Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:32:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Mercury Motor Issues

Started by chase5004, May 25, 2010, 10:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chase5004

Lookin for some suggestions on how to deal with a problem.  I have an issue with my 1993 Mercery 150 EFI. While trying to get on plane the motor has completely shut down/ turned off on me mutliple times now. This does not happen all of the time but it seems to be happening more as of late. I put the throttle down, go a bit, and the motor just quits. I can turn the key to the off position, put the throttle in neutral and I can then restart the motor, sometime I can then go about my business other times this problem repeats itself. I don't seem to have a problem while idling around. I have checked all of my connections and I cannot find anything loose.

Any ideas???

thanks in advance
Pat

Durand Dan

Perhaps the check valve in the fuel bulb is bad and gas is running back into the tank?

fasttrack

I'm no expert but it does sound like maybe a fuel flow issue like Dan just mentioned. If you get to the bottom of it, please let me know as I have the exact same motor. Have not encountered your issue but just in case I ever do...
Interstate Batteries      Rocket Marketing
Fast Track Appraisals   West Marine
Nemesis Baits              Kustom Kicker Jigs
CD's Engine Service     J&H Oil

bassmandan

if your near 23 mile and jefferson get it checked out at North Bay Marine
"dont stop keep fishing"

kgr624

I am going to have to agree that it seems to be a fuel problem. You may want to look at the check but also the fuel pump or filter would be the place to look. Have had this happen in other engines that I have recently worked on and it sounds like the fuel is shut off. Rarely will the check be involved in this because you should still have enough pressure from fuel pump to maintain a prime. So my best guess is the fuel pump and the amount of pressure coming out of the line. The only thing that is fishy is that it only happens sometimes?? I would check manual and see what psi the fuel should be running at and get it tested. If I come across it I will let you know. Hope that make sense.
Your either getting better or worse you never just stay the same

denewcomb

Had similar issues just today and was told by marina that it was likely a fuel float switch and apparently Mercury Verados have had this problem. Looks like it a a covered repair but there appears to be some blame on ethanol containing fuels which degrade some of the components.

chase5004

Took it into Wonderland last week. They told me that they lake tested it and found no problems. They checked the fuel pump and things were good to go there, said they tightened a clamp under the hood but they could not find anything else, that was $158 dollars later.

Took the boat out today to test it and do a little fishing, well lets say that my trip only lasted 20 minutes and no fishing was done. In twenty minutes, had the motor died on me 3 times. I will be calling Wonderland tomorrow.

In the mean time any other suggestions as to what I could look for. I guess I would question the fuel issue, because the boat just shuts down, there is no spittin and sputterin at all, it just dies. The gauses also die, but the electronics that run off the crankin battery stay on. It died on me when I was idling in neutral once, once while idling in gear, and once when I had just got on plane.

Thanks
Pat

zooker

fuel pump diaphram for sure it is suckin air...

of course my opinion is that all mercs need to be unbolted and dropped in the lake.. ::) ;D

zooker
live from the land of the crankbait...

chase5004

Not knowing any thing about carbs or injectors, why would the fuel pressure check be fine if the diaphram is sucking air?

Pat

djkimmel

This can be a real tough one to diagnose. Years ago, my partner had carpet fibers in the gas tank cause similar problems. That took quite a while to figure out unfortunately. Same thing - everything checked out fine whenever it was tested.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

SethV

Quote from: chase5004 on June 07, 2010, 06:47:59 PM
Took it into Wonderland last week. They told me that they lake tested it and found no problems. They checked the fuel pump and things were good to go there, said they tightened a clamp under the hood but they could not find anything else, that was $158 dollars later.

You may want to look at Mercury Marine's web page and search for "Premier Certified" dealers - that way you make sure you have techs with all of the proper training working on it.

Does it happen to die when you bump the trim switch?  Are you at WOT?  Hot or Cold engine?  Does it shut down "instantly" or "stumble"?

Try to give us ALL the details that you can.

