by t-bone, March 21, 2011, 08:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

t-bone

I've got two Lowrance 520s networked on my boat (ranger z20) now. I'm considering upgrading to HDS and structurescan. What is the largest size HD unit I can flush mount in the dash and bow? Can I get a HDS7 in both?
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

SethV

I have seen HDS7's flush mounted in the Bow - it takes some work but you can do it.  I have a 998 flush mounted in my bow.  Not sure about the console.  You could leave the 520 flush mounted and put a bigger unit on a RAM mt - HDS 11 would be nice.

fear no fish

HDS7 specs: width 8.8 in, height 6.4 in, depth 3.5 in

t-bone

Thanks for the specs

so the 520c is:
w 6.9
H 5.4
D 3.4

I'll take a look at this when I get the boat back.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club

SethV

Where is your boat at?  Let me know if you want a hand with install.

t-bone

Its at Wonderland for a couple things but I'd take you up on the install of the HDS. I'll let you know when I get it back and what options I go with. A HDS10 would be nice!
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club

SethV

If it is your money I am spending I would pick an HDS 7 for the bow and an HDS 11 for the console.  Give Justin over at 3Rivers a call and he will hook you up!!

Shoot, since we are spending your money, why not a radar unit also!!   ;D

A Lee

When ram mounting a unit near the console, should i run the power, transducer and network cables up and around the console or should i drill through? I currently have a hds 5 mounted to the dash and would like to move it to a ram mount.

t-bone

Settled in on two HDS5's mounted where the 520s are, with StructureScan. I figured this is a good first step to see how valuable the structurescan is for me and then if I really use it, I can add an 8 or 10 into the mix on a ram mount.
Wonderland is doing the install while they have the boat for other reasons.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: A Lee on March 23, 2011, 10:26:10 PM
When ram mounting a unit near the console, should i run the power, transducer and network cables up and around the console or should i drill through? I currently have a hds 5 mounted to the dash and would like to move it to a ram mount.

I dont have a unit on my boat yet, but very soon.  From all the pics I've seen on the internet, I'm going to drill a hole and bring the wires up and through.  It's a lot cleaner look.  Even saw a custom puck-like mount that you attach the bottom of the ram mount that looked good.  Now if I can just find where I saw it.  lololol

SethV

Quote from: Firefighter Jeff on March 24, 2011, 12:00:33 PM
Quote from: A Lee on March 23, 2011, 10:26:10 PM

I dont have a unit on my boat yet, but very soon.  From all the pics I've seen on the internet, I'm going to drill a hole and bring the wires up and through.  It's a lot cleaner look.  Even saw a custom puck-like mount that you attach the bottom of the ram mount that looked good.  Now if I can just find where I saw it.  lololol

I usually drill a hole and run them through.

On the bigger units, I like to drill a hole further from the ram base - minimize the number of holes in a small area.  For the small HDS 7 or 700 series HB's you can run the wires under the base ok.

I think the base you are talking about is this one  http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=621698

A Lee

Thank you very much for the help! The base looks pretty good. Id like to drill the least amount of holes in my boat as possible and that looks like the best way. Do you like to mount to the console or to the gunnel?

SethV

Mount it in an area that has the thickest glass that you can use bolts and nuts - try to avoid mounting in an area that requires you to use self tapping screws.

My 998 sits on the biggest ram mount they make (2.5" ball) and I used 5/16 stainless bolts to hold it down.

Terry - what you going to do with the 520's?  You could put one on a RAM at the console.  Nice to have multiple screens - esp tiny screens like those.  You can keep one on GPS and the other on Sonar / SI.

t-bone

I wasn't thinking about using the 520s but rather selling them off. Interesting idea with the ram mount. Hmmm...
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club

A Lee

if you are looking to sell your 520's, give me a shout, id be interested.