Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:19:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Boat insurance

Started by stackenem, January 19, 2006, 08:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stackenem

Real good chance I'm getting the new Stratos so what Insurance do you guys recommend? How much do I need?
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

djkimmel

I have State Farm long-term. Been pretty good to work with.

The ones specializing in boaters are good options from what I've heard (like maybe through Boat US - I hope someone can help me remember some others...)

Watch out for speed and horsepower limits some companies have. Don't lie about the speed. One friend said his boat only went 45. They called the manufacturer and cancelled him because the manufacturer said 60.

Watch out for how they cover the things you semi-permanently attach to your boat (electronics for example) and the things you put in your boat. Some cover these as part of the boat and some will tell you these things are covered under your home insurance.

Some also have a very low limit in dollars for these things when they do cover them - possibly not enough to reimburse you for a large loss. I bought an extra rider just to be sure I had enough coverage.

If you fish tournaments, they may consider this a business use and not covered. Talk about this up front with your agent. Confirm you are also covered on the Great Lakes and other coastal waters. Some will not cover small boats on the BIG water.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

MBell

I have progressive, because they are the only one who will insure me with my young age.  I have a triton tr-185 w/ 150.  I was canceled on another policy because of the speed thing.  Check out tourament rules for what you need to fish, the minimums on most policys are enough.  Like dan said, most policies only cover fish finders, tackle, etc. up to a certain ammount.  Progressive used to have a $500 limit but they now cover more as long as you have an inventory.  This year I paid $650 for my coverage.  Only thing I don't like is I only get $300 per towing, most are more than that.     
-Matt

Savage

Progressive has been great, but I have not put in a claim yet.....
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

Roy Randolph

Had progressive for 7 years filed one claim and took longer to get the parts then the check!
Help a handicapped angler live his dream!

blakstr1

I've been using state farm, I have everything through them auto, home, life, and boat...my premium is very low because of the multiple policies..but the coverage is great!  But as others have said, I haven't made a claim yet either...
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

McCarter

I use Anglers Advantage.  They are the official insurance company of the American Bass Anglers.  They were the cheapest of the 5 i quoted.

I had to make a claim in 04 and they took very good care of me.  They even had the place  i took the boat to for repair start on the boat before i finished the paperwork.  They understand the needs of the tournament angler and cater to our needs.

And they didnt even raise my rates after the repairs were done.  I needed a brand new lower unit which wasnt cheap. 

I recommend them to everyone i know.  If you are interested in getting a price quote from them, shoot me a pm and i will reply the number and my agents name back to ya.

ABA members get a discount too i think.

PoorBoy himself :-\'

smbassman

I have state farm and the rates are reasonable.  I have only had one minor claim and the check was written immediately after I provided the info needed.  I thought it could have been handled differently to reduce my deductible that I had to pay, but that was my interpretation and not theirs.  Overall, I have been satisfied.

If you are buying new, I would suggest looking at Progressives full replacement policy.  This is a good idea for new boats so if anything serious happens to your boat, you get a new one - not a check for the depreciated value.  Otherwise you will typically go with an agreed value policy where you tell them how much you want the boat and additional equipment to be covered for.  And like they said above - make it clear the boat will be used in tournaments, state the expected speed, and make sure you have coverage for all your equipment.  Theft (like when you are at a motel for a tournament) is another thing you should be clear on and make sure it is covered.  Some policies assume that your home owners will cover the theft, but not if you are not at home.

Good Luck on the new boat!!!! 

fishon1219

I have used a company called Safeco insurance for 10 years now. I have never filed a claim with them, but i am sure they will come through if I need it. Just for rate info I have my boat insured for $10,000 full replacement in the event something happend. What that means is if my boat is damaged beyond repair, it is stollen or burned up in a fire they write me a check for 10g. My boat is now only worth about $3,500 because it is 20 years old but with the replacement cost of rods, reels and tackle that may be in the boat at the time of such an incedent I am well covered. My policy price is only $152 a year. I am looking at a new boat so when I get a price quote for that I will let everybody know how much that will be.
Nemesis Baits Pro-Staff
www.nemesisbaits.com

Cy

I use a smaller company in West Michigan called Michigan Insurance.  It was started by a guy from Citizens Insurance.  They have been very easy to deal with.  I have them covering my House, Cars and Boat.  I have had a Deer claim on my Tahoe right after I started with them and a claim on the boat after a run in with a submerged log.  They covered both with no problems and have been very nice to work with.  My boat is insured for $14,000 and it runs $235 a year.  I am about to bump the coverage to $18,000 and it will cost an additional $36 a year.  I found the company through a local agent, you can email me if you want his name and number.  cfruel@ameritech.net.

Cfruel
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

yukonjack2

I have state farm - again ditto to everyone above - make sure you cover agreed upon value - ie what you paid for it, plus addons, and make an inventory list with cost if you can - electronics, rods, reels, tackle, radios, ....you get the drill.  Also watch your deductables, and too high a deductable will have you in the hole on a small theft claim - say at a tourney.   I had one claim last year - (lower unit), and no prob - they cut a check right to the repair shop ASAP - and rates stayed the same.  Good luck on the new boat!

Jack
Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

stackenem

Poorboy,Thanks for the tip on the ABA insurance. I just joined and will check it out if I get the boat it is still up in the air right now. Also thanks to all the others for their info also. It is great to have all this knowledge in one place instead of having to run all over looking for it. Thanks for the forum Dan.
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

robtheboatman

Stack
check the company you have your auto insurance with, otherwise all of the companies mentioned work well.  The only company I have seen a problem with has been Progresive.  They were the best, but the last few months, they have been a problem for tourney anglers. If anyone has any questions, feel free to contact me.
Rob Bakeman
rjbakeman@hotmail.com

P.S.  Stack...are you Bill H. 
Rob