Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 11:36:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Bad Tournament year...What now???

Started by motocross269, November 12, 2010, 03:10:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motocross269

I Had a rough year fishing tournaments this year...First year I haven't cashed a check in a major tournament...I got my butt kicked in my club and fell out of the top 10...
I think I did a pretty good job finding fish but my execution stunk...Early in the year It seemed like every fish was pulling off...I tried the obvious things, changing hooks, line etc....
As the year went on different issues came into play...Other boaters on spots, fish just disappearing, Bad prefishing and practice....etc etc....
Now what?? What do you guys do to turn things around and get going in the right direction..??? I know "Fish more" is the right answer but with my job that is tough.....
I have been eye balling the Golf clubs in the corner of the basement...That is a bad sign... ;D

McCarter

learn from it and adjust next season.  it happens to everyone.  so much of fishing is mental.  if your mind isnt 110% on what your doing, its easy to slip up.  i had a season like you are explaining 3 years ago.  nothing i did worked, i lost a ton of fish, i couldnt find fish, i couldnt pattern fish, etc.  i changed the way i prepared for tournaments the following year and had my best season at the time.  i learned from my mistakes that i was still making and worked to correct them the best i could.  i was even more prepared this season.  i spent all winter reviewing my performance from the past in my head over and over.  i had my best season ever this year.  i will give you an example of a time i slipped up and didnt prepare well enough for an event.  the tbf event on muskegan this year.  you know first hand what my main focus was up there.  party time.  come tournament day, i was sleepy and a little dehydrated.  i went out and fished and ended up losing a 2.5 lb, 2 fish over 3 lbs, and a fricken giant.  i could have made the state team easily had i been better prepared.  very valuable lesson learned.  now i keep the intake to a minimum the night before a tournament.  live and learn.

biggest thing is dont let it get you down too much.  look forward to next season and working out the bugs.

McCarter himself :-\'

Durand Dan

So many things come into play when discussing tournament readiness. I remember reading an article in BASS mag several years ago concerning the mental aspect. In included references to, home life, job situation and other outside influences. The last couple of years I have experienced exactly that with unemployment and family medical issues. It's hard to concentrate on the water when your focus is landlocked.

motocross269

;D ;D at Brian...You were rocking that night for sure....It was all in fun and it is awesome that we were both so cool about it, it gave me alot of respect for you....

Thanks for the tips...

dartag

Great topic

I finished out my 2010 log book yesterday.  Fished about the same number of events and spent about the same number of hours on the water,  but had much worse results than other years. Started the year losing a big fish at kent that would have put us way up in the standings.  Finished the year at Cass with my partner losing a big one that would have really helped.  Spent most of October just fun fishing.  Learned a lot, so we will see what happens next year.   Guess if it was easy everyone would be doing it.

mikesmiph

I'm with a lot of you. This was my first full year of tournament fishing and I was not impressed with myself. Granted, my Father being sick and dying had a lot to do with it. Got called away from several tournaments due to that,(and wouldnt trade my Dad for any of them). My health was also an issue (talk about Muskegon, I was in worse shape than Brian, and I dont drink LOL). Almost lost my leg over a fishing tournament (I was not sane). Now, on to better things. One of the tournaments I fished the whole day, I took second. I will keep this memory for ever. I will also study it and try to figure out what I did different that day, than others. I also did very good this year "fun" fishing. My buddy Dan pointed out that I try all different things when I'm in a tournament. I need to fish my strengths. I also have a young lady that I'm trying to bring along in this at the same time. One more season and she will be in Juniors. She is awesome, and one of the biggest reasons I enjoy fishing so much. We'll see some of you at the shows this winter. We'll swap stories and try to learn something. I know one thing, I will be fishing tournaments for the rest of my life. I'm hooked. Thank you to all my friends

Mike S.

