Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 10:21:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Bass Fishing Down Under

Started by Colin Linton, February 08, 2011, 08:47:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin Linton

All good Mojo!

We need a tounge in cheek smilie icon!! on here!!  

Fishing available 365 days a year.  None of that Ice and snow stuff where the bass are at here!  We do get snow in the Southern parts of the country.  Something I am not too keen to visit (shivers)  :-\'

As for water temps they run between mid 60's to mid-hight 70's.  We are currently in summer here so most of the water temps would be in the mid 70's+ (recent rain would see it drop a little) with the depths of winter (June/July) seeing temps in the mid 60's.  I like the water around the 73 mark or slightly warmer.

I am endeavouring to get the next chapter/installment up as well as pics, just have to finish loading the new products etc up to my website/database..........The not so fun part of owning a online tackle shop  :'(

DJ..........I am guessing Mercury is #1 on the water over there too?  Guess I will keep my Evinrude obsession in the closet then  ::)

Not sure on the Snook, however are the Redfin a member of the perch family?  That may explain some of the similarities.  I will do some research on that one!

Will update soon!!

Regards
Colin
Don't let your shadow be the only thing you cast today!

djkimmel

A foot in mouth icon would be fairly useful too!!

Actually, I'm personally partial to my ultra dependable Yamaha VMAX HPDI 225HP outboard. But I don't feel the need to belittle anyone elses' motor choice.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Colin Linton

DJ,

I believe they all have their good and bad points!  Personally I would use anything if it meant avoiding having to paddle  ;D

Colin

djkimmel

Good point. I don't mind a little paddling now and then, but too much of anything... (except fishing! Can you ever have too much fishing?!?)

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Colin Linton

Back to work......

Tournaments continued:

The structure of tournament fishing in Australia is vastly different to B.A.S.S or FLW.  Due to bag limits we only weigh 2 fish per angler! 

There are a couple of different tournament levels at which you may compete,  The "Pro-Bass" (2 day tournament) "Electric" (6hrs 1 Day) and the soon to be run "Kayak" (run in conjunction with the electric series).

Pro-Bass is our premier tournament series and one that is expanding year by year.  This is where the Skeeters and the Big Guns come out to play!!  The Electric Series is as it's name may imply is a series where all boats may only be powered by electric propulsion only.  This series has seen some dedicated anglers and boat companies engineer some sweet looking rides.  This is a great series for beginner anglers who wish to be captain of their own craft and with Entry fees at only $20.00 it is well supported.  The electric series in it's own right is challenging due to the  restricitons of speed making anglers decide "Do I take the long run to spot X and lose 2hrs fishing time and risk running out of battery power".
This question will be asked less with the invention of motors like the Torqueedo providing ample horse power to get you there quicker!

The kayak series is in it's first year however again it will surely be a hotly contested series with some the countries finest anglers (my opinion) proficient with the paddle/pedal!!  I am pretty sure that this series will be CPR (catch, photo, release.  Length rather than weight decides the outcome)

There is another series of Bass Tournaments run specifically in New South Wales called "NSW Bassin"  which adopt the same rules as the above mentioned Bass Pro events.  The ABT also run 2 other tournament series including the "Bream" (saltwater species) and the "Barramundi" (impoundment based) the latter of which was won by former FLW fisherman Phil Strader.  I will never forget when he pulled out the "LUNKER PUNKER" Topwater bait....lol. I would have been happy to catch a fish the same size!!

So whats constitutes a Lunker Bass in Australian Terms!

The current record weighs in around 8.3lbs however models such as this don't come along every day!  A fish of 6lbs would be considered a prize catch with the average fish around the 2.2lb mark.  Nothing like some of those chunks being caught at Okeechobee last week however nailing a big one on 2lb will test ya!!

To be continued.........

Redbone

I have noticed kayak fishing has got some momentum in the states also.  They started doing it for Redfish in the south.  And I know my step brother fishes in California for halibut and sharks out of a kayak.
Its a good way for someone to get off the shore to fish.

Colin Linton

Hi all,

Appologies for my absence over the last couple of weeks  :-[  Been super busy trying to get some stuff organised with the business aswell as a little bit of fishing to boot.  Most of which just hasn't gone to plan  :'(  Will endeavour to pick up where I left off in a couple of days......fingers crossed  ;)

Also have 5 pages of new posts to catch up on aswell......Crikey  :o

Hope that snow is melting for you all!

Regards
Colin

djkimmel

What a pile of snow I came home too... Got my workout today anyway. Twice. Shoveled cameraguy's driveway and then my own. Looking forward to your post when you can get to it.

SethV

Hi Colin-  I was down under and had a weekend to kill a while back.  I caught this one (Golden Perch) north of Melbourne at Elidon Lake.  Crankbait in 20'  (3.5 meters) of water.

Colin Linton

Sorry to hear that DJ!!  That would just make me cranky  >:(  You should be here in Australia we are in the middle of summer  :'( sooo hot my eyeballs are sweating!!  It will be your turn soon to enjoy the fishing while we suffer the intolerable mid 60's of winter..... ::) sorry had to put that in  ;)

Seth!!  Thats a cracking Golden Perch (commonly called: Yellow Belly)  I would gladly spend a day catching models like that  :o  Well Done!  They go alright on the Barbie with a few shrimp and a frosty amber beverage ... ;D

Just to keep you all informed I am looking for potential retail sites for a small tackle shop.  Hence the gaps between posting, however I seem to have narrowed down to a few potential sites........so many ideas, locations that I just have to figure out which way to go!!

Till next time I will pray for that Hot ball in the sky to hover a little longer over the north for you!!

Colin

djkimmel

That would be nice right about now... though the 2 inches of new snow this morning made for some wicked snowballs!!

capt charlie's charters

Quote from: t-bone on February 08, 2011, 11:42:41 AM
I like the idea of the SIPS program. That makes a lot of sense.

So what is a typical aussie bass in terms of size - length and weight? What are your keeper limits?

What types of tournaments do you have?

Boats: Do you import bass boats? What is a typical aussie boat?

Thanks for sharing the information - I enjoyed reading and learning!

Hmm do I sense the thought of a fishing trip down under, how bout it T, does your operation have any connection with Aussie Ford that needs to be checked out ? 

Skulley

Hey DK.  When is there going to be a winter DK Open in Australia??

BD                       ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

MadWags

In Australia he is known as DJ. ;)
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

djkimmel

HOW DID YOU KNOW?!?

Maybe a down under open when I hit 20,000 members and a few hundred are plucky Aussies!

Mojo

Quote from: MadWags on February 27, 2011, 07:50:24 AM
In Australia he is known as DJ. ;)

noo  ... once you cross over to the southern hemisphere its    ﻼ∂

And your prop wash spins in the opposite direction .......  ;D
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

djkimmel

djkimmel

I thought maybe the Aussie mob got you (or a dingo)

Skulley

Quote from: Mojo on March 05, 2011, 10:56:40 PM
Mojo
Outdoorama
Master Angler

I just caught that DK......... GOt two words why I missed the Sunday show................. Kids.  I still hope you got  :D  :D  :D for ol Mojo .....

That's only one word Mojo.  You owe us another word.    8)

BD                               ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

djkimmel

Depends on how many kids you have... (I'm guessing)