Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:01:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Lower Saranac

Started by Buckeyenut313, July 01, 2010, 03:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buckeyenut313

I have a very last minute family trip planned to Lower Saranac next week. Does anybody have anything? I would prefer to target smallies. I have never laid eyes on the Lake and just found out today that we are going on Sunday.

Thanks!

Bender

You are in for a great trip! I lived in Saranac Lake for 9 months and just left this summer.

While I spent most of my time on Upper Saranac, the only downside to Lower is that parking at the launch is limited. The only public launch for trailered boats is at Second Pond on highway 3. There is a well marked channel going up to Lower Saranac from the launch, stay in the channel! There are big boulders just outside of the markers. Once you are on the lake I never had any trouble running anywhere. Just stay out away from points and steer clear of the hazard buoys.

In general fishing is very good on that lake. There are lots of smallies, perch, and pike. During the day I did best fishing deep, usually 15-30'. There are some great humps out there and a lot of underwater points with big rocks on them. Since it sounds like you are a good Ohio State fan shoot me a PM or email to chris@nemesisbaits.com and I'll send you a map that I'll mark up and some waypoints.  :D

Also from Lower you can go up the river to Middle Saranac or down the river to Oseetah, Kiwassa, and Lake Flower. The trip up river to Middle is worth it but schedule a whole day since it is about an hour and 15 minutes to get up the river. There are locks that you can run yourself if they are not attended. There are instructions posted and it's pretty easy. Get ready for a  great trip, I miss that place.

I forgot to mention that you will probably be the only person out there fishing for bass and there probably won't be much boat traffic at all. I wasn't there last summer but when I was out there I was usually one of the only boats on the lake.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

Bender

I also forgot to mention that if you are heading into town and looking for a different place to eat check out www.eatnmeet.com . John is the owner and cook and Mike and him are big pike fishermen plus his food is fantastic. It's not very fast food since he cooks it to order but it's worth the wait and his specials are always good.

And the best ice cream in the world is up at Donnelly's Dairy Farm at the corner of 86 and 186 just north of town.

If you are interested in checking out any of the other lakes in the area let me know and I can give you some tips since some of them are hard to find like Lower and Upper Saint Regis/Spitfire, Tupper (easy to find), Fish Creek Ponds, etc. Lake Placid is 20 minutes away and is a pretty lake but bass fishing there sucks. You picked a great place to go on vacation! 

Also I'm not sure what dates you will be there but there is the annual "North Country Roundup" on Upper Saranac sometime the week of the 12th, usually on a Wed. A friend runs it and will be getting to the cabin on Upper on the 11th.  I can put you in touch with him if you will be there.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com