Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:20:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Bass Fishing Down Under

Started by Colin Linton, February 08, 2011, 08:47:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin Linton

G'day!!

I do appologise for the delay with getting this up on the board it's a large topic to try and cover in a few paragraphs.  I will try to break down as best I can over the following weeks to give everyone an idea of Bass Fishing in Australia.

I guess to start Australian Bass (Macquaria novemaculeata) are somewhat different than Large or Smallmouth Bass.  In esssence (extracted from Wikipedia)  Australian Bass are a small to medium sized, primarily freshwater (but estuarine spawning) native fish found in coastal rivers and streams along the east coast of Australia. They are a member of the Percichthyidae family and, currently, the Macquaria genus. Australian bass are an iconic, highly predatory native fish. They are an important member of the native fish faunas found in east coast river systems and an extremely popular angling species.

These fish whilst predominately wild are successfully being bred for stocking into Lake Systems down the east coast of Australia.  They along with Barramundi are the most popular (Freshwater) sports fish in Australia.  Stocking Groups have been formed by the local communities for each of the Major lakes.  These groups in conjunction with the Water Authorities manage fish populations across these lakes through fund raising activities and Government Grants.  A Stocked Impoundment Permit Scheme (SIPS) is in place in most lakes to assist aswell.  In short it creates a user pays system whereby the angler can nominate which Lake his SIPS fees are distributed too.  More info can be found here : http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_14330.htm The fees are very affordable with daily, weekly and annual permits available.

BAIT and LURES:

Fishing techniques as you all would know change each season.  Baits such as Earthworms and Shrimp being the most popular Fresh baits however with that being said, Australia has not missed the Lure Revolution that has engulfed the world.  And this technique would be in my opinion the more popular way to target these species.

Lures such as Crankbaits (Bibbed, Topwater and Lipless) in 2-4" size, Spinnerbaits up to 1oz (3/0-5/0 Hook size) and Soft Plastics in all shapes and forms used, again in the 2-4" range the most popular.  Jigs and Buzzbaits are not techniques readily utilised when fishing for Australian Bass however I have heard reports of these being used successfully.  I will endeavour to upload some pics as a direct comparison.  Having said all that these fish for their size hit hard and fight dirty in order to avoid capture. I will elaborate further when I have the photos uploaded. 

Tackle:

Rods, Reels and Line all vary with techniques and anglers so there will be differing opinions on what is right or wrong when it comes to this topic.

Lines:

Fluro, Mono, Braid and Fused lines are all readily available with most of the larger brands (Berkley, Sunline, Stren etc ) amongst them.  Line weights varying from 2-20lb being used to entice a bite.  There would only be a small percentage of the Tournament anglers fishing 2lb test however when the bite has shut down a small soft plastic presented on light line is often your best chance of a bite.  4-10lb line test would represent the most popular range of  line class used for most techniques however heavy timber could see lines up to 20lb and possibly heavier used.

Reels:

When it comes to reeling in the elusive Bass both casting and spinning reels are used.  Given the smaller lures and jigheads down to 1/24th oz used, 2000-3000 sized spinning reels are very popular with the usual suspects Shimano, Quantam, Daiwa all amongst the favourites!  Pretty much the same names are evident in the Casting reel sector however these reels are generally used for the larger crankbaits and spinnerbaits only. 

To Be Continued.....................

Don't let your shadow be the only thing you cast today!

t-bone

I like the idea of the SIPS program. That makes a lot of sense.

So what is a typical aussie bass in terms of size - length and weight? What are your keeper limits?

What types of tournaments do you have?

Boats: Do you import bass boats? What is a typical aussie boat?

Thanks for sharing the information - I enjoyed reading and learning!
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

mikesmiph

Great start Colin. We are all hungry for fishing news, seeing how we still have a foot of ice. LOL

Colin Linton

Continue........

