Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 12:01:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Finding bass on Lake Macatawa

Started by flipnjig7210, July 05, 2010, 03:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flipnjig7210

Need help finding fish on lake Macatawa.Fished it on Sat.July 3 and never had a bite  :'( .Anybody have any advice.

djkimmel

Choose another lake? It is not the easiest lake to catch bass on consistently from what I've seen.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

ROI Outdoors

If you didn't catch any sheephead you are using the wrong baits.  Lake Mac is by no means a jig lake - but it is an excellent lake for other baits.  Because this is a tourney water information won't be thrown out publicly - if you would like some info. shoot me a PM.

Lake Mac is the most pattern sensitive lake I know - but when you figure out the pattern (which is the same pretty much year round) it is one fun lake.  July 3rd is probably the 2nd worst day of the year with the first being the 4th - lots of traffic out there. 
Luke A. Winstrom - Founder/President
Return On Investment Outdoors
luke.winstrom@roioutdoors.com
Direct Line - (616) 366-1395
Visit us Online @ www.roioutdoors.com

gr@ssmonkey

i'm by far someone who know's lake mac,but when i get to a lake like that,dirty water,little or no shoreline cover,limited structure?????  I let my crankbaits do the walking because,i'm not even sure what i'm looking for but when my crankbait finds it........it usaully lets me know..... ;D so just try casting and winding and work on making your crank hit something or the bottom,hope this helps......dans right though,lake mac is hard to be consistent on.

32eml24

Fish tighter to cover, and fish slower.  Look how muddy that water is!!! There are some huge largemouth in there though I know that.  I am yet to find the smallies but I bet there are some monsters.  You can PM me too I have a couple spots that usually produce.

djkimmel

I've only fished it 3 times I think. I've caught 1 big smallie. Thought I was onto something. Not. I know someone who used to be good there and could catch big smallies, but his spots are secret (tournament competition is tough over there) and sensitive to specific circumstances.

He gave me a few largemouth spots, but I did not make them work well. I did not catch very many bass and few keepers despite fishing a lot of water. If you are a patient and slow angler, you may do better. I'm not real good at either if I have another choice :)

What surprised me most about that lake is the boat traffic. It is like a muddy, mini-Lake St. Clair with a ridiculous amount of tuna boats creating all kinds of wakes. On a nice day, it is rougher than crap!! Just not enough deep water for that many boats, particularly big boats.

Be careful out there. Lots of shallow water you don't want to run through unless you're sure you know exactly where you are at. Running the channel limits you to hitting the wakes however they come at you.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

ROI Outdoors

Quote from: gr@ssmonkey on July 05, 2010, 06:49:22 PM
i'm by far someone who know's lake mac,but when i get to a lake like that,dirty water,little or no shoreline cover,limited structure?????  I let my crankbaits do the walking because,i'm not even sure what i'm looking for but when my crankbait finds it........it usaully lets me know..... ;D so just try casting and winding and work on making your crank hit something or the bottom,hope this helps......dans right though,lake mac is hard to be consistent on.

Hmmmmmmm........Get out your RAM Custom Cranks close your eyes and cast..........The reason I like Lake Mac is because it appears to be void of shoreline structure and cover when in reality there are rocks/rip rap galore, retaining walls dig outs, rock piles, shell beds, sand flat points, and more ditches than any other lake I know. 

I don't think it is clarity/lack of structure/cover that makes it tough but the instead all the freakin forage - it has all your mainstays plus Gobies, Alwifes, suckers, ect.  It is no coincidence that every major species found here is well above average in size.  If we just make White Bass Hybrids legal to weigh-in tourneys this would be one of the Top Bass lakes in midwest.....................
Luke A. Winstrom - Founder/President
Return On Investment Outdoors
luke.winstrom@roioutdoors.com
Direct Line - (616) 366-1395
Visit us Online @ www.roioutdoors.com

redwing

It's a tough lake no doubt, but my favorite lake for sure.  It better be my favorite lake because i live 1 block from it.  It's one of those lakes where you need a quality "milk run" to get your fish.  There are good docks and docks that i've NEVER caught a fish on, it's crazy.  You can take 2 3+ lber's on a dock and think:  (I got 'em figured out) then not catch another fish on that dock for 1 month.  You can catch smallies out by the piers, or you can fish the largemouth it's up to you.  PM me if you need more info.