Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:33:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

On board charger help

Started by Dan, April 27, 2006, 09:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

Just got a call tonight from the mechanic that I have and he was doing the spring prep on my boat and I asked him to check the charger. Last year I had battery issues. He says the charger is shot and so I need to buy a charger. I have a 24 volt system. Minn Kota 74lbs. What's the recommendation?  I value the opinion of the anglers on this board. I am mechanically impaired so I would really appreciate some input. Thanks!
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

canvsbk

Most guys are going to recomend Dual Pro. Very nice units.
I have a Cabella's Pro Sport and love it. Good luck.
Look past what they want you to see.

Andy

I have had a Dul-pro in my Champ now for 8 years.If this one would go bad I would buy  a nother. Love it

djkimmel

Dual Pro's are popular and seem dependable. I have been using Pro Mariner for many years and they seem like great chargers for a very good price. I wore one out and got it refurbished for a reasonable price.

I camp a lot and some campgrounds are underpowered. The Pro Mariner does an excellent job of compensating for the reduced output so I get a faster charge and full charge more often than some of the guys camping around me. I've seen many mornings when some guys chargers were still not showing full charge, while mine were done. That is the main reason I chose Pro Mariner.

The other reason being that we often don't have 10 or more hours to fully charge our batteries (easily needed at times with 10amp/channel chargers). Pro Mariners have been available in 15 and 30 amp/channel chargers. Mine is an older 30 amp/channel model (meaning each of 3 separate lines can deliver up to 30 amps each). 15 amps/channel is what some deep cycle battery manufacturers recommend for completely charging their batteries -(ideally the best of all is a long trickle charge, but we rarely have the luxury of that amount of time).

What type of batteries do you have - regular wet cell?

Things get a little more complicated if you gel or AGM type batteries.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

rufus

If your old charger is a dual pro all you need to do is call them. They will fix you right up with a trade-in on a new one at a very low price. I don't know if they are the best charger on the market, but their service is outstanding. I have had three issues with mine in the past and they have taken care of me with a new charger in usually 2 days! If you would like to upgrade they will also do that for a nominal fee. Go to their website and chekc them out it will give you all the contact info. God Bless and Good Fishin'

blakstr1

I bought a 4 bank Pro Mariner this year.  For a couple reasons, it chargers in stages (DJK explained all that), then the wieght was, for instance, less than half of a Minnkota 4 bank charger.  Price was good as well, almost half the price of the Guest 4 bank chargers..warranty info seemed good too.  I did alot of research before I bought it, i'm satisfied with my purchase.  I can't really tell you how it performed yet but will be able to soon, i would imagine you will have bought before that point though...  Check them out at www.promariner.com I bought mine at BPS but they also carry them at most Gander Mountains.  I talked to some battery and electronic reps down at the BPS spring classic this year and they recommended the Pro Mariner chargers..of course they are a bit biased but they presented it a little differently, they told me we recommend the PM, but if you don't buy a PM...whatever you do don't buy...yada, yada....
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

Dan

Do I understand the lingo right. Two bank simply means charges 2 batteries. Now do I need a lead to the starting battery? Which in my case with a 24 volt system would be the only reason for a three bank. Mechanic says that the motor takes care of the starting battery. I know that much, but I always in the past topped that battery off with a charger any way. Sooo do I get a two bank or three and in the dual pro I don't really see what the extreme series chargers give you versus their cheaper model. Hey Lt. Dan who carries the pro mariner? 

Thanks guys! Four replies at the drop of a hat! I appreciate it.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

blakstr1

BPS and Gander Mountains both carry the Pro Mariner chargers..you may find them other places as well...

I run 3 TM batteries and a cranking battery, thats why i bought the 4 bank charger.  Its easy they are all hooked up and I plug in one lead..easy and neat.  You have to charge the cranking battery..

I would buy the 3 bank charger, have one bank per battery on board, one lead per battery and you'll have a good worry free setup.  Good Luck..btw..if you know anybody who works at GM, they are having a friends and family weekend right now through 4/30 at alot of the stores, 10-20% off if you get your hands on one of the top secret coupons.
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

Dan

Gander Mountain carries the Mariner in a pro 150 three bank for 269 ish. Looks like I will go with this one. Now, another question. How much do think it is reasonable to expect the marine dealer to get for installing this unit? I do have a buddy who may do it for me, but if the marine dealer is reasonable I may go that route.

joshimoto son

Dan,

Unless they have to tear apart half of your boat... I think you could probably put it in yourself.
Between te instructions and all the great guys here on the board, we could probably talk you through it.

It's not very difficult at all.

But, if they say 20 buck to install... I'd say let them do it. I'd wouldn't go much more than that.
Then again... I do have a strong background in electricity.

We'll get you through it.

Here's my cell # 517-206-2484, I'll be on Erie tomorrow, I can talk you through it if you like.

joshimoto son ;D

Dan

Thanks

I'll give the marina a call and sounds like my limited knowledge and great forum contacts will get me on the water soon than later. Thanks again everyone.

canvsbk

You're right - 1 bank to each battery. Sometimes, depending on your big motor and where you fish, the alternator on the big motor never really gets a chance to charge the battery because you don't run the motor long enough. And of course the big motor may very well be drawing juice 24/7. If you run other pumps and stuff off this battery you may be way ahead to go with the 3 bank.
Last note: if you have to use an extension cord to reach make sure it's at least 14ga., 12 is best.
Look past what they want you to see.

Dan

Once again, thank you. I really appeciate the help.

blakstr1

Dan...after just installing one of the Pro Mariners i can tell you they are a since and they provide really good instructions..you should have no problems.
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

Hooksetter

Dan- I installed a new 3-bank Guest charger in my Stratos last year. It only took me 1/2 hour to remove the old charger and install the new charger. The instructions were very clear and easy to follow.
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

Dan

Well, just when I finally decided to go with the Pro Mariner three bank onboard charger I talk to Gary Evans, The Gary Evans and he says he really likes a Dual Pro model that charges while you're running. He thought it was the Pro XS Charge on the Run. Anybody ever hear or use this charging system. My fishing partner has a stealth charger on his cat and I'll have to admit this thing really seems to work well. We'll often fish 8 hours and get back to the hotel and not even have to put the boat on the charger. Don't know what the stealth charging system runs but Gary thought the Dual Pro version was around $300.

blakstr1

didn't know dual pro makes one, i'd check that out...i know the price of the Stealth is up around $550-$600..
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

joshimoto son

http://www.dualpro.com/new/px1.html

Dan,

I have this unit that goes on my boat. It monitors the charge on the start battery and once full, automatically switches over and charges two banks of trolling motor batteries. It only does this when you have the big motor running.

I also have a Dual Pro three bank charger for my 36 volt trolling motor.

I took the monitoring system off to give me a little more room in my boat.

If it is something you might be interested in, I might be willing to sell it.

Have you installed you three bank yet?

Josh