Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:54:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Battery question

Started by canvsbk, March 14, 2006, 08:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canvsbk

I just put new batteries in my boat. Should I try to run the trolling motor batteries all way down before I charge them??
Thanks
Look past what they want you to see.

MBell

I would throw them on the charger just to make sure they're full.  I don't follow all the rules when it comes to batteries, I just keep them at full charge as much as I can.  It's worked well for me so far.  I have one battery going on it's 5th season. 
-Matt

smbassman

The recommendations I have heard is it isn't necessary to run your batteries down all the time.  But every once in a while a deep drain and recharge is needed.  Throughout the fishing season, this type of schedule probably happens on its own.  Most days you only run down to 75% and then you get a high wind day or fish strong current (or forget to plug your charger in ;)) and you drain them down to 20% or so.  So I say, don't worry about it.  Plug them in and keep them ready to go.  If they are maintanable(removable caps), keep an eye on the water levels about every month or so and remember maintanence free does not always mean maintenance free.  If they are not sealed, they need to me maintained.

fiker

Some where I once read that we should drain down our batteries and then charge them.  Seems Like I bought new batteries every other year.

Since then, I've read that we should recharge as soon as we can.  I've been doing this w/ some Everstart batteries, and they are lasting quite a while.

I also buy batteries for the task. (IE cranking for starting, and Deep cycle for trolling).  I've tried the duel purpose batteries, and didn't like em.   They didn't last as long as I thought they should.

Also:
I pull batteries in the winter, and although I must store them in the gargage, I don't let them sit on concrete.  They are up on wood shelves.

I put the charger on them several times a winter just to keep them fully charged.

This "system" seems to be working for me.

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390