Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:15:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Where to stay on first trip to Traverse city at the end of may bringing boats.

Started by trebor2d, December 18, 2009, 12:06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trebor2d

HELP
Where should we stay, where should be our starting point. We are going for the bronze backs. Our first trip here so we are looking for some input from experienced fish releasers.

Thanks in advance.

Robert

Dan

If you are heading for Traverse the end of May you'll be way too early for Grand Traverse Bay. They won't be on the beds there until the end of June first part of July. You may want to look at Whitewater Park on Elk Lake. It's a nice campground with a good cement ramp and lots of room to park boats.  You will have access to Elk, Skegamog, and Torch from the campground. Lots of trailerable lakes nearby as well. You'll still be looking at prespawn fishing though even on the inland lakes.
If you are not in to camping then you may want to look at getting one of the cabins at Interlochen State Park. They sleep four and have room to park at least two boats at each cabin. You have to get online now to book them though.
At Interlochen you're right on Duck Lake, across the street for Green Lake, and just down the road from Long Lake. You are about 20 minutes from Traverse.
Check out my teardropbass.com website for the articles from the last several years. There are several on the lakes mentioned above.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

thedude

my buddy is GM of the Fairfield Inn as you come into town. Very nice place as he takes great care of it. His bro usually keeps his jet sled up there so i'm sure he can help accomodate boats/chargers etc. He's a fisherman and hunter as well so i'm sure he can get  you situated.  shoot me a PM if you're interested i'll give you his info.

As for what dan said - i've never fished the bay, but have always been told that mid-late june is usually the time to be there by a couple friends who used to fish there regularly.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

capt charlie's charters

can tell you this from experience, ya better know where your going on the Bay if you hope to catch fish.  you can read newsprint at 25ft, more structure (rocks and such) then you can imagine and your going to ask yourself
" where are da fish ??? "

capt charlie

Dan

First week of June to mid June depending for Traverse area inland lakes spawn. They weren't on beds until the first week of July on the bay this year and just about any I can remember. They are not hard to find when they are in the south end. They'll start near town and then the spawn works it way up the peninsula. There is just so much water to cover that it takes time to find the beds. A lot of guys improvise long kill switch cords so they can put the boat in gear and use the big motor, steering with the trolling motor down. Big fish tend to be out further and they can be much tougher to spot. If there is very much wind, or the sun angle is bad, you are SOL. You'd better have them GPSed ahead of time then. Nice thing about them is that if you have them GPSed from last year they can, and often are, in the exact spots they were in the year before.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

skeeterman190

I would suggest. that u check out Lake Leelanau.. its a relitively smaller lake 2k a piece and the fish really gang up in easy areas.. We usually stay at the Super 8 right next 2 Hooters....ha ha strategy son..its pretty nice the parking is goood and  the electricity is available. The rooms are cheap and its closer to elk and torch and the east bay..
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com