Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:48:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

St. Clair 5-28.

Started by Revtro, May 29, 2007, 10:52:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revtro

Got out at 5:30 am and headed to some typical spots for a quick 5 minute check on each before heading down to the Mile Roads.  We didn't get anything until we go down there.  I learned a very important lesson yesterday having to do with line size.  My partner and I were throwing the same color tube as we made our first drift.  On our first drift, he got 6 fish and I had 0.  Hmm.  What's the deal here?... I asked.  Same tube... 1/4 oz jigheads, same drag technique...what's different?  The only difference was the leader we had tied on.  I loaned him a spinning rod with a 10lb floro leader and he was whacking them.  I was too lazy to retie my leader from the previous day at Kent lake, so I had a 20lb floro leader on.  Could that be it?  Could something as simple as leader thickness make that big of a difference?  Long story short, I retied my leader with a long 10lb piece of floro.  Second cast BAM, 3.5 pounder.  A few casts later, his twin brother.  By the end of the day my best 5 probably went 16 or 17lbs.  I even got a nice 4lb largemouth... she had lots of junk in the trunk. 

Needless to say, I was quickly reminded of why it's so important to use light line in clear water.  It was one of those obvious moments where it was perfectly clear to us what was going on.  I should have thought about that earlier because I had a similar experience fishing with langer on St. Clair the previous weekend.  He was whacking them and I was struggling to get bit.  Have you ever been "that guy" who was not getting bit while the other guy on the boat was tearing it up?  Check your line size, it might have a whole lot more to do with it than you realized. 

Oh yeah, the report part.  We got most of our fish in two locations.  First, the Mile Roads were on fire, but we had to be in almost exactly 7.5 FOW to get bit.  When we went shallower or deeper it was famine.  7.5 was the deal.  I threw a jerkbait quite a bit and a Rattle n Vibe, but the tube was the most consistent and got the biggest fish.  Watermelon with black flake was the best color on a 1/4oz jighead.  Popping the tube off the bottom didn't work.. we had to drag it and let it tick the weeds.  The area we were fishing had sparse but consistent weeds.  When the weeds thinned, so did the bites.  And we had to stay away from the mossy bottom. 

We also got lots of fish around deep seawalls.  I was concerned with the flat water and bright sun, but it didn't seem to affect the fishing.  They were on for sure.  Lots of fun.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Mojo

Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan