Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:31:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Drop Shotting

Started by Dan, April 09, 2006, 09:42:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

Well with the new regs finally addressing this technique it seems we ought to have a thread on it, or have we? What are your favorite hooks, baits, and weights. Do you use the drop shot weights. Do the clips work well on them when you cast. What about the knot you use to tie your hooks? Do you use multiple baits on the rig and if so how many and do you vary the type or stick to the same bait.? How about rattles? Do they up improve your hook up rate with this rig? What conditions do you go to this rig in. How much of a distance do you leave between the hook and the wait. Ever use this rig for bed fishing? I can honestly say I have never fished this antithesis of the carolina rig, but I have bought some weights, hooks and some soft plastic and plan to work on learning the set up this year. Got a lake with a lot of smelt in it and the smallies seem to disappear off the flats in the summer and my guess is they go deeper to eat those smelt and this rig ought to be effective once you locate that ball of smelt. In any case have been doing some reading and video watching and plan to give it a try.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

djkimmel

I've done it a little. I've use it on beds too. Doesn't seem remarkedly better than other techniques, but it works pretty good.

I've used grubs, small worms and done pretty good on Xtreme Bass Tackle 4" X-worms in the melon-tinsel. It doesn't have to be a real tiny bait to work.

I've used mostly 8 to 16 inches between the sinker and hook - just haven't had the opportunity in the past to try it enough in a lot of different situations with the past regs.

I've tried a few different sinkers. I used some rubber core at first because I could change them quick, but no matter what I did, almost every time a bass jumped violently, the sinker went sailing. I've been using bullet sinkers lately sliding on the line above a split ring, or just slipping a loop over a plain walking sinker - depends on weeds or no weeds respectively.

I've used several small hooks - the Standout hook well, but can cause line twist. I've used small wide gap for rigging texposed or Octopus-type hooks for nose-hooking.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

canvsbk

We have drop shotted only after post spawn. End of June, that sort of thing.The lakes over here, S.W., get a ton of both fishing and pleasure boat pressure. Our standard rig is 1/4 oz skinny drop shot weight, #1 or 1/0 drop shot hook tied with a palomar knot up about 30" and then another 3' up to a barrel swivel to elimenate twist. Never a problem with this rig.
You can move the sinker up if you need to be closer to the bottom quite simply.
The usual plastic colors all work, I like both YUM and Zoom finesse worms and also use 2 1/2" tubes quite a bit.
Fish it deep and slow....as far out as you can find any weeds from the outside edge. Mid day is the best time, this is not for everybody, it's slow going but you can really whack 'em when the pressure's on.
Look past what they want you to see.

smbassman

The key points I have found with the drop shot is don't overwork the lure & don't wait for a strike.  The fish usually suck the lure in and don't move, so you really only know a fish is there by the extra weight when you lift up.  If you wait until you feel the fish pull, it will most likely be hooked deep.

Revtro

I have some of the Bokudan drop shot weights and haven't had the same problem as Dan with them coming off during a fight.  But every once in a while there's a weight that doesn't have good teflon on the piano wire and it cuts the line when I cinch it down.  And don't be afraid to fish it deep in current.  I've had decent days with it fishing the St. Clair channels on the drops, 12 feet or so deep.  Never bed fished wth it.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

225XS4Garza200PXL

Dropshotting produced decently for me last year when fishing in pressured water... There are a few areas where I think the dropshot will really excel and i'm anxious to try it out on some of those areas...

My dropshot gear consists of a St. Croix Avid 6-9MLXF-S with a Shimano Symetre... I used 6 lb line some last season and it's just to nervewrecking when fighting a good fish... so I use 10 lb Seaguar now...

For hooks, I use the Gamakatsu dropshot hooks... and for weights i've use the round ones where you just slide the line in and it gets crimped in there... This year i'll be working with Provider Tackle on some different style of dropshot weights... there are3 styles in dropshot weights that Art offers through his company...

I'm looking forward to playing with the dropshot this season...

Jose Garza

Guide and Tournament Angler - Book a Trip Today!!
www.josegarzafishing.com

Stratos Boats - The Performance Company
www.stratosboats.com

Wonderland Marine West
www.wonderlandmarinewest.com

Provider Tackle - Pro's Choose It, We Supply It!
www.providertackle.com

Nemesis Baits - Hand Poured Goodness in Every Bag!
www.nemesisbaits.com

Mizmo Bait Co.
www.mizmo.com

Bender

Any updates on people using this technique yet this year?
I have a rig set up for this (7'4" Medium/fast, little calcutta 50 reel, 12 lb PowerPro with 8lb floro leader, #2 gammy d/s hooks) but I have not used it yet. It seems from my last two trips out the bass are off the flats around here so I was thinking about trying it.
Also how are you using it? Vertical "jigging" it? I am in smaller sized lakes with decent breaks, so I figure at the bottom of the breaks, but where else is good? Thanks!
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

smbassman

Fish it anywhere you think the fish are - but remember, when you are fishing it, don't wait for a strike.  You have to feel for weight.  The only strike I have ever felt has been from little fish like gils, rock bass and short bass.  The larger bass just grab it and sit there or maybe swim away slowly.  After the weight hits bottom, shake the line or just deadstick it and then lift up to check for additional weight.

