Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:45:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

TBF No Entry Fee Division Championship Series Set for 2013

Started by djkimmel, November 16, 2012, 05:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

TBF News

TBF No Entry Fee Division Championship Series Set for 2013

Ponca City, Okla. - November 16, 2012 The Bass Federation (TBF), the national leader in NO cost or low cost tournament fees, announced today the dates and locations of the seven 2013 No Entry Fee Division Championships. This year's hosts are the state federations of Washington, Arizona, Tennessee, Texas, Ohio, Rhode Island and New Jersey.

• September 1-6, TBF Northern Division Championship, Ohio River, Wheeling, West Virginia

Read complete article on GreatLakesBass.com Tournament News for details and full schedule.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Waterfoul

I will never understand how they can have the NORTHern division in West Virginia.  Come on now, how "north" is that really?  I'll tell you how north it is, it's so "north" that I could never afford to make the trip should I qualify.

Did West Virginia suddenly become a northern state?  And the Ohio River?  We always figured that's where the south began when heading to Florida and such.  There is so much good water in the NORTH that I simply don't understand choices like this for divisional championships.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

djkimmel

It's not that big a deal. It is the Ohio federation's turn to host the Northern Divisional. Their choices are pretty limited. Lake Erie or the Ohio River pretty much. I don't know why they were not going to pick Sandusky or another part of Erie this year. I didn't ask anyone about it. I was just told it would not be out of Sandusky this time around.

Wheeling seems to be a  popular place to base Ohio River tournaments out of for a while now. It's the only major city on the East edge of Ohio along the Ohio River. Maybe the fishing is better on that part of the Ohio River or it is a good and popular location? Most of the Buckeye Division BFL events go out of either Maysville in the middle South part of the Ohio Border, or out of two locations actually in Indiana just West of their border.

It's only ~420 miles from GR, not too much farther than to Patoka in Indiana or Winnebago in Wisconsin, and closer than anything like La Crosse or a location in Minnesota.

Regardless, everyone is in the same boat wherever it is held. Fishing different types of waters in different places makes you a better angler. If you aren't already on the state team from last year's state championship, you don't have to worry about going to Wheeling. You can fish the 2013 TBF of Michigan state championship and fish the 2014 Northern Division IN MICHIGAN!!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

One thing I will add is that I was always glad I went to every single divisional I ever had the chance to go to, even as an alternate or board rep. They're always fun and interesting. Lots of comradery and learning potential. Often made new friends, not always just from the 'home' state. Networking is just as important in fishing as anything else. Plus, there's that chance to make it to really big tournaments through qualifying.

Team houston

I agree. I always like seeing new water and its more fun than I think it will be.

djkimmel

That's how I feel. I don't think I was ever sorry that I went.

bsimpson

I was lucky enough to make it on the 2013 state team and call me crazy, but I'm looking forward to this tournament - I actually enjoy the travel.

josh617

Quote from: djkimmel on November 18, 2012, 07:13:42 PM
It's not that big a deal. It is the Ohio federation's turn to host the Northern Divisional. Their choices are pretty limited. Lake Erie or the Ohio River pretty much. I don't know why they were not going to pick Sandusky or another part of Erie this year. I didn't ask anyone about it. I was just told it would not be out of Sandusky this time around.

funny thing is that every acts like the divisional is a huge tournament, number wise, while im reality its only a 36 boat tournament. There are more options than erie and the ohio river many of which fish far better than the ohio river, seems odd allowing the divisional to occur in another state other than the host state, maybe we do the divisional next year out of canada?
My opinion is only slightly bias though, since i live in ohio and its a 4 hour drive to fish a crappy body of water, and people wonder why i fish in michigan :)

djkimmel

Naw... we know why all of you come to Michigan to fish! We have tons of great water with great habitat and plenty of forage!

They aren't real big tournaments numbers-wise, but they do need a host city or group, and certain minimum facilities. I also think few anglers want to go to what they might consider undersized bodies of water for a three day event. They want some spreading out room. Maybe the psychological feeling that they can run somewhere and find the hot spot?

If you have some water suggestions that you think would work, you should share them with the Ohio TBF for their next turn. I look at a map of Ohio and I don't see a whole lot of 3-day tournament material. Grand Lake St. Mary's is not loved by many people for similar reasons for the Ohio River. Alum Creek I think was done in the far past I think. I don't hear much talk about that lake. Pymatuning was done in the way past. More in Pennsylvania than Michigan but I think there might be a special regs issue on that lake? I think there were some issues recently with Delaware and Mosquito too? I think there are tournaments on Indian Lake but I don't know if there are multi-day events there, or much about their results or angler popularity? I can't trust my memory for much without looking stuff up but I can remember it is often a challenge to find a body of water in some states that makes more than half the anglers happy.

I don't think Michigan has locked anything in for 2014 yet either but they could already be negotiating with someone for all I know.

I like fishing rivers, myself. The year I fished a divisional on the Ohio River somewhere else, it was pretty tough, but I had a great practice. That tournament taught me quite a few things - some the good way and some the hard way. That's bass tournament fishing at the higher levels - challenges you need to overcome. The kind of stuff that makes anglers better tournament anglers than just fishing the same lake all the time.

motocross269

Lake Charlevoix would be an excellent choice for a Michigan Divisional...Lots of water there....

I would like to see Michigan showcase something other than LSC...As much as I love that lake.. ;D

Mojo

Were just a few national articles away from those connected bodies in traverse city area being a regular regional or national host. The fish, hotels, waters, everything is there. I'm sure a few spots in Minnesota or Wisconsin feel the same way. It is unfortunate that Michigan isn't considered central, but one needs to just skip any thoughts of Ohio and go north to Michigan.
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

djkimmel

My goal is 1 or 2 national tournaments every year in Michigan. The hard part is building the local support. We have at least 1 next year.

As far as the TBF Northern Division Championship in 2014, it wouldn't hurt to get more members and have them get involved by sharing their opinions. It still comes down to some local involvement and support though for this type of event. Almost can't get a multi-day regional / national event somewhere if there is no local support.

Probably what we need to do is start getting more local government and business people into our clubs and at fishing events. Networking really works if you can get some people to help do it.