Rods:

Line class plays a big part in the rod selection of choice.  Again all the major manufacturers are in place here with rods specifically designed for each technique.  Rods generally come in the following classifications: 1-3kg, 2-4kg, 3-6kg and beyond however the noted weights would form the basis of many tournament anglers arsenal.  As a guide below is a conversion table from kg-lbs

Kilograms = pounds
1.0 = 2.205
2.0 = 4.409
3.0 = 6.614
4.0 = 8.818
5.0 = 11.023
6.0 = 13.228
7.0 = 15.432
8.0 = 17.637
9.0 = 19.842
10.0 = 22.046

There are no shortage of custom rod builders plying their trade here and prices run anywhere up to and beyond the $500 mark for a quality custom rod. 
Having been caught up in the U.S. scene for a few years I will be watching for trends such as micro-guides to inevitably work their way into our rods over the coming months.

Wow I am staggered about how much more info I could put into the preceeding topics.  I will plough on though now and re-cap and break down the info a little more with the pics!! (Everyone loves pics!!)

Boats:

Every Bass anglers dream a Skeeter, Ranger, Bass Cat (take your pick) fibreglass behemoths  only really came to fruition for Australian anglers in the Late 90's early 2000's. The influx of Tournament Fishing specific Fibreblass boats arrived with the onset of Tournament Fishing and consumer demand.  Early models included Stratos and Skeeter models,  however we now see the full spectrum inlcuding a smattering of Bass Cats now entering the market.  Prior to this saw a bevvy of Aluminium boats being converted with Casting Platforms, Trolling Motors and Live Wells plumbed in.  The aluminium boat market would still hold favour amongst the many recreational anglers not keen on dropping $55k + on the market specific Bass boat! 

Tournaments:

The tournament scene here in Australia is in my opinion still in it's infancy, as such this reflects on the fact that there is no way anyone could successfully make a living from just tournament fishing alone.  Tournaments at the top level see anglers vying for prize money up to $10,000 (winner) however payouts in the range of $2,000 for a win would be more the norm.  My guess is as the popularity sets in these figures will grow however with a total population of around 22 million we may never reach the lofty heights of B.A.S.S or FLW. 
Tournament Entry fees for a Bass Pro round range from $100 for a non-boater up to $200 for a boater.  In an effort to increase prize money anglers may choose to option up by paying $100 extra which is placed in a pool to be distributed between those that dare to back themselves. 
To give you an idea of scale here are the top 5 bass anglers by $$
since the inception of tournaments in 1999.

Top 5 Money earners:

*Carl JOCUMSEN $56808
Tim MORGAN $30031
John SCHOFIELD $24325
Matthew MOTT $23487
David GREEN $22943

*Australian anglers rejoice as Carl is now in the U.S.A attempting to chase the fulltime Bass professional dream.  Carl competed as a Non-Boater in 2009 at the U.S Open finishing second overall in his division.

Here is a link to an overview of a tournament and payouts based on 56 boat field.  The summary will give an insight to the tactics of our best angler on that day: http://www.australianbass.com.au/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=404

There is a bag limit of 2 Bass per person so our Tournaments are based on 2 fish over 3 fishing sessions.

To be continued................

djkimmel

Excellent cabin fever break material. I'm going to make sure many people get to enjoy this. Any pictures of the fish you can share? I can help you get them loaded if you need.

I actually received an email from an Australian boater a few months ago who was trying find out how to get a Ranger Trail trailer, or suitable alternative into Australia for his boat. I get some interesting email and phone calls thanks to this site from all over the world.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Colin Linton

Quote from: djkimmel on February 08, 2011, 08:45:24 PM
Excellent cabin fever break material. I'm going to make sure many people get to enjoy this. Any pictures of the fish you can share? I can help you get them loaded if you need.

Disclaimer:  The info I provide is my personal take on Bass fishing in Australia.  I am happy for other anglers to have input or possibly correct me if they feel I have mis-represented anything.  All efforts will be put in to ensure validity of info contained.  Some info has been extracted directly from publicly available websites.

My appologies for the disclaimer just wanted to ensure these are my opinions and possibly differ from that of others........lol.

Thanks to all for the early responses.

DJ, I will put together a comprehensive photo album with comparisons of Baits, Hook sizes and fish etc to put up on the board.  I will get your help when they are ready to go though.  Thanks for the offer and hope the ice melts quickly to reduce Cabin Fever!