Hooksetter

You might want to consider N&K Marine. They have always provided first class service for me and my buddies whenever we have had to take our boats in for service, no matter what the issue was.

Willie
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

champion_206

does this do this after the motor is  warm ? is your primer bulb, going soft or hard ( sorry had to ask )      how old is the gas in your boat ?
(Certified Evinrude Mechanic) Anglers Marine, Evinrude, Champion Boats,Crooked Creek Pro Staff

chase5004

The problem: The motor will  just up and quit, won't spit and sputter, just dies. The gauges all die too. Wonderland told me the first time that the fuel pump and preasure checked out fine. The fuel bulb is "hard". The gas is from late last fall with additives added, have been doing that for years without an issue. Boat ran fine the first few times out this year. The problem seems  to be increasing with each new time out. I was out for 20 minute on Monday motor died three times, so I would say this happens when the motor is warmed up. Died once while idling in gear, once while idling at the dock, and once while I had just got on plane and was cruisin. No bells or whistle go off, I have checked under the dash and under the hood to make sure everything is tightly connected. Put new plugs, and fuel filter in this year as well.

I appreciate the PM's, but I figured I would give Wonderland the opportunity to make good on this so I took it back to them today. What has frustrated me so far, and I don't think that I am asking too much. Is when I asked how they are going to make this right, all I get is we can take a look at it again for you. That's great, but what assurance do I have that someone will look at it, not find an issue and then charge me again. Not lookin for a hand out but a little customers reassurance that I won't get hosed again would be great. Like not chargin me for the diagnosis process being that it was already there once for the same problem, and they told me they could not find a problem. If you fellas think I am off base here please let me know. So I am in the wait and see mode now.

Again, thanks for all the PM's and suggestions, keep em coming. Just try not to ask me again if my bulb is "soft" or "hard."

Pat

bob620

I had a similar issue on 1996 mercury EFI. Took it to Blue Water Marine.It ended up being, I think it a was a ec-sending unit. they replaced it, never had another problem with it.The only problem was, it was not cheap.   

Bob690

djkimmel

As I said, this type of problem can be caused by many things and can be difficult to diagnose since it is intermittent with many variables. I had another problem years ago where everything seemed okay, but engine would not fire. Finally turned out to be a wire from the ignition was draped over the steering column and had rubbed bare. When the bare spot touch the metal, it would short out the ignition in a way that kept the engine from firing.

Wonder if you have a short in a wire that could cause something like this?

Contact Ralph Blasey at Wonderland. Introduce yourself. Let him know you are coming there because you are a GreatLakesBass.com member and what you hope the outcome will be. Ralph is a tournament angler and all around nice guy.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Puma

I had a similar problem on a 175 EFI.  After some thorough checking I found that there was a main fuse holder under the engine hood that was bad.  It was really difficult to trouble shoot, but it was an easy and cheap thing to fix.  Frustrating is it quit right in the middle of blast off on a tournament morning!  Not sure if that is your issue, but for the money I would start there and see what happens.  Good Luck.

djkimmel

Another good example. These kinds of issues are often cheap fixes if you can figure out the problem. Fuses, connectors, wiring, all possible.

I had a blown 15 amp fuse (due to a broken trailer wire I didn't notice) trap my truck on a boat ramp for hours because I was not mechanically inclined enough to know that fuse controlled shift control on my pickup. I know that now. But there's always something new. Good luck to a quick fix.

chase5004

Ya, I have checked a lot of the wiring, fuses, panels, battery connections, etc. and then rechecked 2 and 3 time over again before I broke down and took it into the shop.

Talked with Wonderland today said they lake tested it and it quit on the mechanic (good to know it happened for them). Said they checked the battery and tightened the ignition wiring. That would be great if that was the problem, but I am not that mechanically challenged. (I had already done both, cleaned the battery terminals and tightend the ignition wiring, hhhmmmmmm.)  They told me that I could pick it up or wait until Monday when they could lake test it again. Well, for as much as it pained me to say I told them to keep it until them lake tested it again, because I want it fixed.

Stay tuned, we'll see what happens.

Pat