Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:31:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Just a little tease - Mullett Lake Smallmouth Bass Video

Started by djkimmel, November 05, 2010, 10:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

Here's just a little taste of my upcoming video fishing report for my unplanned, unannounced late fall northern Michigan trophy smallmouth hunt - two days up on maybe, possibly, probably, my favorite lake, at least for just this thing - Mullett Lake. I fished it October 24 and 25, 2010 coming out of a horrible cold front that included rain, sleet, hail, falling slush, more rain and lots of wind. I may end up with a couple videos from this trip. We'll see. But for now just this short little teaser... hope you like it!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

TCook

FISH HARD!!!

Firefighter Jeff

That was a tease alright.  Where's the bad weather???  You were there Sunday and Monday, I was near there the follwing Friday and Sat.  And we had highs in the mid 40s and a lot of wind in the afternoons!!  What were the water temps??  Friend of mine was on Burt that Monday and said he had 57 degrees.  It was 49, five days later when I was there.  Looking forward to seeing more video.

djkimmel

It was 51 to ~53 late the week before until Monday. Overnight for some reason Mullett warmed up to 55 - 56 that morning already. I haven't figured that out!?! The rain the previous 4 days was not warm (I didn't think). Definitely not the sleet, hail, falling slush and wind driven waves! Those bass can change fast because of the weather sometimes.

You know I can't tape in the rain. I actually fished a few hours late Friday on another lake. Rained the whole time. I fished most of the day Saturday on another lake. It rained from about an hour after I got there until I left so no pictures or video there. It rained most of Sunday except for about 2 hours (not counting the early morning when I was sleeping ;D ).

I worked outside up there all day Thursday and most of Friday in quite a bit of the hail, sleet, rain and falling slush. Yuck!

Soon as I get the first full video done, I'm going to post it up here with some pictures. Also do an article on my blog on WFN.tv with your pics and mine, and the video about our great fall smallmouth bass fishing in general we have all over northern Michigan!!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

MadWags

Looks like you gave that Grandt C10 a workout!
Way to go!
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

Musky

Nice video!!!  Looks like the smallies were getting their feed bag on.  Can't wait to see the rest...nice work!!!  Do you ever fish Douglas Lake when you are up there?

Musky

djkimmel

Quote from: MadWags on November 06, 2010, 06:51:26 AM
Looks like you gave that Grandt C10 a workout!
Way to go!

Wags - there was steam coming off that C10 by the time me and the bass were done with it that day (it was already a little warm from Friday and Sunday but the constant rain kept it from glowing)!!! AWESOME rod! AWESOME!! Best spinnerbait rod I've ever used! I will discuss this in the full video.

djkimmel

Quote from: Musky on November 06, 2010, 08:53:20 AM
Nice video!!!  Looks like the smallies were getting their feed bag on.  Can't wait to see the rest...nice work!!!  Do you ever fish Douglas Lake when you are up there?

Musky

I've never got them on Douglas as good as I do on Mullett. I don't really like the ramp and parking situation either so I only get there about once every 3 years. Maybe 4 now since the last time I drove over there. So many good lakes up there!

djkimmel

Talking about that light and sensitive Grandt 7 foot C10 All American casting rod, it is a pure pleasure to throw spinnerbaits for flats and Great Lakes smallies. I say several times on tape how I could actually feel the blade rhythm change right before I got nailed. So I was ready, cocked and loaded for the bite.

You could feel everything so good when those smallies started fighting. They were fighting about as hard as I've had them fight there in a long time. Partly maybe because they were all so darn fat! Several times (I'm almost embarrassed when reviewing tape) I would slam the hooks home and immediately say, 'big bass' because they felt like toads! Then I'd see them and scratch my head...?? That's not the bass I felt... They were just fighting so hard!

With the sensitivity of the rod, I could react better when I felt them change, especially when they turned to jump. I'm pretty sure that is the most jumping action I've had there in a while. They don't always jump a lot in cold water, but the fish were really reaching for the sky Monday!

Even Sunday, the biggest one I caught jumped 7 times (after I reviewed and counted on the video)! When I landed it I said 5 but I was pretty excited at the time!! I lost another big TOAD Monday when it jumped between the trolling motor and the bow of my boat!

The C10's action made it easy for me to put a bunch little pops and jumps in the spinnerbait too. A number of times, I got nailed right after I'd do that. Coincidence? I don't think so... A light, sensitive rod like that makes your feel of the lure and action second nature. Makes fishing so much more enjoyable.

Mike S.

You know, Dan, I REALLY miss my Grandt.  Since I broke it on the 11th, I have has to fish with other rods, and I hate the rods that I once loved.  I stole my buddies Grandt.  I've caught more fish on it than he has!  But anyways, nice video.  Wish I was fishing from the back of the boat at that time.  Don't get many smallies that size over here on the west side.

djkimmel

Well, I hope to pick up another Grandt Rod or two this spring.

Someone asked about a group trip up to Mullett next spring. I don't know my schedule yet and I may have to be somewhat last minute flexible depending on some possible new outdoors work, but I will be up there sometime in the spring barring absolute impossibleness (is that a word?). If I know ahead of time when I'll be up there, I'll pass it along. Sometimes now I have to go during the week.

MadWags

Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

djkimmel

I try. Of course, I'm not the bigtime rocker like you are!! ;D

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: djkimmel on November 07, 2010, 09:18:58 PM
Well, I hope to pick up another Grandt Rod or two this spring.

Someone asked about a group trip up to Mullett next spring. I don't know my schedule yet and I may have to be somewhat last minute flexible depending on some possible new outdoors work, but I will be up there sometime in the spring barring absolute impossibleness (is that a word?). If I know ahead of time when I'll be up there, I'll pass it along. Sometimes now I have to go during the week.

Planning ahead is tough with my job.  You talk about needing to be flexible.  Well, I am already half way through the vacation picking process for next year. If you had the dates now for the Spring and Fall DK opens and any other trips, I'd be all set. lolol  Once vacations are picked here in another month nearly all the days from Mid May to Mid September will be taken.  But, I still get to fish a bunch during the week!!!  That's one of the best parts of this job  !!

djkimmel

Well, from what I know at the moment, I will probably have to stay flexible. I may be able to do some scheduling after a meeting tomorrow. We shall see. We all have our challenges. Fishing a bunch during the week isn't all so bad!! ;D

tociar

Nice video! Love to catch those smallmouth.  Makes me count the days till i come back up to Erie.  I'll be there 3rd week in April.  Y'all are lucky to have so many good lakes around you.  I'm curious, when does Mullett and other lakes turn on in that area May or June, and when is the best time to come in the fall?  I usually make 2 to 3 trips / year to Lake Erie starting in April, again in May and then again in October.  My spring trips are terrific in catching Smallies on Lake Erie.  However, the October trips haven't been as successful due to high winds.  Would be interested in St. Clair or another Michigan Lake for a fall trip; so would appreicite your feedback.   Again, thanks for sharing the video.  Look forward to hearing from you.  Thanks, ~Tony~ in Tennessee!                                       

djkimmel

St. Clair can get real windy too then (fall). We had that abnormally calm wind last week that was awesome.

Up north on the inland lakes can get good mid to late May depending on weather into late June. And then again a week or two after Labor Day on into the end of October depending on how cold it gets up there for how many days in a row. The big lakes up there can get pretty rough too. If you plan a week, plan on 1 to 3 days getting real wet or looking for a smaller lake or river.