email
 Home  |  GL Blog  |  Forum  |  News  |  Tournament News  |  Conservation  |  Videos  |  Join  |  Youth  |  Site Map  |  Search  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Online Shopping  |  Donate to this site reluctant

Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum  - extensive bass fishing home page specializing in Great Lakes, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa, Pennsylvania, New York and Ontario bass fishing techniques, news, issues, conservation, bass fishing reports, bass biology, tournament strategy, bass fishing lure and fishing tackle, bass fishing forum and fishing message board, logistics, weather and safety, and product information.

Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum

Your Great Lakes and Michigan Online
               Bass Fishing and Tournament Community.

Advanced search  
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2500 or 3000 size spinning reel?  (Read 1043 times)

6 lb Smallmouth

2500 or 3000 size spinning reel?
« on: October 10, 2016, 09:44:08 PM »

I always have gotten 2500 size spinning reels but a knowledgeable fishing buddy says he only gets 3000 due to balancing the rod and something else (I forgot what).  Then I saw a pro talk about his 3000 sized reel.  How say you? 
Formerly known as JerkBate

Nothing beats Great Lakes Smallmouth!

32eml24

Re: 2500 or 3000 size spinning reel?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 09:50:40 PM »

3 if nothing else try something different you'll learn something from it.  Longer casts, quicker line intake, more drag surface area, etc. etc.

Manxfishing

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 06:02:29 AM »

Mine are 2500 shimano's
The 2500 and the 3000 are the same body, only the 3000 has a deeper spool
(it holds 30 yards more)
the spools are interchangeable, So you could buy 2500 and use a 3000 spare spool
or the 3000 and use a 2500 spool

My thoughts are,
I'm using backing on most of the reels. I don't need 30 yards more.

Flippin222

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 09:45:18 AM »

If fishing straight Flouro then the 3000's handle the line better. If fishing with braid, the 2500's are a solid choice.

I lean towards the 3000's just to keep everything common whether I am using braid or flouro....

Don't sweat the petty things; Don't pet the sweaty things

spinnerbation

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 04:58:20 PM »

I have a variety of reel sizes from 1000 - 3500. The difference for me is line Type / Diameter. For my ultra finesse 4-6 lb lines I use the 1000. Most everything else I use the 2500. But if I am moving up to line with a 12-15 lb diameter then I will use the 3500.

One question I often get asked is why don’t you just use a bait caster with the heavier line? My answer is always that I am more comfortable certain situations using spinning gear with the heaiver line (ie - skipping weightless senkos around knarly bushes, under docks etc). This is my personal preference based on how I like to fish, but it’s one use for the larger sized reels.

DeanV

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 10:52:56 PM »

I like 2500 in Daiwa and 3000 in shimano, they are about the same size.  I find the 3000 Diawas feel too big for me, at least in the models I tried.  Might be better with fluoro though.

Mojo

• Champion 206 - YAMI VMAX 250
  • GLBass.com Sponsor
  • Legend
  • To You; Who helped me grow my fishing roots
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 04:19:04 PM »

flippin222 and ManxFishing hit it on the head.
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

djkimmel

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Welcome to GreatLakesBass.com - Board Admin
  • View Gallery
    • GreatLakesBass.com
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 11:47:57 AM »

I like to balance the reel weight to the rod for best balance when I can. I've also played with wider spool reels and actually like the couple I have for Fluorocarbon especially. Not as important for braid but I'm still leaning towards wider spool reels overall though anglers don't seem to be buying them as they are becoming less available.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of Michigan BASS Nation or TBF of Michigan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Advertisements

Visit Other Features of GreatLakesBass.com using the links below

Site Home | News | Videos | Bass Forum | Bass Tips | Articles | My Confidence Products | Tournaments

GL Blog | Weather | Fishing Pictures | Building Bass Boats | Conservation/Legislation | Bass Biology

Advertise | Site Sponsors | GreatLakesBass.com Store | Online Shopping

Site Map | Contact Us | Search | About Us | Links | Link to Us | Resources | Privacy Policy | Disclosure Policy
Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot

VigLink badge