Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 10:55:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Lake Ovid

Started by jacksonmj, April 14, 2010, 07:56:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacksonmj

I need some help here, went out to Ovid on Monday and I can't believe how muddy the water is! What colors are good to try out there and do the weeds stay bad all year long, I couldn't go a cast without my lure getting stuck in the weeds. I really thought it would be nice to live close to a lake but I guess I'm going to have to find somewhere else to fish. Any help would be great, I don't need any secerts just a little jump start.

Bender

I've only been out there a couple times but if the weeds are heavy try some frogs this summer, that will be fun. I stopped there once last summer on the way home from a job and had some luck around the island just north of the launch and then up in the northwest corner there are some trails that lead down to shore.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

Hooksetter

Ovid does get muddy, but the norm there is stained water, if memory serves. Don't give up on Ovid, there are some pigs there as well as a healthy population of 2-3 lbers. It is alot of fun to throw a frog there later in the summer, me and my son-in-law have had some very good days there.

Black/blue flake, green pumpkin and smoke pearl blue are my best colors for plastics there. However, last year baby bass [light green/gold and silver flake] was our best big fish bait.

Spinnerbaits and cranks produce well also, chartruese with some brown or rootbeer and/or blue worked best.

I'm sure Dan will speak up, he knows Ovid real well.

Hope this helps.

Willie
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

McCarter

only been there a few times but did ok throwing frogs on the mats.  also caught them good on a jig ( black ), caught a few on crankbaits, and a few on tubes as well.

if you really want to have some fun, throw a chartruse and white spinnerbait with gold and silver blades for non stop hammer handle musky action. 

McCarter himself :-\'

VinceR

The normal water color is stained, to clear (visibility down to 5 or 6'). Right now, what you are seeing is mud from a major spring runoff. The creek that feed this lake runs through a lot of farm country. It will clear up as we progress into the spring/summer. During the heat of summer, green tint from an algae bloom isn't uncommon.

The weeds will likely remain fairly thick (and to the surface) in the shallow areas. They haven't cut them down for the past three, or four years. One advantage is that they will clearly define the many shallow humps and points. The south end typically remains weedy, but the channel will be clearly defined.

I've done faily well throwing topwater and spinner baits, in the spring. Work the points and inside turns from shallow, to deep. As the water warms (late spring), I would start concentrating on the weed edges, working the more sparse weeds around the edges of the humps and points. My preferred baits are 5" flippin tubes, creature type baits (beavers, craws, etc), jig and craw.

You might want to refrain from throwing your Lucky Craft baits here, though. It has a very healthy, and agressive population of Tiger Muskies, too. Very exciting on a tube on spinning tackle with 8lb. line.

For the past couple of years, the summer bite has come on frogs over the thick stuff, and punching a jig & craw through the thick stuff. There is 3' to 4' feet of water under the weeds on the humps up on the north end of the lake (towards the dam).

This works pretty well until the heat of the summer begins to kill off the weeds near the surface. This when you want to start trying to locate some of the various underwater structure (creek channel, stumps, brushpiles, old fence rows, etc), and start probing that with your favorite "search" bait. Cranks, Carolina rig, jig & pig, drop shot will all work.

One caveat to this is that the frog bite has produced all summer for the past two years. Dying weeds didn't seem to matter.

Don't give up on this lake. It can be verrrry good, to excellent. Typical winning weights have been in the 12 to 16 lb. range (3 hr. tournaments).

Give Lake Lansing a try, too. Shhhhh! It's one of our best kept secrets, here in Mid-Michigan.

djkimmel

VinceR, those are true northern musky now, not tiger hybrids. The hybrids died out a long time ago because they quit planting them many, many years ago and they don't spawn.

These new muskies however are purebred and may spawn. I have seen them all sizes the past 3 years, but for McCarter, in general we're talking large ax handles and up, not hammer handles. The average fish is over 3 feet long now with many in the 40 to 45 inch range. Don't remember which year exactly the new stocking started, but about 5 years ago give or take a year, MDNR restarted the musky stocking program with pure northern musky after a long break.

Look for the ones with crankbaits hanging off their lips. Many of them are mine!!!!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

jacksonmj

Thanks for the replies everyone! I went out there and couldn't believe how dark the water was, but I did see some crawdads and they were bright red so I know the bass will be able to find them easy enough. The muskie out there will be a challange and I hope they don't get to many of my lures. Someone let me know when they are headed out this season so that I might be able to follow along and see how it done there. I live 20 minutes from the lake so I will probably be there often!

VinceR

Dan, come to think of it, I did hear that. Not to mention, the last couple that I caught definitely did not look like the hybrid variety. And I have seen some dandies.

djkimmel

Often... all I see are the teeth :o

They're in trouble this year!!! I bought a new big ole Cowgirl spinner!!! Besides... I need some pictures for greatlakesmusky.com!!!

I think I'll be able to throw the big spinner for an hour or two anyway after my January peacock bass chopper workouts!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.