Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 07:25:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

October Smallie Fishing?

Started by FireTiger, September 24, 2010, 09:21:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FireTiger

Planning a trip in Mid-October not finding a lot of info on Fall fishing.  We are planning to hit Elk, Skegemog and the river to Torch also considering Grand Traverse Bay (weather dependent).  Any info would be appreciated.

Eric

I will be fishing Burt/Mullet next weekend.  When I leave there Sunday, I have to go to TC for a conference that starts Monday.  Just so happens the boat will be with me, so I hope to get out up there myself.  I have been on Leelenau in the fall before, but none of the others.  So I could use some advice also.  If I get out, I will sure let you know how it goes.
www.ReelResponseSolutions.com
www.BassinWithEric.com

Mike S.

Zona did a show up there on the Torch river in mid October.  They caught some nice smallies on jigs in around 6 to 8 feet of water.  I wanted to try it this year, but finances aren't going to permit it.

Ryan

Quote from: mikeszr800 on September 26, 2010, 07:51:09 PM
Zona did a show up there on the Torch river in mid October.  They caught some nice smallies on jigs in around 6 to 8 feet of water.  I wanted to try it this year, but finances aren't going to permit it.

Mike,
You wouldn't happen to know if this show is available to watch online.  I must have missed it and would like to see it.  Thanks.

-Ryan

superbird

Last year i happened to run into KVD up in the traverse area in early October. He was headed to south Lake Leelanu for smallmouth. He said all of the lakes are good but he really preferred Leelanu this time of year. He has filmed a few shows from the lake and it does hold some great smallmouth. Hope this helps.

Got Fish??

make sure you pick a good weather day to go out. The weather that blows in off the big lake, can make or brake the bite. Live bait works best this time of year. Fast moving cranks and spinnerbaits works Not much of a softbait bite this time of year.

TCook

Gotta disagree on that not much of a soft bait bite in october and livebait works best any time of year. They gorge themselves on craws in the fall and nothing beats tubes or other craw imitations.
FISH HARD!!!

FireTiger

Zona's show is one of the reasons we are coming back up.  It was interesting and he did catch some nice fish.  I looked for it on-line but couldn't find that particular episode.  He does have quite a few of his shows linked on his web site.  Thanks for the info so far.

1javelin

Quote from: Eric on September 26, 2010, 04:48:27 PM
I will be fishing Burt/Mullet next weekend.  When I leave there Sunday, I have to go to TC for a conference that starts Monday.  Just so happens the boat will be with me, so I hope to get out up there myself.  I have been on Leelenau in the fall before, but none of the others.  So I could use some advice also.  If I get out, I will sure let you know how it goes.

I'll give you a pointer, don't skip docks looking for largemouths.  They won't win, only get you a "wow, there are largemouths in this lake infested with giant smallies!!!"

1jav
Live to fish, Fish to live.

Eric

I have never caught a largehead up there, but what an idea.  Surprise everyone with a bunch of bigheads.  Great call by the Herminator.
www.ReelResponseSolutions.com
www.BassinWithEric.com

djkimmel

I have caught largemouth bass in both the big lakes. (Lot's of them in Crooked of course.) My partner found a spot in the 90's that had the dumbest largemouth bass I've ever seen (no measure keepers too). I even weighed in a couple of them once on a very frustrating Burt Lake experience back in the 90's (me and Burt Lake do not get along...). Wish I had video of how I caught them. You wouldn't believe it otherwise! My partner watched me do it and couldn't believe it!!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

TCook

Just got back from fishing Burt for a couple days and the fall feed is in full effect we got on em right from the start and that lasted for about 5 hours until the wind picked up and the clouds rolled in. Struggled after the weather changed and it was just one here and there and nothing over 4 for the next day and a half. That first 5 hours made the trip worth it though we were sight fishing wolf packs of 4-5 pounders with glass conditions and a bluebird sky we ended up with 25 of them in that spurt. FFJeff was pumped up to experience the feeding frenzy up north style.
FISH HARD!!!

djkimmel

Got a text from him that day. He seemed happy!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Firefighter Jeff

I've had similar days fishing in my life, but I can count them on one hand!!!  Heck yes I was happy.  I might have giggled some too.  Bunch of quality fish.  Too bad the water was too warm, bluebird skies with no wind huh Tim  ????  lololol 

McCarter

giggling is good for the soul.  but not as good as catching 25 4-5 lb smallies.  nice job guys!

McCarter himself :-\'

Mojo

good choice to go to Burt and Mullet  -

my bud helped illinois college win the big ten championship on LSC this last weekend catching 19 lb and one was a1.5 14 dink ! So the big girls are showing up for the fall feed on LSC too !
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

FireTiger

Fishing trip wasn't outstanding but we had a good time.  I caught a 6lb. 13oz. smallie on Little Traverse Lake.  Couple of 4's on Elk and Skegemog but mostly smaller class.  A few on top water but most on cranks knocking them through the sunken timber on Skegemog.  Got to see the Z Man filming his show which was cool.

Firefighter Jeff

Good heavens, a 6.13  That would make a week long trip for me  !!!!!!  Let's see pics.  Great job  !!!!

Firefighter Jeff

oh, and where was Zman filming his show??

FireTiger

Zman was filming on Skegemog and Torch River.  BTW, Fire Fighter?  Career or Volunteer?  I am a career Fire Fighter in Ohio.