Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:07:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

battery question???

Started by chase5004, January 22, 2006, 09:29:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chase5004

I thought this topic came up on the old board however, I could not find it.

I need to get three new batteries this year. I have used Interstate marine and have been very happy with them, but they are kinda $$$$. I was looking at the XPS batteries at BPS and was curious to know if any of you fellas have had any experience with them good or bad? What other batteries might you recommend?

Thanks
Pat

Roy Randolph

Pat before you go changing brands try this

Call the Iterstate Batteries Troy Warehouse at 248 589 9084 and ask for Chris or Jeph yes its spelled ?jeph? they are brothers and own the warehouse.

Drop my name and tell them what you?re looking for.

#1They should be cheaper then a store and #2 they will be fresher

Good luck this season!
Help a handicapped angler live his dream!

blakstr1

i'm looking really hard at the Cabelas AGM's..they have been really durable and they are walk-in and walk out with a new one if one goes bad by chance...
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

yukonjack2

When I was down at Ranger boats for the product knowlege last month, they said to stay away from Optima - AGM should be fine.  they of course reccomend everstarts, probably related to sponsorship.  I have 3 Everstarts ( came with the boat),with no problems going into year 3.

Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

djkimmel

The thing about buying 'store brand' batteries is knowing who actually made them.

I buy Deka because I know they made them. I know what I'm getting and where they came from. Plus Deka (East Penn Manufacturing) makes all 3 main battery types - wet cell, AGM and Gel - check this great battery difference chart (PDF though so don't click if you don't have Adobe reader installed) out for the differences and their applications - another reason I appreciate Deka - they've taught me a ton about batteries.

I use wet cell Marine Master 31s because they fit my application the best.

There are only so many battery manufacturers and some of the store brands are made by more than one. I've had anglers tell me, "I don't like brand X so I buy brand Y." And I'm standing there knowing that brand Y is made by the company brand X. Go figure.

I don't know who makes Cabela's or if they'll tell you. Some of the EverStart are made by Johnson Control - makers of Interstate and Optima (their home brand) and quite a few store brands. Some EverStarts were made by Exide. I think that has gone away, but I have not checked on that in a while. I used Interstates before I switched to Deka two years ago. I get my Deka from Wonch Battery in Michigan (517-394-3600 | 800-444-4148).

BPS told me 2 or 3 years ago that Deka made their XPS batteries. That can change from year to year, and from battery model to battery model, especially with a store brand as large as BPS.

You don't have to know who actually makes your batteries. And I don't have all the answers as to quality and production differences because of arrangements between major stores and the original manufacturer, but I really do believe knowledge is power (and makes for smarter purchases).

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

I forgot to mention confidence and actual experience are nice too. If you've used a brand and like it - had great luck with, then stick with it.

If you know anglers who fish a lot, you can do like we do here and ask them their experiences over time and seasons.

Just remember that the store brands can change year-to-year, so one year you may be using an EverStart made by Johnson Control and buy the same 'model' EverStart the next year and it is being made by a totally different company. It may work for you and it may not.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

chase5004

A HUGE thanks to Roy Randolph.

Roy, I spoke with the people at the Troy warehouse. Man, what a wealth of knowledge they are. They assisted me with the situation.

Thanks again, I look forward to helping you out some day

Thanks
Pat

Bulletproof

Everstart have never let me down.  Unless I forget to charge them :'(
I am haunted by waters.