Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 01:15:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

New federal regulations to affect bass tournaments???

Started by grasslakebasspro, March 19, 2007, 06:02:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grasslakebasspro

This article appeared on Bass Fan this morning...

http://www.bassfan.com/news_article.asp?id=2102

It appears this will affect our BFL and Stren tournaments on the Detroit River, St. Clair, and Lake Erie...

rufus

I love fishing Canadian water as much as anyone who fishes the BFL, but if we are forced to fish Michigan only water I will be okay with it. I spend 90 percent of my tournament time in Canada, but have always loved fishing the Michigan water The weights will definitely go down, but the fishing will still be very good. I will not have to put $100.00 of gas in my boat a day if this happens ;D. My main concern with this is the number of boats that will not show up because of it. I hope to see everyone their that is normally and then some. There is defintely plenty of water to fish if we are forced to fish Michigan only water. It will also bring a sack of largemouth into consideration for a top 10 finish. God Bless and see everyone in a couple months.

SethV

Even more interesting will be the regional.  The mighty Miss was lousy and crowed enough, I can only imagine be required to stay on 1 side of the river.  Same thing goes for the Ohio river guys.  Bad fishery made tougher.

What a silly rule.  I hope they change it.  If it was good for the fish that would be one thing, but how many people think the waters of a river never mix from one side to the other or that fish don't swim????

In any case, I can't wait for the year to start.  Enough winter already!!!   ;D

Seth

TAngler

Even if we can fish the Michigan waters, you still have a navigation problem.  According to the law you can not cross boundries with live fish.  Look at your maps and follow the Canadian US border line. It would not be impossible, but it would certainly be impractical to stay on the correct side of the line at all times. Especially taking consideration of boat traffic and wind/wave action.
Belle Island you would have to stay close to the south shore or take the no wake side through.  You could not use the cut off to go to the St. Clair River.  You would have to take the South Channel and stay on the American half. Mouth of the Detroit River you would have to stay on the American half of the livingston channel.  I guess if a ship or  heavy boat traffic is coming at you, your either going to have to take a disqualification or do whatever it takes to stay on the American half.   
I can understand they want to keep this virus in check, but make some rules with common sense.  Hopefully the rule will be changed in some way.  If not the tournament turn out in the effected waters will certainly be way down.
I did read that Canada is not going to imply this rule yet.  If the tournaments where held on the Canadian side we could use all the water, like we have been. Might be the solution if there is not a law change.

LGMOUTH

Quote from: TAngler on March 20, 2007, 12:31:08 PM
Even if we can fish the Michigan waters, you still have a navigation problem.  According to the law you can not cross boundries with live fish.  Look at your maps and follow the Canadian US border line. It would not be impossible, but it would certainly be impractical to stay on the correct side of the line at all times. I did read that Canada is not going to imply this rule yet.  If the tournaments where held on the Canadian side we could use all the water, like we have been. Might be the solution if there is not a law change.

Wouldnt you still be breaking the law even if the tournament is held in Canada if you cross the line. You would be in Michigan with fish from Canada and vise versa. Federal law still would apply unless you stay in canadian waters all day without crossing the lines. As soon as you go into Michigan,Ohio or wherever the federal order would be in affect. Maybe Im wrong but I think it would still apply.
When you are in any contest you should work as if there whereto the very last minute a chance to loose it.

canvsbk

Wow. I can see all kinds of ugliness happening here. I sure hope the feds temper their stance more towards the thought of a "watershed" or "body of water" than some line on a map. Those of us who don't fish that stuff surely will be pulling for those you who do.

;D ;D ;D vote BASS FISHERMAN for Senator  ;D ;D ;D
Look past what they want you to see.

LGMOUTH

Im not saying that the Feds would bust you for this, Im just saying that the rules in most tournaments state that you must abide by all local, state and federal laws and if you were to cross lines with live fish you would be breaking one of these laws and could and would be disqualified. Like I said before I could be wrong but this is just how I would interperet it.
When you are in any contest you should work as if there whereto the very last minute a chance to loose it.

dashaver63

So if a fish swims across a border on it's own, will it go to jail? This is just rediculious, I can see it if they were talking about 2 seperate bodies of water, but one divided by an imaginary line? Whats next, are they going to put down nets to keep the fish segregated? Walleyes travel great distances from spawn throughout the summer and then back again. All I can say is WOW!!

yukonjack2

Guys - you are all looking at this from avery narrow viewpoint.  Yes, it may be true that it affects  tounament folks on LSC/EERie unfoavorably as  the notice was written, but sometimes thats the law of unintended consequenses.  There have been quite a few invasive virus/species in the US the last 20 years or so, and they are taking drastic action to prevent spreading thoughout the US watersheds - I guess right now it is limited to the great lakes basin.  Remeber - LMBV that about wiped out lake orion, whirling disease in trout, CWD in elk/Deer, TB in deer, ...plus species goby(you like em now), zebra mussels, milfoil, snakeheads, asian carp, ....list goes on and on.  Better to Err on the safe side of regulation, then fix it as time goes on.  I think the best thing we can do is make sure we as anglers do not contribute the the spread by taking proper cleaning precautions, and then contact the proper individuals to make our position known, both as a united group, and as individuals.  The rederick does nobody any good.

