Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:19:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Clam Lake Muskeyes

Started by Got Fish??, August 23, 2012, 05:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Got Fish??

I fished a lot of muskeyes out of Lake St Claire. I have herd a lot of stories about Clam Lake. I will be on the lake sometime Laborday weekend. Can anyone give up any information on what too use, or where to start?

djkimmel

Small lake. I usually lose some jerkbaits, topwater, spinnerbaits to big pike and bigger muskie that time of year throughout the lake though I've seen the most muskie from the Clam River in from Torch Lake to the first half mile into Clam Lake. 49 pound muskie came out of there 15 falls or so ago.

My biggest have been in the mid-20 pound range and I usually lost. I have seen them ripping into suckers in there, skipping them right out of the water. Big suckers. Makes me jumpy...

I would think you could catch muskies anywhere in the lake since it is more like a river and some of them definitely go through the Grass River at the other end into Lake Bellaire. I've seen some 'toad' muskie in Bellaire too. I've just had all my muskie bites in that first part of Clam from Torch and pound pike the rest of the way. Big pike. They really know how to wrap your bait up in the thick weeds there too.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Got Fish??

Thank you Dan. I will put all of your advise and information, to good use.LaborDay week end.

djkimmel

Make sure we get a fishing report!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

TheFishinPollock

Mann . That chain is gonan be bussssssssy next weekend. We just fished a nbaa there and for 2 practice days. I was a fishing god!. Come the faitful day I was a fishing CLOD.   :D Water was really churned up good too.   I know there are  many large pike prowling around out there. Guy at work whomps um good .  I use to get them in Skegemog about dark trolling fast and near the top if not on top.  Your best bet might be Bellaire. Not alota "pleasure seekers" make the trek all the way up the chain. So it is just local boats sking or mabye a small bass tourney.
Matthew" the pollock" Novak
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

Got Fish??

Thank you T.F.P. I haven't fish any big lakes on the Holiday week ends yet! The weather has always been windy and or rainy. So I fish smaller lakes.  Bear Lake, Cub Lake. The Twin Lakes. I have  some friends who lived on Bellaire. I will heed your warning and try Bellaire Lake, My friends set me up with a map.

robhj

The current state record Great Lakes Spotted muskie was actually tagged by the DNR originally in Clam Lake.  It was eventually caught in Torch lake later in the year and was one of the most beautifally colored muskies I have ever seen. Clam Lake has a resident population of muskies, but also gets some of the big girls that swim in there from Torch Lake to spawn & return to the bigger water of Torch. The entire system up there (I-chain, Elk, Skegemog, Torch, Bellaire) has a native population of Great Lakes muskies, but has very low density. Great place to fish and even if the muskies don't cooperate, the smallie fishing can by dynamite. Good luck this weekend.

djkimmel

I've seen a handful of the muskies up there. I did however see a MONSTER many, many years ago while running right down the middle of Torch over about the deepest part years ago.

It happened real fast and my primitive mind thought, of course, sturgeon because it was bigger by far than you would expect a fish to be when used to looking at bass, carp, suckers and trout all day. Sturgeon was the only fish I would expect to get that big, but then I remembered there are Great Lakes strain muskies landlocked in the chain and my fishing brain was pretty sure it saw a mouth full of teeth - so I'm thinking it might have been the new state record's Grandma or something...

Since I didn't know how to target muskie out in the middle of a lake that deep that is 18 miles long I just thought 'wow, that was cool' and went back to bass fishing.

Got Fish??

No muskeyes this year. Caught lots of smallmouth. Had all the lakes to myself Friday. Fished Bellair and Skegamog. It was a fun crankbait bite. Find 13', cast up the brake to 10'. Plug of choice. Bill Norman SunFish. Torch was a zoo Saturday

bwebber

Gotfish,

Did you do better on Bellaire or Skegmog? 

Webber

Got Fish??

Webber hello, We were on Skegmog when we figured out the pattern. So more fish landed on our deck there. Bellaire is a nice lake as well. Quite different type of fishing compared to southeastern Mich. Closest to lake St Clair type, with a twist".

bwebber

Gotfish,

Thanks for the info, hope you get into some muskies next year!  But catching smallie's instead isn't too bad either.

Webber

Got Fish??

Nice fish taken out of Bellair last week. 59",59 lbs Or something like that. I herd that a smallmouth fishermen caught it. On 8lb test line,WayToGo! I saw this in Saturday's paper, it made the front page.

robhj

Yep, a 59" & 58 lb new state record great lakes spotted muskie caught by some smallie fisherman. Great catch & hopefully we'll see more of these monsters because of the recent muskie regulations changes. As an apex predator there is a very low density of muskies, especially in that system. Would be nice to see those waters support a true trophy fishery for all species, including muskies. The last record was caught in Torch and I didn't think that would be beat anytime soon, and this fish beat it by several pounds! Another month or so left for someone to now catch a new record smallie.