McCarter

DONT SET THE HOOK!!!!!

With the small hooks used when drop-shotting, you cant set the hook hard or you risk pulling that little thing right out of the fishes moth.

Instead, just reel in at a medium fast pace with your rod tipat about 10 o clock.

If you have good hooks, they will set themself. 

This was a tough one for me when i started, especially if the fish hit it pretty good.  Instinct forced me to rear back and try to knock the fish sideways with a Superman hookset.  Doesnt work.  I lost way more fish that i caught.

Maybe others have had luck with setting the hook on the fish, but it doesnt work for me.  But i have excellent hook ups by just reeling in and applying pressure once i feel weight.

My best day ever dropshotting came on ___________ lake on the 4th of july in 2004.  The lake was packed with boaters, jetskis, waterskiiers, etc.  I was fishing from a friends boat and there was 3 of us.  I was the only one catching fish.  I was drop-shotting and it proved to be the way to fish on heavily pressure water.  I caught fish consistantly for 6 hours while my other friends struggled.

It is definatly a great pattern if used in the right place at the right time.  Like lake erie in 25-45 feet of water any time in the summer.  Those fish dont need pressure to bite a DS.   But on any lake, if there is a ton of pressure like tournament boats, jetskis, waterskiiers, drunk idiots, what have you, try it. 

PB himself :-\'

spinninbug

I have been practicing this for a few weeks now Dan.  Terry has made me just use this rig only when we have went out,  sometimes he can be mean that way! :)  But I have gotten to really like it.  I'm pretty simple in what I use though,  just a finese worm I really wacked em on one of the lakes over here,  oh and it worked great on bedded large mouth,  when I couldn't get them to take anything else or Terry couldn't I would just drop that drop shot in there and they would just inhale it.  So I guess by him not letting me use something else has taught me to like it.  So maybe he wasn't so mean after all!!! :D
Wendy

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.

spinninbug

Oh and I'm also curious to see how it will work on Crystal!
Wendy

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.

UPBert

Drop shooting is one of my favorite (smallmouth) techniques up here in July and August on deep clear lakes.  I look for points and humps that drop frrom about 25' to 40'.  It can be a great numbers technique, with many quality fish also.  Pick up the occasional green fish, rock bass, bluegill, perch and pike.  Sunny afternoons seem to be the best time for me.  I use gammy dropshot hooks, and usually a 1/4 oz. weight - most any weight will work fine, but I like ones with a swivel.  Usually have the weight about 1-2' below the bait.  3" straight worms work well wacky rigged.  Also, definitely don't try a dark colored tiny Ika nose hooked...!  When the bite is on its fun to watch the graph, can see your bait going down and fish coming up to meet it.

I have also used this setup successfully with leeches/minnows for walleye, small crappie tubes for perch, and a two hook set up with very small plastics for bluegill when they are deep.  Keeps the bait/lure from hiding under a rock.

Nice relaxing way to fish on a summer afternoon, especially after you have been up half the night over-serving yourself, waking up at 05:30 in a lawnchair next to the fire, and beating the banks for 5 hours early, or so I've heard...

Good luck - UPBert

McCarter

Quote from: UPBert on June 22, 2006, 02:24:03 PM

...especially after you have been up half the night over-serving yourself, waking up at 05:30 in a lawnchair next to the fire, and beating the banks for 5 hours early, or so I've heard...

Sounds like my kinda party ;D

PB himself :-\'

Andy

Now do you guys just drop it over the side or do you give it a good cast when fishing the drop shot.And do you guys drag it like a c-rig but slower  ???

UPBert

Andy - I usually fish it straight down over the side of the boat.  Maybe drag it slowly with the electric motor to stay on the spot.

UPBert

Savage

Great rig for a tough mid-summer bite on the Northern lakes.  Anything that the fish are hanging around seems to be a good target.  I like to use a Mann's draggin finesse worm in Kudzu color...
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

Dan

I have found the best DVD that you are going to find on drop shotting. It comes from a guy by the name of Seth Burrel who lives out west and has a outdoors show. This DVD is a must for those who want to become adept at this technique. I came across it after a friend of mine went out to Seattle and attended a walleye club event with a friend of his out there. He brought the DVD back and brought it over and we watched it. I talked him in to leaving it a few days ( I had it two weeks) and I watched it several times. I have talked with Seth and told him how much I liked and appreciated the DVD and told him I would review it and put it on our teardropbass.com webpage. I will have a hot link to his site there for those who are interested in getting a copy. Unlike some of you go getters I am not getting a penny or repping for him. I am a tad hesitant to put it out there because it is that good. I think it will definitely give me a competitive edge and should probably keep it to myself but.... I am at my cabin and I don't have an FTP on this old machine we leave at the cabin. I plan to go home toward the end of the week and will put the link on our Tear Drop page.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."