Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:08:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Leelanau

Started by 6 lb Smallmouth, May 09, 2015, 10:24:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6 lb Smallmouth

So I am staying in Sutton's Bay for a couple weeks in June and I will be primarily fishing the Bays.  Since Leelanau will be so close, I was wondering what the lake is like.  A guide I was talking to recommended the lake.  What are your thoughts?  Is it mostly smallmouth or largemouth?  Cover?  Structure?  Clarity?  Any info is appreciated.  Thanks.  Paul
Formerly known as JerkBate

Nothing beats Great Lakes Smallmouth!

Waterfoul

Gin clear water.  You will find some weeds on the south end of the south lake.  There are also rocks and points to be fished.  Both species do well here, and there is some great walleye fishing to be had too.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

djkimmel

I've only fished the South lake a couple times and caught both smallies and largemouth bass fishing points and weedlines along with any cover near the drop offs. Should still be bass on beds probably up on flats and in the sand in June depending on the rest of this spring's weather.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

6 lb Smallmouth

Thanks for the info gents. 

Thought the lake was more popular. 

TheFishinPollock

That is one of my favorite lakes to fish here at home.

The south lake is like a flooded river . Drops full of weeds down to 20 -30 foot, Flats full of weeds . Lots of bait fish in the south arm.  The east shore across from the RV park in either direction is where I have done my most damage. Coupla feeder creeks dump in along that shore . The south end is a giant 10 foot deep flat that runs out to 30 -40 foot. It's covered in cabbage and has the Ceder river dumping into it. The north end is narrower and more of a gentle slope out to the main channel .   I use alota spinner baits and suspending jerks on the South Arm. The water is a bit darker .

As for the north arm. It is crystal clear. Very sharp drop offs with points full of rocks.   Just about any point will do.  There is a giant sandbar that runs almost across the lake in the north end jutting out from the east shoreline.    The south end of the lake is a giant flat in the SE corner and a good weedy drop on the west shore to the left of the channel comming out of south lake.    Most drops are bare untill you get out to 20 foot. Then there is a weedline and lots of logs from early days.    Cemetary point on both sides is one of my favorite spots . Drop shots , tubes and divers work best .

You will find more numbers in the south arm and bigger fish up in the north arm.   The are massive and plentyful eye's with lakers in the north arm and brows in the south.  There is also a huge perch population in both lakes. 
Matthew" the pollock" Novak
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

DeanV

Thanks for this post.  I have the opportunity to use time a friends time share in The Homestead whenever I want in the fall and was wondering if any of the lakes around there were good for bass. I camp on Silver and know about Duck and Green, but do not know anything about the ones closer to Glenn Arbor. 

BIGSHOW

Thanks for the info. I have a place on bass lake and i've always wanted to fish it. I've been venturing out to silver and long lake here and there. I've done ok on each but am trying to learn the two lakes.

6 lb Smallmouth

Thanks for the info.  Looks like I'll have to check it out! 

fishindave

site fishing on the north lake is tough, hard to spot beds.  I have caught many over 5lbs on both ends, the N Lake is gin clear, south is average clarity.  Done well with tubes and cranks, where the cranks dig the bottom in 1'-15', pending on the time of year.  I don't get there any more, miss it a lot.

BIGSHOW

I was just past the lake in fishtown by the dam. Not sure if that connects to the lake. But man there were some giants in site by the dam. Some guy was there catching them from shore