Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 09:09:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Rod, Reel, Line, Lure

Started by Durand Dan, December 30, 2009, 09:59:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Durand Dan

Which part of the total setup do you consider the most critical part of your fishing arsenal?  :-\' I know the best answer, if money isn't an object is all components should be considered equal, but I don't think most of us fall in that catagory. ;D Where do you invest the bulk of your money?

mikesmiph

Line and Lures. I have caught some big fish on inexpensive reels and rods. Granted, I may miss a few, but line and lures are the easiest to but top of the line. For me anyway, not having an unlimited expense account.

Waterfoul

For me lately it's been rods and reels.  I have been lightening up all my rigs the last couple of years.  The tendonitis in my right elbow has forced me to think LIGHT.  The only way to really get a lighter set up is to buy more expensive gear.  Plus... lighter is almost always more sensitive.  For example, my Shimano Cumara/Symetre drop shot rod and reel combo is a couple ounces lighter than the St. Croix Premier/Sonoma rig I was using a couple seasons ago... and way more sensitive.  Nearly 3 times the cost though.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

TCook

With out a doubt I believe that rods are the most crucial part of your setups. I have been using G Loomis for the last three years and am starting to upgrade to the GLXs. It makes a huge difference and the investment is well worth the rewards. I don't think I will ever use a rod other than the high end G Loomis. Second is your line then reels.
FISH HARD!!!

oldjigger

the most important link is line.  especially if your going to lighter tackle.  all are important but if your line is bad you will be terribly disappointed.  I used to use GLloomis but have changed to B & R Outlaw rods which have same warranty and to me feel lighter and more sensitive.

DICK

McCarter

i dont think there is any one answer for this.  it all depends on what you are fishing at the time.  If you want to be effective, you have to consider all aspects.  You can have the right line but be using the wrong rod.  a good example of this would be drop shotting.  you want to use the lightest line possible when drop shotting, not only for less visibility to the fish, but also to present the bait properly.  if your using too heavy action a rod, your going to be pulling fish off and breaking your line.  On the flip side, if you are flippin mats or frog fishing, you will need a combo of the right line, the right rod, and the right reel to be succesful.  not enough meat in your stick and you cant pull them out of the junk.  not enough drag/torque on the reel and you cant reel them in.  Not enough strength in your line and the reel and rod dont matter cuz your never getting the fish to the boat.  I think rod sensitivity is very important for some applications, but means nothing in others.  i think reel quality is always important but dont think you have to spend $200+ to get the quality a lot of people think they need.  I have a few high end reels but most are $120 or less.  I think light equipment is nice but when you really think about it, how much difference does an ounce or 2 make....really? 

McCarter himself :-\'

Waterfoul

Quote from: McCarter on December 30, 2009, 03:20:10 PM
I think light equipment is nice but when you really think about it, how much difference does an ounce or 2 make....really? 

McCarter himself :-\'

Well, when you reach my age and have the elbows and shoulders I am stuck with... 2-3 ounces means a LOT during a full day of fishing.  Trust me.  I am mainly a finesse fisherman so light equipment (I mean weight, not rod action) is essential for me... spend ALL day drop shotting with a set up that weighs 15 ounces... then do it the next day with a rig that weighs 12 ounces and I gaurentee you will notice the difference.

Anyway... 3rd on my list of importance would be line.  It's the connection between you and the fish.  I ONLY use Power Pro braid and P-Line florocarbon/co-polymer/mono lines.  I can honestly say that I've only broken off maybe 2-3 fish over the last SEVERAL seasons.  Matching line to the conditions and methods you're using is very important.  Do your research right and you won't be losing any fish/baits to broken lines.  Now zebra muscles are another story!!!  LOL!!
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Redbone

If I had to pick.... it would be Lure(1), Line(2), reel(3), then the rod.

Importance: I'm breaking it down like this.  I could catch a hawg on a snoopy pole with stock line. ;D  But if the fish doesn't bite the lure, you will not have a chance.

If your talking about the amount of money spent. I would reverse my order.  80% rod and reel, 10% on line, 10% on lures. And i'm guessing that over time the percentage would even out.

Just my 2 cents... :P

motocross269

Quote from: oldjigger on December 30, 2009, 02:53:40 PM
the most important link is line.  especially if your going to lighter tackle.  all are important but if your line is bad you will be terribly disappointed.  I used to use GLloomis but have changed to B & R Outlaw rods which have same warranty and to me feel lighter and more sensitive.

DICK

I agree.....I get the quickest feedback as far as sensitivity goes with quality line...Rods are super important but the link between the rod and the fish is critical....Quality Flouro and braided line make a world of difference....

I think we anglers make lures out to be critical but if you cover the basic depth ranges and presentations you are good to go.....For LSC waters you could win tournaments year around with Tubes, Med/deep running crankbaits and Jerkbaits...A couple colors of each and you are in business...Of course I have a basement full of tackle but that is an obsession not a necessity........

Hooksetter

Think of all those things as links in a chain. The chain is only as strong as the weakest link. That makes it hard to say which one is more important. I try to match all those things to what it is I am trying to accomplish so they all work together as one cohesive unit, hopefully catching a bunch of bass! ???

Using the lightest weight equipment I can is important to me for a couple of reasons:

I think lighter is more sensitive.
I have had surgery on both wrists for carpal tunnel and I have osteoarthritis in both hands as well. Every ounce I can save in equipment lets me fish longer with less pain. You can't put a price on that! ;D

Willie

Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

motocross269

Something to think about as far as Rod weight....I switched to Med/Hvy 7'6" rods this year and have noticed an increase in my hooking percentages...(From 6'6" med and 7' med).......(braided and flouro line helps also),,,,Not so critical when vertical dropshotting but being able to move line becomes important while dragging tubes, flukes, throwing cranks or any other tactic where you have a significant amount of line out when a fish strikes.....

Flippin222

I would vote for the line. I have had fish rapped around dock posts, lower units, logs, trees, bushes, pads, buried deep in weeds, you name it and I have probably had a bass hooked near it and tangled up in it (even a stickup on the edge of a gator bed in Eufala).

Now I don't believe a reel will do much for you in these instances. A rod will not do a lot either. Although a higher quality rod may have helped detect a couple of the bites earlier and prevented some of the tough spots, but not many. As far as terminal tackle, most of what I do is soft plastics and generally they are all about the same price.
Don't sweat the petty things; Don't pet the sweaty things

dartag

Guess i would have to say time on the water.  We live in a state where you can legally fish for bass about 7 months a year.    you can buy everything, read articles, watch videos. But you still need time on the water.   I enjoy my prefish days almost as much as tourny days.