Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:55:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Fall Turnover

Started by dashaver63, September 08, 2010, 08:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dashaver63

Anybody got any tips for fishing during and after the fall turnover? Thats usually a miserable time for me and this year I'm determined to figure it out but I need a couple suggestions to help get that started. With these cooler nights I figure it's coming up pretty quick.

djkimmel

Try different lakes. Not all lakes go through a real turnover.

Definitely do rivers. No turnover and I love fall river fishing.

Flipping. Green weeds. Or any wood or docks. Fish slow and close to vertical.

Fish on windy days in the churned up water.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

TCook

My understanding is its all about the oxygen levels. When the water above the thermocline reaches the same temperature as below the thermolcline on deeper lakes it mixes and decreases the oxygen level throughout the water column. The highest oxygen level will be found in the top couple feet of the lake due to wind mixing in the oxygen so fish extreemly shallow and you should be able to catch some bass. Otherwise fish shallow lakes or rivers and you wont have to deal with the fall turnover.
FISH HARD!!!

djkimmel

Yes. Water temperature creates different water densities. It is so interesting that water (H2O) has a fairly unique property of getting 'lighter' again when it freezes rather than just getting more heavy as most things do. If this was not the case, meaning water is densest at about 39 degrees F and then gets lighter again until it freezes around 32 degrees F - making it float to the top again - much life on this planet would not be possible as our waters would freeze from the bottom up and solid, instead of from the top down as it actually does!! Yup. I'm a nerd.

Makes you think though... doesn't it?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

fiker

And..... much of what you said Dan is because of the bond angle created by the bonding of two hydrogen molecules, with one oxygen. 

The bond angle of 104.5 degrees, and the polarity of the bond O-H bond is the culprit.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

djkimmel

Way to out-nerd me!!! Thanks!!

McCarter

so eric bond has something to do with it?

I knew he was up to something!

Try fishing shallow, shallow water doesnt turnover.  just make sure you stay away from the windy side of the lake cuz all that gunk will blow into the shallows, thus defeating the purpose.

McCarter himself :-\'

fiker

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Manxfishing

Quote from: djkimmel on September 09, 2010, 04:22:03 PM
Yes. Water temperature creates different water densities. It is so interesting that water (H2O) has a fairly unique property of getting 'lighter' again when it freezes rather than just getting more heavy as most things do. If this was not the case, meaning water is densest at about 39 degrees F and then gets lighter again until it freezes around 32 degrees F - making it float to the top again - much life on this planet would not be possible as our waters would freeze from the bottom up and solid, instead of from the top down as it actually does!! Yup. I'm a nerd.

Makes you think though... doesn't it?

It's interesting
I wonder if the fish know this
Because for walleye in the spring 40 degrees in the temp that turns every thing on
In the fall they feed all the way to hard water

matt

Quote from: djkimmel on September 08, 2010, 09:05:30 PM
Try different lakes. Not all lakes go through a real turnover.

Definitely do rivers. No turnover and I love fall river fishing.

Flipping. Green weeds. Or any wood or docks. Fish slow and close to vertical.

Fish on windy days in the churned up water.

Ditto on river fishing...I'm wacking the heck out of them right now.The ones I'm pulling out all have pot bellies on them.They've been eating good!