Wish I would have known about all the partying before the Muskegon tournament. I live 5 minutes from there. Would have loved to join in all the fun. As for Mike, his leg was a shaky situation. I had him in my boat the whole day before the tourney, and it was pretty freaky.  Now, it's almost winter. So, this is a good time to get your drinking out of the way, and reflect on the ups and downs of this year. Next year will be my first tournament year, so I will be paying close attention to what you guys have to say, as well as what I am doing. Don't have too high of expectations, going in hopes of learning this year.

thedude

i had a pretty decent year i think. better than last year for sure. got some confidence in a few new techniques toward the end of the season that i think will immensely help me out next year on a few lakes I continually struggle with. My worst tournament (if you can even call it that) was one up in newaygo where we only fished against one boat. we lost with a 12lb limit. The reason it was my worst was that I lost 3 good keepers that day - 2 pull-offs and break off. That just doesn't happen to me. I might not be the guy that comes to the ramp and culled 20 fish, but if i hooked 5 - chances are very high they all made it into the boat. I was fishing with an elbow injury so every hook-set resulted in wincing pain - but i still set the hook! Hoping some equipment changes for the technique i was using will help remedy the fish lost.

the next tournament i can think of was on hardy in august... god. I pre-fished 4 times and didn't boat a keeper until the last one. During the tournament we didn't get bit at all on any of the pre-fish spots.  I don't know what i could have done - if you can't find 'em you can't catch 'em i guess. Its a problem on that lake in the summer for most guys, i see the only fix for this as just grinding out more time on the water in upcoming seasons.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

TCook

I did not do much fishing this year, only fished 5 tournaments 4 being lakedrive and a tbf no local tournies at all. Every tourney was a failure standings wise although I did learn some important things fishing with bond. We fished good enough to squeek into the classic making some good decisions but we also made some bad decisions which cost us a check or two and missed a couple key fish. After a bad two years of tourney fishing from the back of the boat I think I am done with it. I see a boat in my future now so I will probably not tournament fish next year to save $ quicker. I cant wait to try and figure it out on my own and see what I can do.
FISH HARD!!!

Redbone

The first of the year I started out strong.  Then I hit a wall.  Struggling to catch a bass over 14''.  By the end of the year I improved just enough to be the "Bubble Boy" in alot of tourneys.  (first one out of the money) :'(. I definetly have some room for improvement. ;D TRY, TRY, TRY AGAIN NEXT SEASON!

djkimmel

Great discussion. I'm sure more is coming. I like the talk about distractions. They make it harder. On that topic, my suggestion for now would be:

Sell the golf clubs!! ;D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

MadWags

One word. Bourbon. This is the single most effective way to regain your confidence and forget about a bad tournament. Although Bourbon should not be used during a tournament, its use directly following a tournament can be very encouraging. Since I started using Bourbon I have been able to improve my tournament stats substantially.

I even wrote a song about it. Goes something like this.

Bourbon's like a long lost friend.
Talks to me again and again.
When I'm down and feeling the stress.
Bourbon helps me get on thru the mess.
I like Bourbon
Bourbon likes me
Without that golden juice I just don't know where I'd be.
Its not heaven its not hell
Bourbons somewhere in between
But I'm too drunk to tell.

Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

djkimmel

How many times I gotta tell you?!? Don't drunk post!!! ;D

I bet you could sell that song to GillzNFinz.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

MadWags

Not drunk Dan..... geeeez ::)

Still working
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

fishstick

Sounds like a tough year but those are inevitable in this sport. I mostly fish inland so some of my suggestions aren't going to be relevant on the bigger water. But what really helps me is just going with the flow of things and keeping an open mind. Usually when I show up to the ramp I don't have much of a plan if one at all. I just try a few things and see where they go...this way I can't get myself to bummed out if I don't expect to pull up and whack 15lbs right away. This also allows you to make decisions as the day goes instead of following some sort of attack plan. One good decision usually leads to another and soon enough things are working for you. But being comfortable with your decisions and listening to your instincts at all times is key. For example if your cruising down the lake and something catches your eye go fish it!!!! it doesn't matter if I've never fished there or fished there 100 times and never caught anything I always listen to it. Anyway I guess my point is keep an open mind and don't over think things. Also keeping outdoors year round through hunting and ice fishing really helps my decision making.

Another good way to get some confidence in decision making is to show up and fish a tournament on a lake you have never fished before and know NOTHING about.

djkimmel

Sorry Wags! I just wanted to post that. Please forgive...