Jack
Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

SethV

jack-  I don't think it is a narrow viewpoint to see that this rule is just plain silly.  You really think that if I am fishing the St Clair river, and I catch a fish on the east side of the river, and bring it to the west side of the river, that I just spread VHS??? 

I agree we don't want to spread it to uninfected waters, but if the water BODY is already infected, what is the point of this rule?  And it is not just the great lakes, the Ohio river, Mississippi and others are also affected by this rule.

Sometimes these things just have to run their course.  Just like LMBV, it hurts for awhile, but the fishery will be healthier in the long run.  We as humans can try to slow the spread, but that is all it will be.  Unless we tell fish not to swim and birds not to fly.  Good luck with that.

Seth

SethV

Quote from: dashaver63 on March 21, 2007, 04:17:06 PM
So if a fish swims across a border on it's own, will it go to jail? This is just rediculious, I can see it if they were talking about 2 seperate bodies of water, but one divided by an imaginary line? Whats next, are they going to put down nets to keep the fish segregated? Walleyes travel great distances from spawn throughout the summer and then back again. All I can say is WOW!!

Not jail, but the death penalty.  This law says they must de dead to cross the "lines", so therefore that rebel fish that decided to swim must die!!!   ;D ::)

motocross269

I hope the Michigan DNR (or someone)gets something out in writing that Makes sense of all of this mess...Right now there are alot of grey areas.  Most of the users on this web are pretty die hard fisherman and spend alot of time and research to stay on top of the latest developments..and we are still fighting amongst ourselves on the wording of the order.  Imagine what Joe Blow weekend fisherman is going to go through.

yukonjack2

Seth:

I don't disagree with anything you mention there - my point was when you are trying to place regulation in place fo rthe bigger issue, there are exceptions on the micro level - i.e border areas such as the river, as opposed to trucking bait from the lake to other states(i.e. primary spreading mechanisms) that are all covered in a blanket order.  The best way to fix those issues is to band  together as a group of organizations and make a common voice heard, rather than pointing out specific hypocracies.  Theat was the viewpoint I was more referring too. 

Jack
Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

dashaver63

Quote from: SethV on March 22, 2007, 11:43:06 AM
Quote from: dashaver63 on March 21, 2007, 04:17:06 PM

Not jail, but the death penalty.  This law says they must de dead to cross the "lines", so therefore that rebel fish that decided to swim must die!!!   ;D ::)

Well, so much for C&R! ; ;D :D ???

yukonjack2

Remember now that the ice is about gone, that this ruling goes for walleyes as well - gonna be a bunch of unknowing violaters early this year I suspect.

Jack
Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy

Buckeyenut313

When are they going to address the real problem which is the source of all of these invasive species- the ballast water of the ships freely entering the Great Lakes?? Until that issue is addressed we are going to be constantly fighting these battles. It is time to stop trying to use these ridiculous "band-aids" and fix the real problem!!

djkimmel

Michigan is trying unilaterally to force the shipping industry to adopt whatever technology is available to stop spreading invaders. The shipping industry response so far has been to threaten Michigan with loss of all shipping rather than spend the money to stop their huge negative impact on our resources.

Wisconsin has shown some indications they may join Michigan. If the rest would follow suit... maybe the shipping industry would finally be forced to face the cost of doing business?

No updates so far. I'll let you know if and when I get anything.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dashaver63

If this new law doesn't change, how many tournament anglers will not enter the events on the effected waters(St.clair, Detroit River)?

Vic Cerabone

I have seen some rumblings that it will change, but I'll believe it when I see it.  Here's an interesting post from LSC.net.  The poster "487vs" got a response from his letter to APHIS.

http://www.lakestclair.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=39654

Regrdsless of what happens, I will certainly enter the early St. Clair events, where I fish the US anyways, after that I'll play it by ear.  This just may force me to learn even more of the lake. 

Erie however is probably out for me with this rule in effect.
NBAA Motor City Inland Challenge
http://www.nbaa-bass.com/pages/divisions/div_details07.php?division_id=88

C-Sports Optical Pro Staff - Rx Sunglasses

LGMOUTH

Quote from: dashaver63 on April 08, 2007, 10:12:50 AM
If this new law doesn't change, how many tournament anglers will not enter the events on the effected waters(St.clair, Detroit River)?

I for one may fish all of the BFLs and probably fish some other tournaments over there if this rule stays in effect. The way I look at it is that I only fish over there maybe two or three days a year and I dont have the time to search a hundred thousand acres of water for spots if it is narrowed down to thousands of acres I might have a shot at figureing something out. Im sure that they will have it all worked out by time fishing season gets here but if they dont I might be heading over a few more times. Just my 2cents.