Regards
Colin

LGMOUTH

Thanks for the great read Colin, looking forward to more.
When you are in any contest you should work as if there whereto the very last minute a chance to loose it.

MadWags

Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

mikesmiph

Take your time Son, we have two months

Redbone

No need for the disclaimer. Its not like any of us fisherman ever stretched a story. ::)

Good stuff!

Mojo

Quote from: mikesmiph on February 09, 2011, 07:07:16 AM
Take your time Son, we have two months

roflmao !!  ;D Thats just hilarious Mike. You are something. Colin, youre like a sleepy bedtime story... just keep turnin the page and we'll keep one eye open to read ..... Give us a link so we can see your version of a Bass Pro Shops or what the fish looks like ... typical size and weight of a tournament fish ? Goes by length or weight ? What weight is considered a darn good fish ?

Example: For us - A standard bucketmouth (largie) goes 2 lb. Tournaments have minimum lengths of 14 - 16 ". Decent fish is 3 lb. Nice fish is 4 lb. A nemmaa is about 5 lb and a Jemimas are 6 - 10 lb ! A 10 lb largie in Michigan earns you your name in the record books for the the year. For inland lakes, largies and smallies come in the bag of 5 best fish. All are returned as FLW, BFL, NBAA etc all practice catch and release.

Now a Smallish (smallmouth) standard goes bout 2.5 lb. Same tournament lengths a Largies. Nice smallie is 3.5 - 4 lb. Usually one of the team members will get 1 or more 4 - 5 lb fish. Thats nice. 5 -6 lbr is worth sqealing like a lil girl getting her pony for christmas and bigger than 6 lb will make your whole week !!

The Great Lakes, basis, and nearby lakes / rivers usually hold quality smallmouth, particularily on Lake St Clair and Erie. Its tributary river movement (believe it or not LSC is a current driven body of water) and shallow hard bottom makes it one of the top 3 best Small mouth lakes in the world. Hence - these insufferable addicted fools (myself included) who stare red-eyed at the frozen shoreline like a St Bernard waiting for their master to appear on the horizon.

So really, start saving your doalers, and fly over to Michigan in May, June, Sept, or October to experience 50 fish smallmouth days, and maybe a 5 - 6 lbr here and there.

Mojo
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

Mojo

Just a wild guess, but does this video represent Australian bass fishing tournaments ?

Colin Linton

Mojo,

My appologies for the Boring Bedtime story!!

I will endeavour to spice it up a little for future chapters.

The video you posted gives a good representation of our Tournaments and thanks for posting!

Will edit my latest draft before posting!!

Regards and Thanks,
Colin

djkimmel

Colin - don't pay too much attention to Mojo's exact word choices. He gets more than a little excitable at times... Remember - he is speaking a different dialect of English than you are so the translation can be a little confusing.

Just keep doing what you're doing. You're doing fine.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

MadWags

The fish looks like a cross between a Snook and a Redfish. I saw a Skeeter in the video with an Evinrude on it! Blasphamie!!!!!
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

djkimmel

Hooksetter

Quote from: MadWags on February 10, 2011, 06:00:31 AM
The fish looks like a cross between a Snook and a Redfish. I saw a Skeeter in the video with an Evinrude on it! Blasphamie!!!!!

Evinrude or Skeeter? :D

Interesting reading, patiently waiting for the next chapter.

Willie
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

djkimmel

Mojo

Quote from: MadWags on February 10, 2011, 06:00:31 AM

Little blasfor you and a whole lotta blasphame  eh ??

Yup colin DKimmie has it right ..... I aint right ..... but what I was trying to say was that we are all like kids tucked in bed for the night.... and you are the story teller of winter for us .... and we'll never close the other eye .... just like kids do when you are trying to read them to sleep ..... was all I was saying. Anyway - Water are your waters temp - by month ? Which month are fishable ?

djkimmel

I figured you meant it as a compliment, but there was a 'translation' problem causing your point to be possibly misunderstood. Figured you wouldn't mind me picking on you a little to encourage Colin to keep at it.

Though not to rush him. He apparently has a job and stuff too! ;D