Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:27:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Hot Ponds on 11/20

Started by t-bone, November 22, 2010, 08:13:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

t-bone

It took a little while to find our way into the hot ponds due to some fog and first time navigating the sand bars but we made and what an interesting place.

Charlie Gabbeart (Capt Charlie Charters) and I fished the morning and early afternoon. We probably caught around 30 largemouth and a couple dink smallies. Out of the LM, two were pushing 4 pds. We had to weed thru a ton of dinks. Used a dropshot and crankbait for most. Charlie caught a big carp on a crank.

The fish are so thick in there, you feel your crank just bouncing of fish. I pulled in my crank once with an enormous scale on it. Had to be a monster carp. Gizzard Shad jumping everywhere.

Saw a couple bald eagles while we were back there. It was a fun way to end the season.

Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

dartag

is there shore access to fish from.   i would like to go shoot some photos of the eagles and maybe fish a little.  i see a platform in the background of one of the photos.

Skulley

Quote from: dartag on November 22, 2010, 09:19:50 AM
is there shore access to fish from.   i would like to go shoot some photos of the eagles and maybe fish a little.  i see a platform in the background of one of the photos.

Yes there are platforms to fish from.  DTE owns the park that has public shore fishing access.  The eagles are residents of the area.  The water over the last few days was 20 to 30 inches above normal pool.  It still can be an adventure getting in there.

BD                             ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

t-bone

There were at least 6 fishing platforms and we caught a lot of our fish near them. A lot of current at the end of area and were it relaxed a bit is where many of our fish were. I saw two eagles, maybe a third. The eagles were about half way into the area but I would assume if you visited enough, you'd be able to see them.

This area has so much wildlife due to the water temp from the plant. It was 60+ water temp and with it being protected from the wind, it actually was hot there on Saturday. Lots of clothes to run there and then most of it off to fish.

At one point I counted 10 boats fishing the area. There was a little dock that must have been holding perch or specks? Three boats had it surrounded and were fishing minnows under the dock. The fish I saw come out looked like perch from a distance.

Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club

djkimmel

Thanks for the report. Nice carp picture Charlie! Did you snag it or did it hit the crankbait?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

t-bone

Surprisingly, it had the hooks in the mouth.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club

djkimmel

I have caught quite a few on crankbaits, especially in the Grand River here in Lansing. I have actually seen them hit the crankbait a few times including one giant carp in crystal clear water on Lake Charlevoix that actually stalked and attacked my bottom-bouncing crankbait!

I was with an old fishing partner, Big Fish Chip, and saw 2 big carp swimming along a slightly deeper flat. It was during a slow period later in the day (so I was bored) and I threw out ahead of them. As soon as the crankbait passed in front of them, digging the bottom, they both turned and one aggressively pounced on the crankbait. BIG carp! Turned the nose of the boat around a little on the first run!

I also had a number of them hit tubes and other small grubs over the years on Saginaw Bay, Grand River, St. Clair River, Detroit River, Tippy Dam Pond and who knows where else. Maybe because I grew up in the lovely city of Flint Michigan is why I catch a lot of carp?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Skulley

The carp, sheephead, gizzard shad all hit crank baits in there.  Surprisingly the carp and the sheephead chase minnows in there.  And yes all kinds of wildlife live there.  The warm water keeps the area "alive"!!

BD                 ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

mikesmiph

And, where would this place be? How would someone find it from shore? Thanks guys

Manxfishing

use googgle maps to zoom in down there
It's just below the rasin river
It looks like a river on the map. But is just the hot water discharge for the
Monroe power plant. (Hot Pond)

You'd take I-75 to E. Front street and then head east
I believe there's a small parking lot by the dam in the back end
And the shore platforms are in the better fishing area

Haven't fished it this year
But in the past I've done well on plastic down there

Durand Dan

Quote from: mikesmiph on November 23, 2010, 07:21:20 AM
And, where would this place be? How would someone find it from shore? Thanks guys
Mike,
Let me know if you want to take a ride down there

t-bone

Sorry, it's a secret!

Not sure where you'd park for the shore fishing.

This address comes up right at the end of the hot ponds:
E Front St, Monroe, MI 48161

Here is a link:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=41.890346,-83.351201&num=1&t=h&sll=42.539996,-83.536302&sspn=0.006295,0.006295&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=41.891672,-83.351415&spn=0.004488,0.009645&z=17&iwloc=A
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club

Got Fish??

Hello Mr. Gabbeart nice fish. We haven't gone fishing together yet. You and I played a lot of softball together, years a go. I lost your contack info. Let's get together this winter and plan a trip for next year. Dave Benson (GOT FISH??).

capt charlie's charters

last year its was catfish and this year carp.  pretty much started the season with a 20+ on Kent during the Veterans Tournament in June that slammed my Senko and ended with the 17(?) that attacked my crank bait.  jeez what next for 2011?  sturgeon while bass fishing ?

guess its better then sheep head.

going stir crazy already.
captcharlie

Manxfishing

Heard that the water is down right now
And there's been a large fish kill in there as well

Anyone know any thing?

dartag

Skulley

Quote from: Manxfishing on January 03, 2011, 04:01:48 PM
Heard that the water is down right now
And there's been a large fish kill in there as well

Anyone know any thing?

This is the first I have heard about this.  The link dartag posted looked interesting.  If it is the hot pond, the videographer should have pointed that camera at the stacks.  That bank could be any where.  That is not the only hot pond.

BD                         ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

McCarter

mike lohn aka the lohn wolf posted a mini report with pics and a short video from this past weekend on bbc.  said there were thousands of dead fish washed up on shore and the water levels were low.  wonder whats doin on. cant be good whatever it is

McCarter himself :-\'

josh617

here an email steve hewetts forwarded me from steve hewett:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 8:09 AM
To: Hewett, Steve (DNRE); Braunscheidel, Jeffrey (DNRE); Hay-Chmielewski, Elizabeth (DNRE)
Subject: RE: Fishing Kill Monroe, MI hot ponds

Yeah, I just got a call on this one yesterday.  Below is a link to some video that was shot on Dec. 31.  But the fish kill itself tool place the first week of December.  The guy was concerned because there are a bunch of eagles in the area and if the fish were contaminated, he did not want them killing the eagles. 

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e102/21xdc/?action=view¤t=100_0050.mp4

This kill took place in the Hot Ponds.  This is the discharge from the power plant at the mouth of the River Raisin.  He said the water temperature when they were fishing there ranged from 43-46 degrees.  We know the plant shut down at some point, so temperature shock is definitely a consideration.  Although this guy thinks there is more to it than that.  He thinks it was a total kill and that there were dead ducks and a dead opossum too. 

I told the guy there is absolutely nothing we can do with fish that died a month ago.  He said he did not like the response but understood.  However, the guy has a web page where they are trying to talk this up with the local media to get coverage.  It sounds like they are still pursuing the plan.

I passed on the dead wildlife report to Tim Payne, the wildlife supervisor.  He said he would forward the report to his field biologist.  I also have a call into Water Bureau of DEQ to see if they have any reports.

I will let you know if I learn anymore.

djkimmel

Strange happenings. Thanks for checking into it Josh and providing some info. Lots of strange, localized fish, bird and animal die offs lately all over the place. Though it may be news is just covering it more right now.