Home  |  GL Blog  |  Forum  |  News  |  Tournament News  |  Conservation  |  Videos  |  Join  |  Youth  |  Site Map  |  Search  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Online Shopping  |  Donate to this site reluctant

Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum  - extensive bass fishing home page specializing in Great Lakes, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa, Pennsylvania, New York and Ontario bass fishing techniques, news, issues, conservation, bass fishing reports, bass biology, tournament strategy, bass fishing lure and fishing tackle, bass fishing forum and fishing message board, logistics, weather and safety, and product information.

        Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum

              Your Great Lakes and Michigan Online
               Bass Fishing and Tournament Community.

Advanced search  
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Passports?  (Read 1527 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


  • Big Fish
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 111
  • "Hooksets are Free"
  • View Gallery
« on: February 01, 2006, 11:33:04 AM »

When does the passport rule go in effect for crossing into Canadian waters take place?


  • GLBass Friends
  • Legend
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1,044
  • Blake's Excellent Adventures!
  • View Gallery
    • Team BASS
Re: Passports?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 12:15:07 PM »

Per the website.  I don't know if there will be some sort of exception or special condition for fishing as long as you start in US waters and end in US waters, without going on land...

New Requirements for Travelers

The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 requires that by January 1, 2008, travelers to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama, Mexico and Canada have a passport or other secure, accepted document to enter or re-enter the United States.  In order to facilitate the implementation of this requirement, the Administration is proposing to complete it in phases following a proposed timeline, which will be published in the Federal Register in the near future.

This is a change from prior travel requirements and will affect all United States citizens entering the United States from countries within the Western Hemisphere who do not currently possess valid passports.   This new requirement will also affect certain foreign nationals who currently are not required to present a passport to travel to the United States.  Most Canadian citizens, citizens of the British Overseas Territory of Bermuda, and to a lesser degree, Mexican citizens will be affected by the implementation of this requirement.


Re: Passports?
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 09:25:35 PM »

The way I understand it - as long as you do not touch ground in canada, including dropping an anchor, you have free egree to and from canada depending on the color of the terrorist condition - ie yellow or below.  Under heightened alert, orange or red there may be more stringent requirements. 

Remember the I-68 form of years past?   I bought a nexus card which allows free egress bypassing customs at the border as long as there is nothing to declare - it requires $50 for 5 years, and an application.  they will then do a background check and interview to ensure you are not a terrorist(or bad fisherman). 

In the mean time, I would just make a copy of your birth certificate and drivers lic., and keep them in the boat just in case.

Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them


Re: Passports?
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 11:41:11 PM »

Jack, you are right as far as I know.  But in the future when you re-enter the U.S. you will need a passport rather than just a license or birth certificate like it is now.   Kind of related but I wish the BFL would make a rule that co-anglers need to have all of the licenses, a lot of the guys coming up from Indiana don't even know about this stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up


Visit Other Features of using the links below

Site Home | News | Videos | Bass Forum | Bass Tips | Articles | My Confidence Products | Tournaments

GL Blog | Weather | Fishing Pictures | Building Bass Boats | Conservation/Legislation | Bass Biology

Advertise | Site Sponsors | Store | Online Shopping

Site Map | Contact Us | Search | About Us | Links | Link to Us | Resources | Privacy Policy | Disclosure Policy
Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot

VigLink badge